“Booked before reading reviews and ... it is nice!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa

Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
San Carlos, California, United States
“Booked before reading reviews and ... it is nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The Villa is a beautiful space, the grounds are well-maintained and it was easy to find. Our check-in was pleasant and we were shown to our room. It was a lovely room, also very clean and well-maintainted.

Many have commented that they found the owner rude. I did not find him rude at all - I found him to be Austrian or maybe German? I lived in Germany and he reminded me of my host family and people I met there. A bit brisk, efficient and all-business. He is indeed running a tight ship and appears to wear many hats at the Villas but he seems quite good at it.

ROOMS: Clean lovely room and beautiful grounds. A very romantic place to stay. Not everything is brand-new, but all of it was charming. Linens on the beds were very nice. We stayed in #16. The fountain in our private courtyard was really nice but a bit loud at night - it woke me up a few times.

SPA: Spa is not really a full-service spa in the traditional sense but it is a nice space and I had a wonderful hot-stone massage. My boyfriend's masseuse was more communicative (I did not get a warning when spritzed in the face with aromatherapy) but both of us thoroughly enjoyed relaxing together and found the staff very friendly and professional.

FOOD: I can't speak to room service or dinner as we ate elsewhere, but breakfast was nice and the dining area was very serene. Lots of fresh fruit and baked items.

CONS: I think the pricing stickers on things in the room (a cd, the wine opener) was a little off-putting and cheapened the feel of the space, especially since staying here is more expensive. For a stay in Sonoma wine-country you would expect a wine opener in your room to be complimentary as other B&B's or Inns offer (or have one at the front desk for guest use). Also, you are not always going to reach someone when you try to call the front desk -- it is a minor inconvenience, but I know some people might find that a bigger deal that I do. I think a nice added touch would have been a box of creamers for coffee complimentary in the mini-fridge. I really appreciated having the Kurig coffee maker in the bathroom area.

PROS: Very romantic spot. Nice jacuzzi tub. Great area to explore. It really feels like a secluded get-away in an Italian countryside villa.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jessica G
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jessica,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We appreciate your honest feedback and the compliments that you’ve provided. We will make sure our staff reads this review to hear about the great job they are doing. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Granville, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

do not stay here. not worth the money and rude hosts. I called several times trying to get help and was hung up on and then was yelled at when I called back. They are not professional at all. very very disappointed in this company.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allyson C
Dear Allyson,
We extend our sincerest apology to you for your less than extraordinary experience. The situation you’ve described is not on par with the excellent service and satisfaction that we strive to provide. We would like to rectify this situation with you. Please take the time to reach out to Johannes at reservations@scvilla.com.

Travellers are raving about these Bodega hotels

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We got married at SC Villa in the spring, and over several experiences staying at, prepping at and just popping into the Villa, I wish I could give it 6 stars. The villa is a beautiful space, different from other Sonoma spas because it is comfortable, rather than stuffy and overpriced. Johannes was GREAT when you got used to his to-the-point style, and nothing is better for a stressed out bride than someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't beat around the bush. He also spent 19 years managing food/bev at the Westin St Francis so knows his stuff, and is very courteous, kind and funny if you take the time to get to know him (which I recommend). While the prices are high they are much more reasonable than about any other venue we found in all of Sonoma and Napa, and we weren't sure if we could afford our dream Sonoma County wedding until we stopped here. Did I mention there is also a beautiful church around the corner, from the movie The Birds? It all couldn't have been more perfect, and the day/weekend didn't disappoint. If my reco isn't enough, we also had ALL of our family and friends stay there, and they loved it too. We just booked a visit for our 1 year anniversary and can't wait to go back and have more time to enjoy the venue, Johannes' amazing dinners, the spa and finally have some time to go wine tasting in the area.

