“Fun and unique place to stay near Bishop”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishop
Keough's Hot Springs
Portland, Oregon
“Fun and unique place to stay near Bishop”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were on a road trip down the 395 and had reserved a "luxury tent" for a night. I don't know if I would call the tent "luxury" but it was definitely adorable and comfortable. There was a very cozy hot burning propane heater inside the tent, books, games, a fridge, and comfortable rustic furnishings--super for a couple. Outside of the tent is a sweet little porch with a fire pit in front and plenty of fire wood provided. There's parking for one vehicle right in front of the tent with a backdrop of mountains. One thing to note is that it ended up getting quite windy and the tent and poles/ropes did quite a bit of loud banging. Because of the wind, we weren't able to build a campfire, but would be a fun thing to do under less windy circumstances.
The bathroom and shower is near the hot springs which is a little bit of a walk, and you use tokens (that are given to you when you check in) for hot water. There's a heater in the toilet room and the hot water in the shower is nice and hot.
The point I'm trying to get across is that it does feel like camping, but they have well working heaters, a comfy bed, and its clean enough. There were no surprises. We got what we expected and were pleased by a few extras.
I love hot springs. The hot springs here are kind of a throwback to the fifties or something. There's a big swimming pool in which I'm pretty certain there is chlorine... I am pretty sensitive to chlorine which is one of the reasons I love hot springs, because they usually don't have chlorine. I love a good soak, but if there's chlorine, I get itchy immediately. The hotter pool seemed like it had less chlorine and was a nice hot temperature, but the "sealant" is peeling and its pretty funky. If you can just put it out of your mind and enjoy an old school soak, you'll have a nice time. All in all, if you're expecting a fancy hot springs spa style experience, you will be disappointed. However, if you want a kind of back in time mountain concrete swimming pool and hot tub thrown in with your road trip stop, it will be a great treat.
I will most likely go again, and look forward to it. The accommodations and hot springs facilities could use some updating, but the affordable price, lovely surroundings, and pleasant extras make it a fun place to go. I do a lot of backpacking, and this will definitely be a regular stop heading into or out of from the mountains.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank elinoree

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hesperia, California
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and i spent a week at Keough's Hot springs, it was a wonderful vacation very clean and the Host was very hospitable and attentive. We spent lots of time in the pool and we were able to relax and enjoy everyday we were there. Went site seeing the colors in October are so beautiful you just can't get enough of the beauty. I took lots of pictures and I never get tired of looking at them. We plan to go again this month and get some more R and R, the prices are all well worth it.

Christina and Mark

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Cod
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Campground was somewhat full due to National Park closure - but still, I don't like pulling into space with my converted camper van (aka mini RV) and having my headlights blast into the camper tent practically on top of our space.

Frankly, I felt like I was in the California version of the old, tired buildings in the Catskills that they showed us in the movie "Dirty Dancing". Talk about tired...this place seems like it was used for a horror movie. Needs a lot of work - a lot of TLC. Especially the hot springs pool -old and tired - with hair balls floating in the pool. Yuck. Didn't take my shoes off in the shower. You get the picture.

Room Tip: Campground with some tent cabins. I'd stay somewhere else if I didn't have a camper.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank GoldenViewer
Lier, Belgium
Reviewed 31 August 2013

An excellent place to soak all the sweet and dust off, after camping in the parks! Loved the hot springs and pools. They could maybe use a bit of painthereand there butit was still very enjoyable. Staff was also very friendly!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Right away we just loved this place. We had reserved a tent cabin in June for one night. When we registered they gave us an old fashioned metal lunch box filled with...smores makins!! When we saw our tent cabin, we just couldn't believe how cute is was. We changed into our bathing suits and had a great time in the pool. It felt like when you were a kid going to the local plunge. Keough Hot Springs has such a quaint nostalgia about the whole place. The staff are all super friendly and the locals we met who frequent the Hot Springs were friendly too. It was rather windy that night when we went to bed (no smores :-( ). It is a tent cabin and being it was windy the canvass flaps and tied downs were blowin in the wind. Don't let that stop you from staying there though, just giving you fair warning...The bed was comfortable and the whole thing was so cozy. In the morning we enjoyed cereal at the picknic bench outside our tent, listening to the quail and enjoying the view of the mountains across the way. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to spending more time there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jan S
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed here last summer with my wife and 4 year old son for 1 night at the end of a week in the high Sierra. We stayed in the larger of 2 tent cabins, in a quiet part of the resort fairly far from the rest of the campground. It was nicely decorated, with a fridge inside and a small deck and fire pit in front. They give you a s'mores kit when you check in, which is a nice touch. Unfortunately, the beds left much to be desired; the sofa sleeper was horrifically uncomfortable, and the queen bed was mediocre. None of us slept well. With a small investment in better mattresses this could be a very nice place.

The hot springs themselves are nice and well maintained - there's a large pool and a hot tub (note that there are also some natural hot tubs nearby on public land, but these are often busy). Keough's is also very close to Apple Hill Ranch, which is an absolutely amazing organic farm with some of the best apples I've ever had.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Tehachapidude
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Keough's Hot Springs is a lovely resort in the middle of nowhere just outside Bishop. The surrounding landscape is stunning, and it really felt great to be out of town. We went for a swim in the wonderful hot springs pool, which was a highlight of our trip- the pool closed at 9pm, so it was great to see the stars come out, and the mountains whilst swimming in the water.

Our trailer was very basic, but this didn’t really matter, and we had a lovely night sitting on the porch watching the starts. The problem came when although we booked for four people there was only one double-bed and one single bed. There were two pull-out sofa beds in the front room, but the mattresses on both were way too thin, with the springs easily able to feel, and unfortunately I had an awful night’s sleep which badly affected my back the next day.

Breakfast wasn’t offered, so we drove to Lone Pine the next morning. It’s a real shame there weren’t enough beds, or better sofa beds in our trailer, as that is the only thing stopping me giving a higher score.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple