“Terrible management/office service.”

and 1 more site!
Big Bear Cool Cabins
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My grandson and I stayed in "Baby Bear" cabin from Cool Cabins. Unfortunately I lost the key to the cabin. All of our things were inside. I called the office prior to coming in for the spare, they told me I would have to pay for the key I lost...no problem, what, a few bucks. They searched and did not have a spare key and told me I had to have a locksmith go to the cabin and make a key and I would have to pay for it. They called the locksmith and no doubt they work in unison. The locksmith finally came after 4 calls to the office. We waitied outside in the freezing night for about 90 minutes. He wanted $100 cash only. I think because my grandson and I were standing outside for so long with our teeth chattering that he lowered the charge to $75 after some negotiating. Victim of a scam, yes! Never ever again!

Room Tip: Cabin was very cozy and the bedroom bed was comfy. The sofa bed was comfy according to my family...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Nancy O

Reviewed 3 August 2012

This cabin out of all we have experienced staying at was the best. It is a small cabin right on the lake. Very private, quiet and has a great dock. We fished, swam, barbecued, and rested like we didn't know how much we needed this until we were there. It was very clean and wonderful to be in the mountains on the lake like that. It was perfect. Our dog loved it (pet friendly place) and it will be our future go-to Big Bear Lake Cabin again. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Bring food because you won't want to leave to eat out. It's that nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IShareCuzICare
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I just returned from two nights in Big Bear in a cabin called Moonridge Retreat I booked through Big Bear Cool Cabins. I spent much time looking over information before renting with them and I was very satisfied. Having spent many nights in cabins located around Gatlinburg I wanted a similar experience. The cabin was located at the end of a cul de sac and only two other homes were occupied so it was very quient and private. The appliances were newer, hottub was older but was clean sans a few dead bugs floating in the water. No big deal. It had two decks and the lower one was a little worn but there was a very functional gas grille on the upper deck along with a table and four chairs. It was so peaceful having the windows open and hearing the wind in the trees. We split the cost with another couple and it was less than two hundred dollars per couple for two nights. It was a typical cabin experience with a few bugs, a few cobwebs and the placed needed aired out on arrival but when you figure these are occupied maybe 10% of the time what should one expect? Had a great time and will return again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RickN6900
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We were deceived by cool cabins in believing that the lake front property we were going to stay is in Prestine and clean condition. The cabin was advertised to fit 12 people but it had hardly enough space for 6 people. The rooms were dirty and horrible despite us been charged top dollar for it. Stay away from these guys.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Nick R
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Ah, where to begin? First off, the original booking company we used, Red Awning, booked us in the Bear Necessities cabin with Cool Cabins for Memorial Day weekend (we have the email confirmation). When I called Cool Cabins on Friday morning to see if we could check in slightly earlier than 4pm, I was informed that the cabin had already been rented (!). Barbara was helpful, though, and did send through a list of cabins that were available at similar pricepoints for Memorial Day. Priority One was for us to find someplace to stay...so we ended up choosing Little Brown Bear, which happened to be available. Some of the property reviews on the Cool Cabins indicated that the carpeting was dirty, the furniture run down and uncomfortable, and there were holes in the walls. However, those reviews were posted over a year ago, and mgmt had responded to the review assuring upgrades, so we felt confident in our decision.

We arrived at the office to pick up the keys. Service was adequate, if distracted. We received instructions on how to access the cabin & keys, so went to the property.

We arrived at the property (in the fog and rain) and the lockbox code did not work. I called the Cool Cabins office, who said that they would send someone. We waited in the dark in the rain in our car for 30 minutes - no one showed. So we called Cool Cabins again, who said they would send a maintenance guy and that they "didn't know what happened" to the person that they thought they had sent originally. I would like to point out that all this time, they had my cell phone and could have called me with an update. So another twenty minutes later, no sign of the maintenance man. We called Cool Cabins again, who said he was 'on his way', and we started to make our contingency plans (find another hotel to stay the night, etc.). By the way, it is still raining, and is now dark. When the maintenance man showed up, he tried the lockbox and couldn't make it work either. Then when he called the office, someone on the other line gave him a different lockbox code, which thankfully worked. My question is, why didn't Cool Cabins give us the correct lockbox code either 1) when we checked in, or 2) when we called and said that the lockbox wasn't working? Either way, poor service & organization all around. We finally had access to the cabin, and decided to stay the night.

The cabin itself was barely serviceable -- carpet was filthy, including patches of stiff crud on the floor where something had been spilled and not cleaned up. Furniture (1 couch, 2 folding chairs) was caved in in the center so difficult to sit on (let alone sit on with any sort of comfort). Luckily we brought our own zero gravity chairs and ended up using those all weekend. Main bedroom was serviceable, bathroom was OK. Kitchen was listed as 'fully stocked', which translated to a plastic shopping bag of assorted silverware on top of a small microwave, and a handful of plates. At least the refrigerator and dishwasher worked...

I would definitely not stay in this property (Little Brown Bear) again, and will also not be using Cool Cabins to book my next stay in Big Bear. However, we did learn one helpful tip from the owner of our backup Bed & Breakfast - if you encounter any issues with your cabin rental in Big Bear, you should call the Big Bear Code Compliance hotline immediately (909) 866-CODE.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank k23p
Reviewed 14 March 2012

These guys are the epitome of cheap and penny pinching. We stayed at 39342 Aurora Road. This place was run by Cool Cabins and owned by a cheesy, cheap guy. When you're spending thousands of dollars a night for a cabin you should have access to the rooms. These guys lock off the rooms including the master!! Secondly, they charge you for garbage collection. Yeah you heard that right. $5000 a night doesn't get you garbage removal. I'm not talking about cleaning up a messy house. I'm talking about Cool Cabins making you drive your garbage in bags, to the city dump or pay $50 for them to do it. Really? Obviously when staying here you can afford the $50 but it's the principal. Combine that with no access to half the rooms in the house, a dirty spa, rules against using the DVD player, a laundry list of things you have to do before departure, and signs everywhere telling you to rat your neighbors out if they have too many guests, and this place leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth! Suffice it to say we are never coming back to the Aurora house or using Cool Cabins again!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank m k
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We rented the 1classic cabin do presidents day weekend and overall it was an awesome place to stay. Check in was easy just go to the big bear cool cabin office near the center of big bear city to check in and get the directions to the cabin. The cabin we rented was clean, the electric and heaters worked great and there was a big flat screen tv in the living room. There was also a great wood deck with a propane grill out back. It was covered in snow when we stayed but would be a great place to hang out during the spring/summer. I should also mention that cool cabins gives a 10% military discount so if you rent from this company b sure to mention if you are in the military. Our weekend centered around snow boarding and we were less than 5 mins from big bear snow summit which was fantastic considering how tired we were at the end of the day. I highly recommend the 1classic cabin for families with kids as there was plenty of space for my husband, myself and our two young sons ages 3 and 5.

• Stayed: February 2012