“Fantastic Stay”

Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We just completed a two night stay at this property. The service was impeccable, our room was fantastic, very nice spa treatment, the setting was lovely and the food was great. Johannes (sp?), the owner, worked extremely hard to make our stay a wonderful one. The location is secluded, but very close to lots of great wineries, restaurants and other attractions. We would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris F

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I bought a 2-night groupon that included dinner, welcoming chocolates and a wine tasting with appetizers (No chocolates, disguisting day old wines without an appetizer, and a applebee's style dinner). Barely a bar of phone reception and they charge $10 a day for internet.

Grounds were nice, room smelled of smoke and mold and a very hard bed as noted in other posts. My largest complaint is the lack of value with ridiculous prices, gouges and fees. The horrible three course dinner (49.95 a person) included a hefty 20% service charge and a 10% tax rate, $15 a day per person resort fee, and room taxes. My two day stay cost another $130.

Numerous purchasors asked about taxes and the food taxes were never divulged. There are better places in Bodega bay itself, Pt Reyes, or Sebastapol. Stay Away!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank HappyCamper916
oakcreekmanor, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Happy Camper 916

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us, We are sorry that we did not meet your exceptions during your visit. I wish you would brought this the management attention during your stay. We do offer a wide selection of wines for the wine tasting and some times we do offer older vintages and most of our wines are from the Sonoma and Napa area. We are sorry that no appetizers were served for the wine tasting. Our three course dinner menu changes daily and only the freshest local produce are used. The menu included, Maple leaf Duck Breast with Orange Sauce, Fresh Halibut with Lemon grass, Wild Salmon with Ginger, New York Steak with Rosemary, Garlic Shrimp, Sonoma Rack of Lamb with Mint Sauce, Surf & Turf, Petite Filet Mignon and Halibut, The price for the three course menu is $ 47.50. ++
The chocolates were served with your dinner, The Groupon deal was the 11% taxes and $ 15.00 resort fee are not included,
Remember: Groupon customer tip on the full amount of the per-discounted service (tip generously)

Camper 916,
Thank you again for your valued comments

Reviewed 4 March 2012

A group of us arrived at the Villa on Sunday February 26. We were all utilizing a Groupon that we had purchased earlier in the year. The setting is quite peaceful and just what we all needed to begin our yearly trip up the Mendocino coast. We took advantage of the wine tasting and dinner on our second night and during that time we all enjoyed talking with, and getting to know, Johannes.

SInce we were a fairly large group we let Johannes know ahead of time that we would all be taking part in the wine tasting and dinner on the same night and set up a pre-arranged time to do so. Johannes was generous with the pours during the tasting and the dinner we were served afterwards was delicious.

All in all we had a great experience and we do plan on returning to the Villa again next year and my husband and I are taking about going up for a couple of days before summer begins.

1  Thank hazelnut52
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Had 2 nights with a Groupon. Room was nice, Lupita was very friendly, Johannes was reserved but efficient, his wife did no more than walk through once. I feel sorry for Johannes having to do all the work - quite late into the night at that serving dinners in the room. Dinners were okay but not really worth $49.50 pp. Also corkage fee of $15 when you have your own wine and he doesn't even open yours seems absurd. The desserts were good and breakfast was fine with a wide variety, but agree with another guest that a different kind of quiche at least would be a good idea. The putting green needs repair, there is no information about where you are allowed to go. We usually stay in very nice places (nicer than this one) but decided to try the $755 value - it was not worth it. And the 'chocolate box upon arrival that was a $40 value was a joke - 2 chocolate truffles in a small box with Christmas decoration on the front - looked used! If his wife calls people Lovely coupon people who does she think made the offer for the coupon in the first place? the guest or the owners?? Skip this hotel and go to Yountville where they have amazing restaurants and nicer hotels.

4  Thank vbev
oakcreekmanor, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time and your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the Villa room, with our wood burning fireplace, double jetted tub and radiant floor heating. I sorry that you were not 100 satisfied with the dinner, You did not bring this the management attention during your stay. The resort is on 60 acres and guest have access to the pool. Putting green, indoor jacuzzi during the posted our, the spa is by appointment only. The tower library very popular with our guests. We escort all our guests to the rooms explain the amenities. Then taxes are based on 11% from the $ 390.00 value which is $ 42.90 and there is a $ 15.00 per day resort fee which is outlined in your voucher. We do charge a corkage fee of $ 15.00 in our dining room like any other restaurant. The chocolates are made in house and presented in a custom designed gift box.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa this past weekend and it was so wonderful! The location, so close to the coast and very fresh sea food! The staff and owners are so very nice, and the food in the dining room... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!

Room Tip: The Deluxe suites are just right!
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had a very nice room (radiant tile floor heat was great) and a nice fireplace. Bed was pretty hard and both of us woke up with a sore back. It has very peaceful grounds (took a long hike up the hill and around the property), nice pool and spa. Other comments about owner are very true - not a bad person just doesn't relate to guests very well. We got a thanks and that was it! Seemed more put out by having to do everything than happy we were there. Breakfast was OK - coffee was luke warm at best and had no black tea. Felt like we got an OK deal with a Bloomspot offer we used but would not have been very happy if we had paid full price.

Room Tip: get a room facing the hills to the southeast - rooms on the other side are pretty dark.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I received a travelzoo deal on the Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa, and was eager to use it immediately. The website looked charming, and it seemed like a great stay for my boyfriend and myself. I would have to stay that I was a bit disappointed with my stay, but do not get me wrong-the area was absolutely beautiful.

PROS:
Located a few miles from the beach
Wood burning fire place for a romantic night in
Quiet enviornment where you can relax and enjoy your stay

CONS:
Breakfast buffet--basically an upscale motel 6 buffet. I was very dissipointed by the buffet.

Smell-The inside office that we had to walk through daily smelled like an old lady; however, our bedrooms were fine. Just coming into the hotel to get to our room I would plug my nose.
Bed-was pretty hard

The water was turned off in the middle of the night. I was unable to use it to take a shower, brush my teeth or even flush the toilet #ewww. The owner proceeded to tell me, "things happen." Did not want to give me back any of my money on my $250 a night room. The only thing he reimbursed me for was my resort fee. Really?

Would I stay there again-no. However, for the right deal, it is a pretty stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristin H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega
4 mi away
#1 of 1 in Tomales
Occidental Hotel
Occidental Hotel
#1 of 1 in Occidental

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!