“Great little find!”

The Village Cafe
Ranked #27 of 61 Restaurants in Bishop
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stopped in traveling through to Texas. My granddaughter had the homemade meatball sandwich (huge), my husband had the highway melt and I had the ham sandwich (also huge).
All were very good! We had our chocolate lab with us and they invited us to bring her to sit with us on the deck. The service was awesome...very friendly.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

On our way home to Placerville - TA'ed a breakfast place and read the reviews. I had the corn beef hash and eggs over medium, fruit and sour dough toast - loved it! Hubby had chili cheese frittata, home fries with rye toast. His was really good as well although dud not care for the rye toast do had some of my sour dough - all better! Homey place - locals eating regularly. Highly recommend it!

1  Thank RosebudMiller
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We were visiting Bishop for the awsome Mule Days celebration and decided to try The Village Cafe for lunch after reading the great reviews on TA. First off, we passed it several times before seeing it hidden around a corner just off Hwy 395. It was 2PM and all the restaurants in town were packed with weekend Mule Day visitors so we were suprised when we arrived and found an almost empty restaurant. As we entered, we were informed by a young man at the door that they close at 2PM. I was quite amazed considering how many people Mule Days brings to Bishop and how much business others were doing. We decided to try again the next day after watching the mule parade. We arrived at about noon and were seated right away. The lunch menu was standard "cafe sandwiches". I ordered pastrami and my GF decided to try a club sandwich. The cafe was very busy the entire time we were there and it took a while to be served but that was to be expected. When the food arrived the pastrami was so tough I couldn't bite through it and the club sandwich consisted of meat and tomato on dry bread with no type of dressing. We were very disappointed but this was lunch and the good reviews were all about the great breakfasts. The young staff was nice and the cafe is quaint so we will probable give them another try ( this time for breakfast) on our next trip up Hwy 395.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The Village Cafe is a find in every sense. We needed a hand made map from our hotel clerk to locate it as it is a bit challenging to find. The service was excellent and the food--we had breakfast--delicious. If you like to eat away from chain restaurants, and have a sense of being in a place, this restaurant delivers. It is unpretentious in the best way. I rated the atmosphere as "excellent" as it is classic small town. The portions are very large, so arrive hungry.

2  Thank S L
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I wanted to try someplace "new" coming home from Mammoth so, after checking out TA, this place popped-up......What a great spot !!! You won't see it unless you're looking for it which explains why its mostly locals enjoying being there. The portions are huge, the service is super-friendly and the breakfast items are soooo tasty. I had two-eggs, sausage patty (1/3 of the plate), hashrowns (piled high) with biscuit & gravy.......After being scolded by my wife over what I ordered.....I proceeded to "attempt" to eat it all....No way......Too much food !!! My wife had the 1/2 frittata with a side of fruit which she loved but was way too healthy for me !!! I am so glad to have "discovered" this place !!!

1  Thank WallyGator92260