“FRIENDLY & INVITING”
Review of Chumayo Spa

Chumayo Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Blue Lake
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My husband & I went for an overnight retreat to Chumayo spa. We had a couples massage (him a full body and me a facial, head and neck), followed by 1/2 hour in the private sauna, followed by a float in the flotation pool. I have never been so relaxed and centered. Their accomodations were so cozy and clean and neat with a private hot tub off our private balcony. The whole deal was more than reasonable economically, and I will definitely be back to center myself soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2009

My daughter was enrolling in Dell'Arte, the small college in Blue Lake for Physical Theater. I needed a place to stay, so found Chumayo Spa on the internet. What a find ! This is not anything like a hotel chain or a huge hotel. So very much nicer in my opionion. The room above the Spa is just a cosy, homey little spot . It is equipped with a small Kitchen with all the equipment needed to make a meal. It is, indeed a special spot created with comfort in mind. Julie is the ulimate innkeeper, even if it is only for one room above the Spa!! We were welcomed as if we were one of her family! The separate entrance to the room above the Spa rooms makes coming and going very private. The room is simple, but very welcoming. It has lots of very soft towels in the shower, extra blankets,------ actually has everything one could possibly need to feel comfortable. The bed was the best!! I never sleep well when traveling, but here, I slept like a baby! There is a charming entrance with vines and flowers and a very nice patio with table and chairs to read or just relax. A sweet cat kept me company one morning as I planned my days' exploration of the area.
My daughter and I also experienced the floatation pool which is part of the Spa. Such a relaxing experience. I recommend this experience of weightlessness..
And I highly recommend this Chumayo Spa!!!! It was like being at home. Blue Lake is a charming place from which to experience northern California's beautiful natural resourses. I highly recommend the Chumayo Spa!! And the price is very affordable.

1  Thank LizzyTraveler
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My husband and I and our 11 month old daughter stayed at this great little spot for two nights. We were only lodgers, and did not have spa treatment but would love to try that out another trip - we spent two comfortable, relaxing days/nights spending time together, watching dvds/vhs, going for walks along the levy beside the Mad River, traveling to near-by Eureka and Arcata - and just having fun. The private hot tub was great - Awesome stargazing on a clear night! Julie was very friendly and helpful, with lots of great hiking suggestions. The bed was comfortable, and the kitchenette just perfect for making our meals. The price was very affordable at $85 including tax. This is not your standard hotel, with room service, etc (and there is also no bath - just a shower). But if you just want a great, affordable place to relax, and don't mind making your own bed, this is the spot for you!

Reviewed 14 November 2006

What a wonderful find! We found Chumayo Spa through research on the Internet. My husband and I decided to go for a little R&R. The owner of the spa, Julie, was terrific. She was very helpful and very gracious. Above the spa is a loft that they rent out. We did a package deal and decided to stay a night and do spa treatments. The room was nice. It had all the basic amenities, tv/vcr/dvd, video library. We also had use of a secluded hot tub. For our spa treatments we did floatation (which I was hesitant about at first, but ended up absolutely loving it), suana, and a couples massages. All treatments were very nice. Overall our experience was very relaxing, I have nothing negative to say about the spa and would recommend to others.

3  Thank Elizabeth_Whitt
Reviewed 17 September 2006

The Chumayo Spa in Blue Lake California is one of those hidden travel treasures that you feel compelled to share. Blue Lake is minutes away from Eureka and Arcata and a good rest stop on your way through the magnificent Humboldt Forest. Blue Lake has a very evident commune/community feel to it but, ironically, it's also home to Blue Lake Casino (skip the casino and walk around and enjoy the architecture in Blue Lake). My husband and I found Chumayo Spa through some Redwoods tourism site. The spa owners rent out the upper loft over the spa. It is a completely contained apartment and you have it all to yourself. Thoughtful touches included a welcome note, stocked kitchen with breakfast staples, bottled water, tons of fluffy towels and a selection of DVDs. We booked spa services as well and walked downstairs and indulged in phenomenal hot stone massages. Afterwards, we hung out in the hot tub and enjoyed the tranquility of this amazing place. The spa's apartment rental is not like staying in a hotel (no front desk, no room service, no elevator) but, even better, it is like being left the key to a friend's vacation house for the weekend. Highly recommended.

4  Thank sarahej