“BWP. Recent reviews are low, too! I should have known!”
Review of Timberline Lodge

Timberline Lodge
Los Angeles, California
“BWP. Recent reviews are low, too! I should have known!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Blair Witch Project in a mini-cabin. That's what it reminded me of. Some poor person's hair was in our bed, tons of it, neatly folded into all three covers. There was a bug smashed on the wall by the bathroom light. Dust had caked on the lampshades and window shades. The TV was more static than television. Our dog was fascinated with finding crap under the bed... The heater worked like a snare drum right beside the bed. Would rather sleep in my -30 degree sleeping bag and tent. We drove up late on a Thursday, service stops at 6pm so my husband and I were out of luck.

One positive note, the sales guy was very friendly.

Room Tip: a tent and sleeping bag would be a better room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked a two night stay last Thursday 12/26/13. Our son fractured his shoulder snowboarding on the fist day at the Snow Summit resort and we needed to take him back to the closest city to see a specialist. The Big Bear Valley hospital ER did not have an Orthopedic doctor on site, in any case, we told the person in charge of Timberline lodges (Fendi) that we needed to cancel the one night ($215 + tax). The person/owner (Fendi) refused to help us. He said he would not refund us and he even dared to offer us a "discount" for a future visit. This is not the way treat people. We are still demanding and pursuing a refund!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claudia C
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I really liked the nice persons at the front desk. Very cosy and if you like to know new places this is the hotel you need to stay. The rooms are featured with a unique way of decoration. I can not wait to visit again.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Iosognatori
Orange County, California
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had reserved a one-night, Saturday-stay, right before the Thanksgiving week. I went up with my two young children and booked cabin #11 at Timberline Lodge. It was a great rate on Expedia ($87 plus tax), and I felt lucky to find a place that allowed a one-night stay, as Big Bear often requires a minimum of a two-night stay. I will not go back to this location, no matter how good the deal is.

Cabin #11 is old, dirty, falling apart, and the two major things you need in Big Bear in the winter, a heater and a fireplace, were substandard. When we arrived, it was 39 degrees outside and 54 degrees inside. The heater was an old wall unit that did not blow hot air, it whispered hot air. Because this was a two bedroom, one bath unit, I was concerned it wouldn't be warm enough to stay in without an 8-hour warm up. The manager brought me electric space heaters which freaked me out because of how old they were and the thought of fire, but it was better than freezing to death. The beds had old, thin bedspreads, with one thin blanket on each one, so I had to call again to get two more blankets. The VCR (yes, VCR) didn't work for my kids who had borrowed movies from the front desk, so I had to call again. The manager couldn't figure it out, so the maintenance man had to come. The kitchen cabinets were cracked, and one drawer under the sink was missing the face plate. The rug/mat in the middle of the room was frayed/curling, and the couch was so hard, it was like sitting on a bench. When I lit the fireplace, smoke poured out the vents. The maintenance man and the manager had to come again, and told me I had to keep the fireplace door open all night because the vents were broken. When I inquired if cold air would pour in during the night when the fire burned out, the maintenance man said he didn't speak much English and just stared at me. When it looked like I was going to burst into tears in front of my kids and just throw in the towel, eat the money, and leave, the manager offered to move me.

The only thing that gave this lodge 2 stars instead of 1, was that the manager moved us to another cabin. #16 was quaint and not as worn down. It was still cold, but there was a wall unit in the living room and there was also one in one of the bedrooms. I still had to use an electric heater in the other bedroom, so that worried me.

One odd thing about this place is that you have to pay for firewood and/Duraflames. And, if you have the fireplace on, it automatically shuts off the heat in the unit. So you have to choose.

The topper was that there was a small unit above me, and the occupants came in at 10:00pm, and allowed their small child to run and jump around so much, it woke my family up. I went up there at 11:30pm to talk to them, and they apologized, but did not quiet down until 12:00, and then I could still hear their TV and the child, when he/she woke up at 3:00am and then again at 6:00am. At this point, I gathered up my kids and we left. The office wasn't open yet, so I couldn't even speak to the manager before I left.

So all in all, Cabin #11 was uninhabitable and Cabin #16 was tolerable, but you have to pray no one loud occupies the unit upstairs. If you feel lucky, and think you'll get one of the other units that could quite possibly be better, take your chances. My recommendation is to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in Cabin #11. Cabin #16 is tolerable as long as no one occupies the unit above it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CAcouple
thetimberlinelodge, Manager at Timberline Lodge, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
As the manager of Timberline Lodge I would like to clear the air about a few things that managers in the hospitality industry are afraid to say or challenge when a guest decides to go on a rampage about your business on Yelp or Tripadvisor where guest do read reviews, and should too get a better feel for where they might stay, dine, or enjoy some entertainment, which we endorse fully, but sometimes a valid response to clear the air and explain the fact from fiction is demanded such as in this matter.
Everyone should receive superior service and enjoy their stay, and we make every reasonable effort to meet our guest needs, and going above and beyond is not something out of the ordinary for us.

