Bodega Dunes Campground
Inn at the Tides(Bodega Bay)
US$265
US$212
Bodega Bay Lodge(Bodega Bay)(Great Value!)
US$284
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
Bodega Harbor Inn(Bodega Bay)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstate parknice sitedump stationsonoma coastcamp sites areshort walkbodega headrangerwright
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I helped my son plan his trip to the campground. There were 16 teens/young adults in the group. We knew the rules...8 per campsite, number of tents, etc. Reservations were paid by me on credit card. When the group got there they endured the car inspections for alcohol (they did not have any), then the rangers told them that they could never have more than 8 people in a site during the day, meaning that they could not share their meals together and socialize. Then, the ranger suggested that this probably wasn't the right type of campground for a group of young adults and that they would be better off driving down the road to another campground. The kids were very upset and decided to leave. I immediately called the State Park system to find out what was wrong, they called over to the campground but nobody would answer the phone. The person who I spoke with said that they could certainly eat together and socialize during the day. I called the State Parks four times over a period of week to come to some resolution. They never did speak to the ranger and they went ahead and charged my credit card for cancellation fees for two sites, even though the group left as a result of the rangers actions. Lesson learned....this is not a campground for groups!

Stayed: June 2008
6  Thank camprus
Reviewed 16 July 2008

In short, we were only able to get a reservation for our second nights stay online because the campground was full. When we arrived in town, we were directed to the overflow lot at Wright's Beach.
We were very lucky and we able to get a space (#21) at Wright's Beach because another camper left early. Any space there is a good space. Easy beach access, clean restrooms and clean campsites.
Our second night at Bodega Dunes was disappointing. It appears that there is water or beach access on the map. We got space #67, very large and backs up to the bay. You cannot access the bay because of a cyclone fence surrounding the property. In order to get to the beach, you have to drive back towards the entrance and turn down a narrow road into the dunes. You drive about a mile until you arrive at a parking lot (no RV slots). Then you have to walk a trail up and over the dune to get to the beach. Are you tired yet....
Restrooms are decent, free showers are a heavy mist of luke warm water. But at least you can wash up.
Basically, unless you don't mind treking to see the ocean or bay this is not the place for you. Great for someone with large camp groups or that plans to sit at the site.

4  Thank MrsLLL529
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the dunes and we had a good time. The weather was mostly foggy, but mild with a high between 65-69. We didnt get into any trouble with the ranger, however, I did see him harass other individuals on about 3 occasions (I think as long as you follow the rules, you will be fine!). Our group booked 3 sites, however we ended up staying together on sites 84 & 85 since there really wasn't 3 decent sites next to each other that were not already taken. A few of the campsites are located close to vacation rentals (Friday night the revelers let loose with music and loud interaction until the wee hours of the AM), not to mention when your camping, you expect the have nature in the backdrop and not houses! Some other sites are located close to noisy hwy 1 or next to the road that leads to the marina! Watch out for the late night visits by the skunks and racoons! Make sure EVERYTING/ANYTHING food related needs to be put away and out of reach! The skunks are not afraid of humans and not afraid to sniff any crumb out of hiding! We also had a young buck run through our site on the way to the ocean! We had a few youngsters in our group and they loved the sand dune in our campsite! One thing that i didn't like about the campground is the fact that all the sites are first come first served, with or without a reservation. When the people first get here, they drive through the loops like racing idiots! They forget the speed limit is only 15 and not 25 or 30! So keep a real close eye on the littler members of your party to make sure they don't become a victim of carelessness! overall we enjoyed our stay and may return again.

Reviewed 4 July 2008

We drove up to Bodega Dunes July 1st. We arrived around 10:00am with no reservation. They handed us a map of the 98 campsites. The ranger told us to find one we liked and let her know.
We really liked #31 right across from showers and restrooms. It was on sand and backed up against large dunes with lots of trees, a fire pit and food locker. Everything was very well kept and clean. Most sites were seperated enough so you didn't see your neighbor.
There are two seperate beaches within walking distance. I like the Pacific Ocean side the best. You can drive almost right up to the beach or walk about 10 min. to it. When perchasing the campsite pass for $25 you can visit any California state park for free for the following 24 hours. We really liked some of the other beaches we sampled on the way home.
At dusk a buck passed through our campsite. We overheard someone mention seeing a fox as well. We saw a couple of different tracks in the sand around our car, looked like raccoon.The weather was great for coastal temp. about 79 high 52 low. At night it was so quiet everyone was so respectfull, you could hear the ocean faintly. It was really comfortable even in a tent. The Dune hills really seemed to cut the winds down.
We will be back, our kids loved it.

6  Thank MirandaPen
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I am a youth leader for a church in West Sacramento, California, and decided to take a group of our young members on a trip to the coast. There was a group of twenty of us and we decided to stay at Bodega Dunes Campgrounds. The gatesman was nice, but the Park Ranger by the name of Ben was not as nice. I guess he was threatened by the size of our group. He harrassed me on more than one occasion, and at one point he stood on the street next to our campsite watching us and waiting for someone to mess up. At dusk we made a campfireand told ghost stories. I was the last one in bed at 11:30pm. The next morning I was starting breakfast, and the "camp host" came up and was angry that we were up all night being loud. I questioned him about a formal complaint after 10pm and he couldn't answer me. He kicked us out on a note left by Ben. I have no idea why they didn't want us there... I'm assuming they don't like larger groups. I will NEVER return there.

• Stayed: June 2008