Room Tip: Go with the deluxe villas, worth a bit more to stay in this lux/large room with heated floors!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Sheila,
We are honored that you chose to have your wedding at our Villa. It puts a very large smile on our face to hear that you would give us 6 stars if you could. Johannes works extremely hard to go above and beyond the expectations of all of his guests and we will make sure that he reads this review to hear the wonderful experience your family and friends had. We are indebted to your future recommendations and to your loyalty to return again for your 1 year anniversary. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the first visit to this property and found the Villa to be peaceful and charming. We were traveling with our 2 dogs and there was ample grounds for walk. The wine hour was a special treat with a large selection. A large breakfast selection was laid out in the dining room far superior to the average breakfast.
The rooms were spacious and comforatable.

Room Tip: The Villa is located close to Dillon beach (which is an off leash beach and close to Bodega Bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JONHENRY1
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Jon,
Thanks for the positive feedback. We love hearing about the peaceful visits that our first time guests experience when they stay with us. We will pass along your compliments to the owner. Please stay with us again the next time you’re in the area.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We set out for a weekend getaway to Bodega Bay without any reservations. We drove past this place, looked good, stopped in and met Johannes from Austria. He had room #17 available and I had a look. I reported back to my sweetie that we were "defiantly staying here but that it looked like there wasn't anything to do here," which turned out to be a good thing. The room was the bomb! Huge, cozy, I didn't want to wonder off and find things to do, stay in with sweetie, smoke my first joint bought with my new medical marijuana card, the salmon dinners we ordered were brought to our room, blew us away how amazingly wonderful they tasted along with the pinot noir supplied in the fridge, a huge piece of cheese cake while we watched the flames from our real wood fire insert, jazz music from the CD's left in the room, then the huge private Jacuzzi was full and we jumped in, careful not to pass out. Tranquility and sleep. Breakfast was served at 9am with Mozart music in the background. Bring your check book, but so worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott N
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Scott,
We truly appreciate the positive feedback that you provided. It always great to hear about the relaxing visits our guests have with us. We will make sure to let Johannes see the great review you've written. Please keep us in mind the next time you’re in town.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I don't usually leave reviews, but I wanted to make sure to give positive feedback about the Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights with a groupon and felt it was an amazing value. The included dinner, intimately set up in our room on white linen, was bursting with so much flavor we ordered it again on our 2nd night. Johannes is a talented chef. As many have commented here, he is a busy man who wears many hats on the property. And although this forced him to be fast paced, we felt he accommodated us very well. The room, #15, was very cozy and clean. My girlfriend can be very picky so receiving her apporval speaks volumes. Overall, our expereince was nothing short of spectacular and we look forward to going back in the near future!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joe W
Jonh H, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Joe,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a great review. We work very hard to go above and beyond our guests expectations to make they enjoy their stay when they visit it. We are very pleased to hear that you and your girlfriend will be returning again in the future. We look forward to seeing you again!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

