“Used to Rave About This Place...”

The Plume Of feathers
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rickford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Now I'm a fair diner. Meaning, I always try and see it from the establishment's POV (I spent a good portion of my career in Hos./Catering. I say if it's good *and* bad, too, so I'm not one of these sad, little twisted people that takes joy in scolding, BUT...

I used to live in the village, and I was constantly looking excuses to go and scoff the food at The Plume, and have bored many people with random rave reviews about the place. However, I went there today with a special guest and was disappointed to find that things just aren't the same, and we will not be going back.

We were in the business of a good roast beef. I rang ahead and was pleased to hear it was locally sourced, along with everything else on their menu. Fair enough. So we get up early enough after a late Saturday night. Put on comfortables, and head out. Asked once again (as I had on the phone, previously) if the beef would be served rare. I was told medium-rare...good enough for me.

Went to order, I said to make sure the chefs knows we don't mind blood. We were assured it would be because it always was.

Cut a long story sideways...

The plate came; tough leeks and potatoes (microwaved?), overcooked cabbage and carrot and two slices of wafer thin grey meat. 2 mouthfuls of the beef was all that was there, and it was all it took for me to have to ask for something else. This plate of food was charged at £8.95!

The reaction at a complaint, and how it is handled, says a lot about the training or quality of the staff, and is key to whether people come back or not. We were simply asked if we wanted something else. No "sorry" at all. OK, that's fine. I just want some food!

Took both back and asked for the Whitebait instead. Jubbly.

...Whitebait was not jubbly. Used to be very good.

Anyway paid for the Whitebait and drinks after a 2 min stop to check with someone out in the back of the bar if we could actually have to pay for the roasts or not. But then when the young man came back, with did finally get our first apology for the cock up.

Crux of it is: Training. You've got young staff there, which can be a great asset, and they weren't bad kids, but it was showing that they perhaps lacked some basic skills in service. You can make your own mind up on the "chef". I'll keep mine, I think I've made my point about the grub.

Anyway, I hope you can use this post to your advantage in some way. This is not to cause offence and I truly hope you can pull things up a notch.

3  Thank thomaszabbott

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Massive thank you to all the staff for making my family feel so welcome and looked after. After taking over all the bed and breakfast rooms they were all more than happy with how tidy and clean the rooms were. Breakfast went down a treat especially after enjoying your local beers the evening before. Friendly staff, great local atmosphere and my family from Kent will definitely being staying again.

2  Thank Nikki R
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently whilst attending a wedding at Coombe Lodge and paid £65 for a double room.

Firstly, the carpets are filthy which gives a really bad impression as you walk in. The bedding isn't ironed and looks a crumpled mess. The bathroom also wasn't clean with lots of hairs in the shower.

The bathrooms have a saniflow system which makes an awful noise when you flush the loo or run the tap, which keeps you awake if next door are using their bathroom.

Finally, we went down to breakfast at 9am and had to ask for orange juice, cups, butter etc. as there was none left. The cooked breakfast was awful, and tasted like it had been deep fried in lard - our bacon was so overcooked it actually shattered when I tried to cut it! There were also flies flying around the breakfast room.

All in all, it was an awful experience! For £65 a night I would expect ironed bedding and a clean bathroom at the least.

2  Thank Willenhall_lass
Reviewed 12 July 2014

After studying the tempting on line menu we decided to visit today. How disappointing. Asked for a menu and was told it was all on the blackboard. Only mains were all day breakfast, goats cheese tart, burger or ploughman's. Compare this to the on line confused. Talked to the landlord and his reply was the website states TYPICAL menu and subject to change. Absolute rubbish. An obvious attempt to attract diners via the website then hope we will put IP with alternative. Off our list of local options and will not be recommending to anyone but the odd cider lout looking for breakfast

3  Thank David B B
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

It was hard to decide between a 3 and 4 rating. This is a place that means well and has good intentions but doesn't quite hit the mark.
The menu is limited and seems unchanging. They also seem to run out of things often which limits choice further. Perhaps if they considered smaller portion sizes (they're huge) this may help elleviate that problem.
Saying that, the staff and service is polite and friendly and they are 100% dog friendly which is great for us dog owners.
It's in a charming little hamlet and worth a try if you're hungry passing by.