“Excellent service, good food”
Review of The Petite Pantry

The Petite Pantry
Ranked #21 of 61 Restaurants in Bishop
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We went to the restaurant for dinner while staying in Bishop enroute to Yosemite National Park. The restaurant has a homely feel, with family pictures and newspaper articles relating to the local football team the owners son plays for. We felt immmediately comfortable as soon as we were greeted at the door.
The owners were very accommodating for my wife's request to change a meal to vegetarian and went out of their way to ensure our son had a high chair and enough to eat. Very friendly couple who were interested in talking to us while we were waiting for dinner - which did not take long to come to the table.
The food was fresh and delicious, with enough for us to take back to our hotel for breakfast.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere, but fair food. The salsa was good, but they were out of guacamole. This was a cute local place, but I wouldn't return. Village inn cafe was around the corner, but apparently they're closed Mondays and Tuesdays to golf so beware if you walk two miles from town to breakfast there.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

First, an oxymoron: This is a Mexican restaurant called The Petite Pantry. The name, legend holds, is a vestige of its previous ownership: a little old lady served lunch for a few hours each day, to her friends, and called it a restaurant. Just saying, IRS....

Anyhoo, husband and I stopped in here around 3pm, after finding the Burger Barn (West Line Street) closed on Tuesdays. We had spent seven hours up in the Bristlecones, doing the loop up to Patriarch Grove, and husband was hungry as a bear.

There's a lot I could say about this modest little place, but since we're leaving tomorrow at 5am to hike Honeymoon Lake, here's the skivvie:

1. Best Mexican food in Bishop, hands down, and probably best Mexican food in the Eastern Sierras. Husband is from LA, he knows his Mex; this is it. Your table, regardless of what you order, holds flour AND corn tortillas and A- salsa. Husband got enchiladas; he wolfed them down.
2. Owners are the American success story. Foreign tourists take note: If you want solid, $ food and some gringo culture thrown in gratis, this is the place. The Jiménez family has raised their kids in Bishop and their photos (#48 on the Bishop football team!; daughter on the volleyball team!) attest to this. The youngest daughter helps out with orders after school under Mr. Jiménez's watchful eye ("No, mihija, if you cannot serve it right, let me do it myself.") Mrs. Jiménez makes all her own pies (like, eight of them), when she's not ferrying her kids from high school to home. Apricot pie is made with apricots from their back yard.
3. Mr. and Mrs. Jiménez would give you the shirt off their back. In the 45 minutes I spent in this place, the following happened:
a. Mr. Jiménez gave me a free bowl of lentil soup (Mrs Jiménez later told me that he didn't want my husband to be eating his salad appetizer "alone");
b. They gave us and the five-top of French tourists peaches from their garden for dessert;
c. a local came in: Mr. Jiménez gave him everything short of a bear hug; waited on him hand and foot; and said, "Mihijo, how are you doing? Give me a call if you need anything at all; here's my card." My husband and I figured out that this gent was undergoing chemo. Mr. Jiménez did this because he cared about the guy: he does not need this TA review or our tip, or anything else. He did it because he is embodies what we gringos are all about.
And his food is very, very good.

Particulars: Open 7 days a week, 7am until 10 or 11 or whenever people clear out.
Debit and credit cards accepted.
Prices: Unbelievably cheap. Husband had a fabulous enchilada platter with salad and god knows what else for $9.
Beer and wine served.

1  Thank Kenneth A
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stopped into the Petite Pantry and found a lively and fun place with lots of family decor and very good food. "Papa" was charming and full of fun chatter while handling the rapid service of the large menu.

Home cooking and generous portions, Locals and repeat customers are given extra attention.

Breakfast all day, Too.

Try it for some fun and lively chatter as well as the home cooking.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Okay so it might not of been the best food experience ever...but... We were passing through from Mammoth from Perth, Western Australia, we decided to call in and get a takeout breakfast. 3 hours later we walked out and said to each other that "that was one of the highlights of our American Adventure!!! We were so welcomed, lots of stories by the owner, we felt like we were in the Owners home. Food was good, not great, but if you are a tourist, it was fantastic.

1  Thank kevin27