First let me say that for my wife and I this was truly a wonderful week's stay and for us this deserves the EXCELLENT rating. I also must say that having now read many of the other reviews I completely understand many of the things commented on both good and bad. The "Local Hero" reference is appropriate to a point in that we witnessed the owner check us in, show me our room, offer to carry our bags, bring in firewood to our room, set the firewood in the fireplace, prepare breakfast, and bus tables. He mentioned cutting the grass and we know that he prepared dinners. What he did not do however, was ever make us feel welcomed. In many ways we felt as intruders and it seemed at times that he would have been just as happy if we were not there.
I do not think that he is rude as much as he lacks the personal touch characteristics one would expect in an establishment such as this. Again, as someone commented elsewhere, perhaps he should think about hiring someone with more "people" skills to be the face of the property and he continue to do what he does best.
Our room was fantastic! We had Room # 4 and besides the California King bed we had a very large stone fireplace that was kept ready to go each and every day of our stay. Again, we only got to peak into the other rooms but all the rooms seemed spacious and the property itself was well manicured, clean and quite beautiful.
The property was kept very clean and as we hung out in our room a couple of days we were present to see the time and detail the cleaning staff put into our room.
The daily breakfast was quite nice and there were subtle changes each morning to the freshly made hot dish.
There were drawbacks, which to us were not a big deal at all while to others it seems to have been responsible for there not so glowing reviews.
Before reading any reviews the first comments my wife and I had were that we had this ying and yang response to everything. Despite a very nice web site with directions we were unable to locate the property on our GPS unit despite trying several different addresses. We were able to get close but especially arriving at night, this caused a bit of confusion. We came in through Bodega and when we got to CA-1 we did not know which way to go. We guessed correctly but still had difficulty finding the location each night when we returned.
Our couch was covered with a cotton fabric that could easily be removed to be washed. Ours had a small cut in it but this seemed like a practical cleaning solution not a what was he hiding situation.
Our bathroom was large and it would have been nice to have a tub as I understand some of the other units had, but this was not a big deal at all. The shower was large and comfortable but the shower head was quite simple. I would have expected something more. In fact the whole bath room just felt like it needed some updating. Everything was clean, intact and working. The towels were also fine but several were more frayed than one would have expected for this property.
There is no ice in the room and no ice machine as far as we could tell on the property but the first night we asked for ice and the owner brought it too us (very promptly). However his lack of warmness led us not to ask again as it felt like an inconvenience.
As mentioned previously the cleaning staff was quite detailed and thorough but spoke as little English as I did Spanish. Trying to get a trash bag was an effort rather than a simple request but now I know where the laundry was done.
The breakfast for us was wonderful. I don't care how my coffee is served as long as there is coffee. I don't particularly like my coffee to be hot and usually have to put ice in it to get to a temperature that I like. Here I could drink the coffee as soon as I filled my cup.
There was always fresh fruit, yogurts, milk , cereals and as mentioned above a warm quiche or frittata. The pastries were a mixed bag. I had some cheese Danish that was fresh out of the oven warm while the croissants and bagels seemed to be a few days into staleness.
The dining room was beautiful and comfortable yet several of the table clothes had small little holes in them.
The owner as far as we could tell never promoted his cooking or dinner. We had to ask. We did not partake for two reasons. The first is that usually on vacation we like to drive around and never quite know when we will return and usually having dinner where we are staying is not an options. We tend to eat hamburgers, pizza, and Chinese food which is what we did on this trip. The second was that as the owner was not all that warm and fuzzy we did not feel that he deserved any more of our money whether or not the food was delicious as I am sure it was or worth the price as I think it did.
Again, we did not partake of the massage though again, if we did not already know about it one would not have any clue that this was an option and frankly I am not sure if it was an option all the days of our stay or not.
We wanted a week away from work, cold, snow and stress. We found a beautiful location that clearly felt closer to Tuscany than to California. We were able to relax, sleep in, eat a wonderful breakfast each morning and unwind with a wonderful wood burning fire each evening along with a HD television.
The only noise was from the owl we heard each morning and the occasional wheels rolling by from suitcases.
We were able to book our week through an auction site so in addition we felt that we definitely got our money's worth.
I agree that paying $8 for slippers is silly so we did not use them. There were no hidden expenses and the prices for things like the slippers was clearly indicated.
We never did meet or see the owner's wife and we did travel in off season (thought the place seemed packed for the weekend that we were there).
There are little things that can be done to make this even better but I think the common theme of the personal interaction is one that is important.
I had even tried to post during our stay hoping that this might get him to interact with us more. It did not seem to help and thus I withdrew my previous shortly review in order to write this longer one.
This is a great place to get away, relax and either hang out or explore the beautiful area nearby. We would definitely return and based on the reviews would want to try dinner at least one night.
Finally, my wife is one of those people where complete strangers come up to her and share their most personal information. We have stayed at other B and B's and have seriously considered running one ourselves. Our daughter is studying hotel management, In trying to get some conversation going she asked how he had gotten into running this property. "Its a business opportunity" was his reply.
Maybe so, but this business is one in customer service and most of us expect some warm and fuzzy and thus I can understand many of the comments previously stated.

Finally, Do not miss a sunset at Bodega Head only a short drive away around Bodega Bay and bring something warm to wear and definitely a camera!

Room Tip: The ones by the pool all are very nice but so are the rooms in the back and they are not too far awa...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Richard S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega
Bodega Bay Lodge
#5 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa? Share your experiences!