So, let me start clearing the air here: The fact, yes she did book on Expedia, the fiction, she paid $66.85, the price is not the issue here, just making a point I think you know where I am going with this subject! As for her comments regarding old and rustic, we are a "Lodge in the Mountains" surrounded with pine trees, hiking trails and Big Bear Lake, I am not sure why someone would come to the mountains encompassed by the San Bernardino National Forest and expect a "mountain lodge" to look like a hotel you would find in the city, which is why most people get away from the city, the smog and the daily traffic jams and come up to the mountains to enjoy nature and some quality family time, and relax a little I would hazard to guess. Yes, we have cabins, not a hotel setting, most cabins on our property are wooden as one might guess when you think of a "cabin", and yes they are rustic, and you are not going to find Ikea furniture in the rooms, takes away from the mountain cabin theme.

From the moment she arrived, one issue after another came up like a tidal wave which means only one thing, we were going to be in for a long night of complaints with her no matter how we tried to accommodate her needs, and we were correct, although always handling the matter(s) with professionalism and courtesy whether made up or manufactured. The first call we received was issues regarding the TV/VHS, that was corrected within minutes for her. 10 - 15 minutes later the next call came in stating the heater was not working, went in the cabin, yes the wall heater was working fine, she calls it a whisper of heat, a full length wall heater will only blow out with a certain amount of hot air, not like a forced air unit which most people know. As for cabinet door issues, in the mountains during winter, the temp. at night ranges from the 30's to low teens and single digit temperatures, everyone leaves the sink cabinet doors open to keep the pipes under the sink at room temp to avoid freezing when a guest is not in the cabin. Back to the heat issue again, so after looking at her heater, we left again, she called again about 10 minutes later again and asked for extra blankets which we delivered to her room again, although she had two sets of extra blankets & pillows in the closet, so we left again back to the office, but she was not done with us yet, then comes the kicker!

After about 15 or 20 minutes of quite we receive another call from her "is it normal to have the fireplace billowing smoke from all sides my room is filled with smoke", I am thing oh god, what now. The answer is no, not normal of coarse I was thinking. We are more than happy to help anyone light a fire in the fireplace, just ask us, but no, she had other ideas. Anyone with an once of common sense knows that you Do Not Stuff A Fireplace With Tons Of Newspaper then light it, of coarse smoke is going to back up. When we came over again for the fourth or fifth time within (1 1/2 hours if that), we had to pull out handful's of newspaper, but the damage was done and yes, the cabin did have smoke in it. Instead of saying anything to her, I felt that for safety reasons the best thing to do would be move her into another cabin which we did. By the way, back to "Fact or Fiction", I had our maintenance person with me, I speak very good english, I do not know what her prejudices are against people, when she asked our maintenance person a question, he Never said I don't speak english well, pure adulterated FICTION.

I know if I had the experience that she claims, I would have been long gone after the 5th phone call if that long. Funny thing though, she seemed very happy when I upgraded her room, As If She Had Planned It From The Beginning, makes me wonder?

Kevin - Manager Timberline Lodge
Riverside, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This was a very cute little place - we rented a few rooms for our friends as well. The rooms were located close to the main hwy that takes you into Big Bear. The cabins were old and smelly from the fire places in them. The Lodge offers bundles of wood for sale for $6.99. The signs in the rooms states that if you use the fireplace, you can not turn on the heater. We wanted the romantic fireplace so we lit it. In the middle of the night...the fire burnt out and it was cold. We tried to turn on the heater but it didn't work .... We finally got it to work when we were about to check out. The bed was large but not too comfortable. They looked run down. But for the price it was well worth it. The owner "Fendi" was very helpful ~ TIP - try to stay way from the hwy as far as possible.

Room Tip: Try to stay way from the hwy as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pomona, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed there one night on vereran's day with my boyfriend. The studio cabin had a fireplace next to the bed, the room was stocked with firewood and starter logs you can purchase so you don't have to go out to get more if you run out. I loved the little porch with 2 chairs to just relax outside. The room had a refrigerator for our beverages and a microwave and coffeepot with cups. It was perfect for the price!!! The owner was very friendly and they have a VHS player in the room and there are about 100 VHS tapes in the lobby you can borrow as well as books. Also picnic tables and BBQ outside if you want to bbq. The lake is right across the street too. I will stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Southern, Calif.
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This facility has older accommodations with few amenities outside of a weak wifi. The beds are only OK and there is no air conditioning if it gets hot. The prices are very high for what you get. They are charging for the location the hotel is at rather than the hotel itself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business