“Vintage "Resort" misleading advertisement”

Vintage Lakeside Inn
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I understand the travel industry and I am fully aware of "you get what you pay for. What I don't understand is "dis-information and misrepresentation. First of all I don't know what the think a "Resort" is. This is nothing more than an old road side motel with no pool, no air conditioning, wifi that doesn't work more than 15 yards from the office. The photos on their website are either very old or staged very well. I wish that I could post the photos that I took. The "fully equipped kitchen" was a broken stove with a hot plate sitting on top, with ants! The "Restaurant on site" was not open at any time during our stay (4th of July weekend). The sitting area included some very old coaches with disgusting upholstery. The view from the front door was a trailer park cluttered with junk and old pallets.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Vintage Lakeside Inn

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I now always stay here when visiting Big Bear. The rooms are very spacious also come with a great continential breakfast. I have stayed in many of the different rooms some beds are better than others. They are slowing upgrading tv's to flat screens from what I heard. I have never been unhappy arriving or leaving The Vintage Resort, Carla at the front desk has always greeted us with a warm smile and has made sure we are taken care of while we stay.
Thank you Carla you have always been the best! It would be nice if they had a jacuzzi but I'm pretty much snowboarding and sleeping when I get back to the room. The bath does fine.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed here recently for one night. The girl at the front desk was friendly and nice. The room itself was fine -- we just needed a clean place to sleep and this fit the bill. We did encounter several issues, though.

* The door to our room just pushed open and we had difficulty keeping it secured. The doorknob would only click into place if you applied a lot of force to the door. We discovered this when our toddler pulled the locked door open and tried to leave at night. Also, the catch to the deadbolt was misaligned, preventing the deadbolt from closing. I repositioned it using my Swiss army knife's screwdriver and was able to get the deadbolt to close, but I shouldn't have had to.

* The room is heated by a gas fireplace attached to a thermostat. The thermostat dial was calibrated wrong, so it wouldn't click on because when the room was 65 it thought it was 90 -- which is the farthest the dial would turn. I ended up pulling off the dial and repositioning it within the correct range, and then the fireplace started up.

* In the middle of the night, however, the fireplace suddenly failed to ignite (the electronic starter did fire and gas did flow, but it just wouldn't light), and so the room ceased being heated (in Winter). My wife and I were borderline ok under the blanket, but our two year old gave indications of being cold during the night, as he hasn't figured out how to sleep under blankets yet. Also, the room lacks any additional bedding.

* There were several dark stains on the bed sheet, although everything else was fairly clean.

In the morning, I let the woman at the front desk know about the door and fireplace. She knew the door had issues and told me they would look at it. She was very friendly but I realized later that she never apologized for the lack of heat and security. Not a huge deal, but an apology would have been nice.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Every year we go to Big Bear, in August, for the Big Bear Classic Car Show. In the past, we've stayed at the Motel 6. This year we decided to make a change ... and we are very glad we did. The Vintage Resort is actually within walking distance from down town Big Bear (with all of their quaint shops) ... a good walk, but doable. The rooms are clean (Emma does a great job), the manager (Carla) and staff are all wonderful, and there's a restaurant (Diamond Lil) next to the hotel that serves unbelievable food! The hotel is not fancy, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking for a nice place to stay, with very reasonable rates, clean rooms, free breakfast, and surrounded with great people and nice places to eat ... then The Vintage Resort is for you. There's no swimming pool, but should you visit in the winter, there's a fireplace in each room. We enjoyed our stay and we have already booked our room for next year's car show!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed for 2 nights- rooms are older along with the furniture- also far from a resort. Staff is super nice but for the money I payed- I cannot recommend

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Nothing fancy, but reasonably comfortable, and friendly. (I did however need an internet connection and that wasn't working.)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My kids and I stayed at this place over the President's Day weekend. It was nice, clean, spacious, user friendly room. The service was great with friendly people! I wouldn't call it a resort but it was in a great location, central to everything. It had a cute fireplace and a continental breakfast that held us over until lunch. The field next to us was a great place for the kids to build a snowman and have a snowball fight. All this at a great price! We will be back!

Room Tip: We could hear people in rooms around us. It would be best to be on the ends. People were pretty co...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family