“Vintage Big Bear Cabins--Quiet and central” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Timber Haven Lodge

Timber Haven Lodge
San Diego, California
“Vintage Big Bear Cabins--Quiet and central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a small, privately-owned lodge with vintage Big Bear cabins. If you are looking for a corporate, cookie-cutter motel try somewhere else. If you like rustic Big Bear, this is the place to try. The owners, Mehrdad and Karen, are very personable and made us feel welcome immediately. The grounds are well-kept, the cabin exteriors cute. The smallest cabins (1 thru 6) have full kitchen, small living area, small bedroom, and an adequate bathroom. Because of size, these cabins are better suited for 2 adults, although some of them have sofa beds in living room. The carpet and sofa in our cabin seemed a bit worn, but the rest of the cabin was spotless. Sheets were clean & crisp (does someone iron them??), towels were nice quality, TP, tissues and paper towers were plentiful. The spa, ping pong tables, patio furniture and BBQs were all accessible and added to the charm. Continental breakfast is included. Website does nice job of listing all amenities. Location is great--very short drive to 2 marinas, the village, Boulder Bay park, the Alpine slide, the National Forest and the Big Bear Mountain Brewery. Set away from Hwy 18--it was QUIET--I slept like a log.

Room Tip: Cabin 7 had more space, so it would be better for 4-6 people. It has been thoughtfully updated, whi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marla F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I planned to go to big bear lake with my parents,my husband and my 2-month old, so I think cabin would be great to stay. I spent one day on internet to do the cabin research, after reading tons of reviews for almost 30 cabins, I decided to go with Timber Haven or the other one. I called both,but only Timber Haven had vacancy on the date we arrived, so let's stay at Timber Haven.

Just when we arrived, I knew we would have a fantastic time here. The location is good ( you can check on google map),the cabins are sooo...o cute,and Karen is so nice and friendly. She showed us the room and prepared the crib for my baby.

We stayed cabin 7, it is roomy and neat.Rustic decoration doubles the mood of being on vacation. The kitchens has everything you need for cooking,yes, it is a full kitchen. Everything is good,we,especially my parents love it a lot.We will definitely come back.

P.S: I checked 'the other one' next day and felt so glad it was full so that we could stay Timber Haven.

Room Tip: cabin 7 is the only one for a family size >=4.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place has a lot of potential. Cottages are very cute from the outside, and location is great. The hot tub was great, and the owner is very nice and friendly.

I am picky because I have stayed at many upscale places and expect a few simple things in return for my money: cleanliness, comfort, and good customer service. At Timber Lodge, I did not feel I got the first two. I did not feel comfortable with the very old carpet in the room and decor that looks like something from the 50's. The tv looked like it was 100 years old, and so did the bedding. You can get a flat screen 32" tv for $200! I did not want to touch anything because it looked like it was used by the whole village. Good thing I brought my own pillows, sheets, towels, and slippers. This is how I was able to feel comfortable here.

Come on, spend a few extra bucks and update this place! Cozy doesn't have to mean old and worn out. You can add modern furniture and decor and still have the cozy feel. Until it is updated, I am not returning. I am going back to Big Bear this fall and will stay at a different place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I are newlyweds and we have stayed at the Timber Haven Lodge several times. We always enjoy our stay. The fireplace is very cozy and the jacuzzi tub is very romantic. The cabins are very clean and well maintained. We also love skiing at Big Bear but don't like the crowds downtown. This is also a great retreat for my two young children (from a prior marriage) who enjoy playing and sledding in the nearby snow across the street within walking distance. The scenery is amazing and breath-taking. The owners Mehrad and Karen have always been very sweet to us and very accommodating. Our 1st Anniversary is coming up and this would be the perfect romantic getaway. If you haven't stayed there, put it on your priority list of things to do. You won't regret it! Vern & Margo Rogers

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My wife and I decided we were due for a weekend getaway to unwind. After much research, Timber Haven Lodge ranked as the #2 choice. Since the #1 choice was unavailable for the dates we wanted, we decided to give Timber Haven Lodge a shot. I'm so glad that we did. We ordered one of the "romantic" packages, which included a 1-hour massage, and we chose to stay in Cabin #8 as it seemed most suited for couples. I can't say anything negative about this lodge. Everything was well-done - from the rose petals sprinkled throughout the room and chocolate-covered strawberries to the terry cloth bathrobes. The feel of the cabin was quaint and roomy. Owners Mehrdad and Karen did everything they could to make this a perfect weekend for us by going above and beyond our expectations. My wife and I highly recommend this lodge for visits to Big Bear Lake.

Room Tip: Cabin #8 is located under the owner's residence, so you'll hear the wood floors creak as the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Upland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I found Timber Haven Lodge when I was trying to plan a romantic getaway for my boyfriend and myself. I booked a three night stay there, and the price was amazing, we only stayed one night, however; his mother passed away and we decided to stay with family up there. The owner of Timber Haven Lodge was so sweet and extremely caring, one of the nicest people I have met in Big Bear Lake and I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit the area. Our stay was during December, and I can hardly describe the beautiful view outside our window as it had snowed at least half a foot during the night. The cabin was spacious, and had everything we needed to enjoy our time there. I might have only been there one night, but I never wanted to leave. It felt like home.

Room Tip: They are also pet friendly on some cabins!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debnugget
Apple Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have stayed in this lodge twice, and I wouldn't change anything about it. The first time, we stayed in the smaller cabin on Christmas Day. The family staff went out of their way to accomendate our family, even though it was a holiday. The next time, we stayed in the log cabin. I fell in love with it! Very spacious, wonderful ambience, and updated bathrooms and kitchen. Karen and Mehrdad work hard on the upkeep of the property and have pride in ownership. Even though I have been there twice, Karen remembered my daughter's name! This place comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family