“Creative cuisine at it's best”
Review of Kippings - CLOSED

Kippings
Price range: US$28 - US$56
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have now been to this restaurant 3 times within 6 months, and I have to say it only gets better. The dishes are creative and extremely well executed. Good variety on the menu and good ingredients which reflects very well on the taste and presentation. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed food in a restaurant as much as in this place. Good environment too and a friendly and attentive service. I know Hertfordshire well and other than the brocket there isn't another restaurant to match it ( I think the Olivio in the same village is not even in the same league). I loved it, excellent food and would recommend strongly.
G Esteves

5  Thank G E

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I did write a review about a meal we had just over a month ago which was not i felt up to the standrad of the comments made on trip advisor. within a day the owner had personally contacted me and aske to have the chance to show the 4 of us that the dining experience we had had was not what she would have expected.
so we agreed a date for the 4 of us to go back and the owner did say that the meal would be completely free of charge.
this time the meal was exceptional and the service personal and outstanding.
the owner really does take a pride in her bistro and I cannot now fault the food or service or atmoshphere, well done for putting right what was a disappointing meal first time round
the 4 of us all agreed we would certainly go back again ! And true to her promise we did not pay for the food. Excellent starters, main courses and sweets. We just paid for our drinks.
I am converted - now a fan of this bistro.
many thanks for your personal attention
helen

6  Thank Helen966
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Rang up on a Saturday afternoon in the hope they would have a table for Sunday Lunch for 7 and pleasantly surprised when they had. Although we had an early lunch we were the only people in the restaurant which is a real shame given that it serves lovely food and with their "kids eat free" is very good value for a family. We had a variety of meals, from the beef roast, lamb rump, sea bass and pork chop, and all were very tasty. Service was excellent (albeit they weren't rushed off their feet). When we ordered milkshakes for the kids we were told they were out of bananas due to a run on cocktails the night before. One look at my son's quivering lip (he loves his milkshakes) and it was sorted as she sent her daughter out to Tesco to make the purchase. Great service. This is an excellent local restaurant which should be a focal point for the village and I hope we just caught it on a quiet day the week after Easter. We'll be back.

3  Thank AMcD1
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We went to Kippings on Good Friday with friends. It was very quiet, but we were given a very warm welcome. After ordering our meals we were given a complimentary 'taster' (no sure what to call it as it wasn't a canape) but it was totally unexpected and delicious. A lovely touch. The main courses were fabulous. My fish should have been served with pasta (which I didn't want) but i was informed that I could change what I ate with it, again very accomodating owners. I would heartily recommend this restaurant. Excellent food with very reasonable prices.

2  Thank Claire W
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My girlfriend and I came across Kippings by chance and decided to pop in for a glass of wine. We were instantly impressed with the wine list and ended up sharing a bottle. Our red wine was served at the right temperature and not hideously warm as is the case in other establishments that sit their red wine on display under a bright halogen lamp behind the bar. We accompanied our wine with a few dishes from the starter menu followed by a cheese plate and was very impressed with the quality of the food and some very interesting cheeses from France. We decided to go back the following week for dinner and was not disappointed. The food was cooked perfectly, service was on point and the owners Patricia and Barry made us feel very welcome. Kippings is now firmly on our list of wine/dining options.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank cessna519