“Quiet Getaway - Off the Beaten Path” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa

Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Quiet Getaway - Off the Beaten Path”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa. The grounds and property are very picturesque. The restaurant is a nice option for an evening where you have little time, but a little pricey on the wine, and the breakfasts are a tasty and relaxing way to start a leisurely day. We were there to visit the wine country and it was about an hour's drive to the towns we wanted to visit. If were to do it over again - I would find a place closer to Napa or Sonoma. However, we did enjoy the drive up the Sonoma Coast and through the Russian River Valley. We wouldn't have taken that scenic drive if we hadn't stayed at Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the back of the property. It was so quiet, I was really able to relax and catch...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
WE are glad that you had a quiet and relaxing time

Thank you for your comments!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
slc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

When we arrived, the greeting we received from the innkeeper was anything but cordial. Apparently, he doesn't like it when people arrive an hour early, but there was NO ONE else there. We bought a two night package for $330, plus $30 resort fee, taxes, service charge, water charge, etc. The room he put us in was awful. The sink was cracked, there was dirt behind the toilet, the toilet paper holder had been moved and the plaster never repainted. The toilet ran on and off all night, and when I went to take a shower the next day the shower lever fell out of the wall (see pictures). In addition, we didn't realize the room had radiant floor heating, so when we turned the thermostat down before going to bed, we couldn't get the heat back up in the morning. When informed of all this, the innkeeper was still rude. He said we must not be international travelers - does that mean that in other parts of the world this is acceptable? We were in France two months ago and didn't encounter anything like this - including his awful attitude.He told us we could leave or he could give us a different room - he didn't care one way or another. Since we were out in the middle of nowhere and didn't know where else to go, we opted for another room. It was much better, but still dated. At least it had heat that could be regulated. We ate in the dining room that night and we were the only people there - kind of creepy. We had to order our food in advance and were not asked how we wanted it cooked. It was overdone and oversauced. What a disappointment!

Room Tip: If you still want to stay here, ask for a room near the front of the property.
4 Thank Tnspro1
oakcreekmanor, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for comments and we so sorry that you were disappointed with our services, First you come the Hotel at 12:00 noon to check in for 3:00 check in, I informed you I need to check on housekeeping for the status on the room, when I came back in the lobby the antique Santa was broken on the lobby floor and when I asked what happened, you told me to clean it up which I did.
We check you in early to your Villa room, In the evening you come for a key (you locked you out), at 10:00 am you called again and did not know how to operate the TV.
In the morning you were not happy with the room, we changed your rooms, in term to the private dinner , we told you that the dining room was closed and you wanted the dinner anyway served in the dining room, you were the only couple in the dining that evening.
We are disappointed too, for all the damages you caused to the hotel without paying for.

Travellers are raving about these Bodega hotels

Novato, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I pretty much agree with everything that Cygnet wrote, re; Christmas Special. My husband and I stay at many high end hotels and this one was a disappointment. The one overall positive thing for us was the property and it's beauty. The Innkeeper and his wife need to hire more service help. Our waiter was the same one that Cygnet and her mom had. It took 2 hours for our dinner order to come on Christmas day. The food was dry and overdone. The waiter was clueless in regard to what was being served. I have never had boiled celery before as a side dish and I don't believe I ever will again. :( We will not return.

Room Tip: Make sure you read the fine print on the "Specials" We went in @ 450.00 and ended up with...
3 Thank susan c
oakcreekmanor, Front Office Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
The Christmas package was advertised at $ 450.00 plus tax and service charge,
We are sorry that you were not happy with our service, for holidays we did not want to rush our guests with the dinner, we do not understand, when asked when the dinner plate was cleared by the server and asked "how did you enjoyed your meal" your comment we enjoyed very much,
When you husband check out his comments were We only leave less then hour away and looking forward coming back very soon.

