“Tent Camping at it's Best~”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishop
Keough's Hot Springs
Walnut Creek, California
“Tent Camping at it's Best~”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We drive by Keough every time we are on 395, without ever venturing in. What kept us from doing so? I don't know, but we will not make that mistake again. We stayed in the tent cabins, which are very comfortable. Besides the fact they give you all the firewood you need for campfires and smores, the tent cabins have a fridge, fan, desk for writing, etc. The front patio is inviting. Water just a spigot away. A lot of history with these springs; the old west coming back to life. The hot spring pools are so much fun. I sat in the hot (104) pool with my book, and had the most relaxing time! Did not try the snack bar, but what I saw looked fine. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: RV's are NOT allowed to use their generators, which makes every tent cabin just fine!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank juliethegardener

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This is a great place! We stayed in one of the tent/cabins. This price came with free showers and daily admission into the hotspring pool. The water kept my skin very soft like i was applying lotion eventhough i wasnt. This place is very close to mono lake, yosemite, and mammoth. The staff were all great. Only wish was the pool stayed open longer.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We are on night 4 out of 5 at this campground and have enjoyed our stay for the most part. Staff is pretty good although we had to ask someone from snack bar to get us an employee to check us in. We got to move to a better spot and they allowed us to borrow a converter so we could plug in a normal electrical outlet into the RV socket. Sites on grass is nice. Be prepared to pay for everything here as entry to hot springs ($10 for adults, $8 for kids) does not come with camping fee. Neither does free hot showers ($2 for a 5 min hot shower which will shut off abruptly). Place is quiet at night and loved the sound of natural spring behind our tent. Night camp host is very nice and very informative. Located about 8 miles from Bishop. Would recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mittyskitty
Munich, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The local tourist information recommended us this place after finding out that we quite like quirky and unique places to stay overnight. The luxury tent was perfect for our needs. The tent came with a heater and a fridge. The bed was very comfortable. Outside was a place to have a proper camp fire which was stocked already with wood and there was even a bbq. We stayed two nights and had a really good time. This place is great for a long weekend.

The staff were really helpful and made us feel very welcome.

The hot springs were built in the 1920's and have been well looked after. I visited it 3 times during our stay and would definitely recommend go for an early morning swim.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan W
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were on a road trip down the 395 and had reserved a "luxury tent" for a night. I don't know if I would call the tent "luxury" but it was definitely adorable and comfortable. There was a very cozy hot burning propane heater inside the tent, books, games, a fridge, and comfortable rustic furnishings--super for a couple. Outside of the tent is a sweet little porch with a fire pit in front and plenty of fire wood provided. There's parking for one vehicle right in front of the tent with a backdrop of mountains. One thing to note is that it ended up getting quite windy and the tent and poles/ropes did quite a bit of loud banging. Because of the wind, we weren't able to build a campfire, but would be a fun thing to do under less windy circumstances.
The bathroom and shower is near the hot springs which is a little bit of a walk, and you use tokens (that are given to you when you check in) for hot water. There's a heater in the toilet room and the hot water in the shower is nice and hot.
The point I'm trying to get across is that it does feel like camping, but they have well working heaters, a comfy bed, and its clean enough. There were no surprises. We got what we expected and were pleased by a few extras.
I love hot springs. The hot springs here are kind of a throwback to the fifties or something. There's a big swimming pool in which I'm pretty certain there is chlorine... I am pretty sensitive to chlorine which is one of the reasons I love hot springs, because they usually don't have chlorine. I love a good soak, but if there's chlorine, I get itchy immediately. The hotter pool seemed like it had less chlorine and was a nice hot temperature, but the "sealant" is peeling and its pretty funky. If you can just put it out of your mind and enjoy an old school soak, you'll have a nice time. All in all, if you're expecting a fancy hot springs spa style experience, you will be disappointed. However, if you want a kind of back in time mountain concrete swimming pool and hot tub thrown in with your road trip stop, it will be a great treat.
I will most likely go again, and look forward to it. The accommodations and hot springs facilities could use some updating, but the affordable price, lovely surroundings, and pleasant extras make it a fun place to go. I do a lot of backpacking, and this will definitely be a regular stop heading into or out of from the mountains.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank elinoree
Hesperia, California
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and i spent a week at Keough's Hot springs, it was a wonderful vacation very clean and the Host was very hospitable and attentive. We spent lots of time in the pool and we were able to relax and enjoy everyday we were there. Went site seeing the colors in October are so beautiful you just can't get enough of the beauty. I took lots of pictures and I never get tired of looking at them. We plan to go again this month and get some more R and R, the prices are all well worth it.

Christina and Mark

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Cod
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Campground was somewhat full due to National Park closure - but still, I don't like pulling into space with my converted camper van (aka mini RV) and having my headlights blast into the camper tent practically on top of our space.

Frankly, I felt like I was in the California version of the old, tired buildings in the Catskills that they showed us in the movie "Dirty Dancing". Talk about tired...this place seems like it was used for a horror movie. Needs a lot of work - a lot of TLC. Especially the hot springs pool -old and tired - with hair balls floating in the pool. Yuck. Didn't take my shoes off in the shower. You get the picture.

Room Tip: Campground with some tent cabins. I'd stay somewhere else if I didn't have a camper.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family