“Not worth it” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Bear Cottages

Black Bear Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear Region
Black Bear Cottages
Southern California
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2006

Lumpy beds, no wood for fireplace (as promised on website), burned out light bulbs.

Innkeeper was not helpful. Cleaning fee was $60.00 for a one night stay -- and innkeeper charged additional because "food was left out." I had left an opened package of butter and some apples in the cabin thinking that the next guests or housekeepers could use them.

Innkeeper complained about "boxes left out." There was one box we left by the fireplace, and that was for the wood that I went out to purchase at 7:00 pm, after not finding wood as promised in our cabin.

Would not recommend to friends or acquaintances.

• Liked — Mountain area
  • Disliked — Lumpy beds, inadequate innkeeper service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try CoolCabins in Big Bear instead. Better prices, service and proerties.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EllenJane
Black_Bear_Cottages, OWNER at Black Bear Cottages, responded to this review, 1 January 2007
This guest rented one of our private homes, located about 2 miles from our office. She first arrived at our office at 11:30am for a 3:00pm check in on the first day of the busiest week of the year. Our website clearly states check in is 3:00pm. When a guest books over the phone with us, we always tell the guest that check in is at 3:00pm. We always send a confirmation Email that states in bold print that check in time is 3:00pm. I apologized (not that there was anything to apologize for but we always try to promote the feeling that anything the guest wants is OK and if we can't accommodate that, we do regret it) and explained that check in was at 3:00pm and that due to the holiday and same-day turnovers in the cabins that we would not be able to offer early check in like we might otherwise do. The guest was clearly upset. She then returned at 1:30pm again asking to check in. I again explained that check in was at 3:00pm at which time she said her daughter was cold. As I looked at her children all warmly ensconced in their late model Volvo, I started to get a bad 'vibe' about this guest. Then, she arrived again at 2:45pm wanting to check in and at that time I did check her in. She called a short while later asking if there were any spare light bulbs. I apologized and said I wasn't sure if there were any or not at the cabin, but I would be happy to deliver some to her shortly. She then asked me if I would pick up some butter to deliver to her! Since I had some in my own refrigerator, I agreed (trying to provide good service). Then, one of her children called me a few minutes later to say they found light bulbs, so no need to deliver any.

They checked out the very next day after a one day visit. The guest complained that I never delivered her butter. As the owner of the business, I always try to be the one who inspects the cabins in between guests. When I inspected the home after this guest’s visit, I found the following:

1. Three half empty bottles of water and one bottle of Gatorade spilled on the furniture. The Gatorade was pinkish in color and stained the chair it was spilled on.

2. Numerous food items left out in the kitchen and dining room. The guest said in her review that she left the food there for the next guest. I doubt seriously that any guest would want half eaten apples or a partial stick of butter which is only a small part of what the guest left out on the dining room table.

3. Dirty underwear including soiled, stained panties. Nobody should be asked to handle someone else's dirty underwear and this was not left by accident as they were clearly visible on top of the bed and would have been difficult to 'accidentally' leave there.

Our Terms and Conditions are very liberal compared to other lodges up here, but it does clearly state that the guest would be charged for any unnecessary cleaning and also for failing to take their garbage with them to one of the public dump spots here. The reason for this is that the City of Big Bear Lake only picks up garbage at full-time residences and the home this guest rented was a vacation rental. This is standard practice here and she would have been charged similarly at any other lodge or resort. It was shocking to me that a seemingly responsible adult would not only treat someone else’s home with such lack of respect, but to do so in front of her children is even more shocking.

The guest said in her review that there was no firewood as promised. We offer free presto-log type firewood (something no other lodge here does) and there were two of them in the cabin for the guest. I know this because I personally delivered them during my inspection. Two of the four beds are brand new and the others are relatively new. No other guest has ever complained about them and I cannot find any ‘lumps’ in them as the guest claimed. We do accept total responsibility for the fact that there was one burned out light bulb in one of the lamps. Our housekeeping staff should have caught that, and in the event they missed it, I should have caught it at my inspection.

This is the first time ever since we have been in business that we have charged a guest extra for violation of our Terms and Conditions, a copy of which the guest signed and another copy of which the guest was given for their own reference. In addition to asking guests to sign this document, I also go over the items listed with each guest so there is no misunderstanding. We've had teenage snowboarders here who haven't left a mess as bad as this guest. She would not be welcome back under any circumstances.

Solo
Business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2006

My wife and I are snowbirds who live in Seattle during the summer and Palm Springs in the winter. We love to ski, so we looked for a place to stay in Big Bear back in February and found Black Bear Cottages. They are very convenient to both ski resorts and in fact they are just down the road from one of the shuttle parking lots so we didn't even need to use our car to go skiing which is great considering the resort parking lots get so full that it takes forever to leave if you wait until about 4 when everyone else is leaving.

We really liked the owner who took time to talk to us and find out about us. He recommended several restaurants and we liked all of them. If you go to Big Bear make sure to have dinner at the Peppercorn Grill! Anyhow we really liked the owner and he made us feel right at home. Most places just have hired employees to greet you and it's just not the same.

The cabin was really deluxe on the inside. All of the furniture was new and so was the bed. My nosy wife even lifted the sheets to see what brand the mattress was! And speaking of sheets they were the high thread count type with the stripes in them like in a nice hotel and the towels were much thicker than you would expect in a mountain cabin. There was no extra charge for anything. We even were given a list of DVD's that we could borrow for free. The spa tub was new and the owner told us that he installed one of those tankless hot water heaters so there would be an endless supply of hot water if we wanted it. Those extra touches really mean a lot.

Anyhow, we enjoyed the stay so much that we decided to go back in May before we left for Seattle for the summer and when we returned the cabins had been totally repainted and they look very nice. The new colors just really pop out and they look as nice on the outside as they already did on the inside. Also, there was now a jar full of chocolates on the coffee table too which we emptied twice! Everything is first class here and I would definitely recommend this place and the best news of all is that returning guests get a standing discount! We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed May 2006
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank LoveToTravel29
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2006

We found the place on the internet. It said they had all new furniture and beds which sounded nice so we booked for a weekend. When we checked in, we were given a list of DVDs that were FREE to borrow! We've never had free videos anywhere else in Big Bear before. We also were told that there were free presto logs in the cabin for us, too. The owner is real friendly and told us he just recently bought the property. He said he was painting the exteriors real soon and even showed us different paint samples and asked our opinions. It's a good thing, too, because the exterior paint looks worn but once they are repainted, they will be real cute little country cottages. On the inside, they were just great. Our cabin had a huge king sized bed and a leather sofa and chair and a nice jacuzzi tub. Like I said, they gave us free presto logs so we just stayed in all night in the tub watching videos with a fire in the fireplace. The bed was nicer than the one we have at home and the towels were real thick - it was a perfect getaway!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member