Mazatlan, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I just spent 3 nights at the SCV&S and was SO disappointed. I booked the Christmas Special package for $450, which included early check-in, 1 night stay, breakfast, and Christmas dinner for 2. Not a bargain...I could have booked the room and dinners separately and saved $50. One would assume that a "special package" would save money, not make you spend MORE. Turns out breakfast is included for everyone, as is early check-in, so I'm not sure what was "special" about the "special". I added in 2 extra nights and my bill was over $1100. For that kind of money, I expect Wifi to be included, not $10 a day, and I DO NOT expect to be charged $8 for a pair of slippers. I've stayed in a lot of upscale hotels and this one just did not cut it. First of all, I booked a room with 2 queen beds and was brought to a room with 1 queen and 1 twin. I had to remind the owner that I'd reserved 2 queens. The bathroom sink in our room was actually broken...not the faucets, but the sink itself. The cushions on the sofa and chairs were stained and dirty. The light bulbs were all 40W and the room was too dark to read in the evening. The entire 3 days were "spare the air" days, which is obviously not the owner's fault, but maybe he should consider gas fireplaces if woodburning is frequently not possible. Because my mother is 90 years old and has early stage dementia, she can be very difficult, and she had every right to be upset about the service, but I chose to leave the dining room during Christmas dinner, so as not to disturb other guests and asked to have our dinner sent to our room instead...we got it over 2 hours later. By then the swordfish was hard as a rock and the filet mignon was stone dry. Johannes works very hard, as does his wife, and what I actually got to eat was very good...an excellent cheese and fruit plate for 2 for lunch one day, wonderful chocolate mousse dessers, but his waiter, who only works for holidays apparently was terribly lacking and Johannes really needs to hire a bit of help. If you're going to advertise luxory, you'd better have it. I resent having spent $1100 and leaving feeling like I'd been ripped off.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cygnet2
oakcreekmanor, General Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
We are sorry to hear dissatisfaction for Christmas with your 90 old Mother, it must been very difficult for to see your Mother very ill. The Christmas package was a great Value and many guests enjoyed the Christmas Package, We do offer minibar like any other hotel we do charge for services, for example WIFI, $ 9.50 for 24 hours, we made every effort to make you and your mom comfortable, Thank you for your comments and hope to welcome you back very soon.
cool, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband and I bought the Groupon Christmas package (which included dinner) and added on an additional night as well as Christmas Eve dinner. We enjoyed our stay immensely and hope to return soon.

The Innkeeper, Johannes, is a classically trained chef. Both dinners were over the top as far as taste, presentation and proportion. Breakfast is a very traditional European spread and always included a sumptuous hot dish as well. Based on recent posts I find it interesting to note how important it is to so many people that the Innkeeper be more engaged. Our experience found Johannes to be short on words and long on attention to detail. If interaction and conversation is high on your list and a doting staff if important to you, this may not fit the bill.

Our room was a junior suite which we were very pleased with. Along with a fireplace, mini bar and high end coffee maker, my favorite place was the window seat that held two. The room was very spacious and comfortable as well as being impeccably clean. This is by no means a new property and there is some sign of wear. Certainly nothing that was off-putting to us and I enjoyed the high end toiletry items that were provided.

The grounds are beautiful even in the winter season and the location is fantastic with Bodega Bay just a short drive away and Point Reyes a bit further down the road.

Be prepared for no cell service or internet (may be purchased). This was a plus for two people accustomed to spending too much time working while on vacation.

All in all, our Holiday escape was one that we treasured and we hope to repeat it next year.

1 Thank cooltotheworld
oakcreekmanor, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your Christmas Holiday at the Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, we hope to see you next Christmas or sooner.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed for two nights - walls in bathroom were extremely dirty and paint/wall was chipped next to shower and the bed had a slant aka difficultly sleeping. The owner was unwelcoming from our arrival until we departed. Very rude demeanor - why he works the front desk is beyond me, other then it appeared he was a one man operation (handling the front desk/restaurant/maintenance) - perhaps he is too cheap to hire someone or no one wants to work with his bad attitude!?! The only nice thing about our stay was some of the guests we ran into and the peaceful exterior grounds: plants/trees/flowers/grass- well maintained. Note: I agree with the other customer comments - no luxury here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NORCALMary
oakcreekmanor, Front Office Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
We are sorry to hear about our short coming at your last visit. we are upgrading our property and just finished the bathroom renovation.
We hope to welcome you back very soon
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

The place does have stunning grounds but as an overall place to stay you couldn't pay me money to come back here. It is not run as a villa and spa but as a b&b. There was one guy who cooked, receptionist, bellhop and account manager and he doesn't do a good job at any of them. The facility nickel and dimes you for everything that they have there, I was surprised I didn't have a charge for the roll of toilet paper we used. My wife and I had a reservation for two nights that included a meal in the second night but after our first night we packed up and left. Buyer beware on this place

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Lp40dres
oakcreekmanor, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction during your short stay,
When you check out in the morning at 11:30 am the second day, we asked why do leave early, your comment were that your girlfriend has to do some study and needs to finish a presentation.

This reason was given to us.

JZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega
Bodega Bay Lodge
#5 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa? Share your experiences!