Grand Hotel Bolinas
US$152
US$198
US$186
US$246
Marin Suites Hotel(Corte Madera)
US$184
US$175
Tamalpais Motel(Mill Valley)
US$133
US$120
Agoda.com
Panama Hotel(San Rafael)
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed 1 night in this hotel and even the location is good I have paid 70usd for 1 night on a tuesday wich I found extremly high for this type of accomodation with shared bath not so clean.

The area around the house is dirty and I think that the owner could make a effort to justify his prices.

But that is the cheapest hotel in this area...

• Stayed: September 2011
6  Thank Kunstkamera
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Based on reviews here, my friends and I booked this place for a weekend. We were two couples who each stayed in one of the two rooms. As someone who is typically quite comfortable in rustic settings, I was expecting something quirky and interesting. I wasn't looking for the Ritz, but this place was nevertheless problematic.

I thought that staying in an old house would be charming. In this case it just meant it was moldy. The whole place smelled that way and triggered my allergies. Thank goodness for benadryl at bedtime.

We gave our taller friends the bigger room. Good thing, because my partner and I, both only 5"3", could barely fit in the small bed we had. Not only was the double bed fairly short, but it was wedged in blush with the walls so the only way you could get in and out was at the foot of the bed. I think it was a good thing that we all knew each other, because sound definitely carries so you have minimal privacy. With earplugs, it worked out okay.

We used the kitchen only once for breakfast, but it wasn't very inviting. The stove had a small flame that meant it took a long time to heat anything.

Bottom line--it was cheap and we made it work because we were only there to sleep and out all the time, but if you are looking for a comfortable place to hang out this wouldn't be it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank Rhymetime
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The house is one of the original Bolinas homes. We rented the front bedroom and had the house to ourselves. It felt (and smelled) like my grandma's old house when I was a little girl; very nostalgic for me. Skinny steep staircase, dusty antiques, claw-foot tub bath, funky kitchen with a hodge-podge of functional furnishings. The owner is an affable fellow who stays on the property, but not in the main house. He graciously allowed us an early check-in. The gallery downstairs full of "vintage collectibles" was unfortunately closed during our spring mid-week stay; it looked like a fun place to browse.
The home is conveniently located, half a block to the store and the restaurant and the bar ("downtown"), and one block to the wonderful beach.
The room was affordable and complemented the whole Bolinas experience perfectly. I'd gladly return to the Grand Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank 2sailaway
Reviewed 23 December 2010

My partner and I loved our stay here. The hotel consists of two bedrooms above a second-hand curiosity shop, with a shared bathroom and kitchen downstairs. It's rustic, simple, and comfortable. The bedroom was clean, with fresh linen and towels. The kitchen was clean but a bit cluttered and dusty. This didn't put us off but if you're the kind of person who likes prim, spotless, industrially cleaned accommodation this place probably isn't for you.

What the Grand Hotel has in absolute buckets-full is charm and cosiness. The owner has a reputation for being a bit gruff but he was a total sweetheart to us, even when I messed up the booking dates and he thought we were a no-show.

We would definitely come back to stay here if we returned to Bolinas.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank talof2cities
Reviewed 1 January 2010

This place has it all and nothing at all at the very same time. The first floor is up to its ears in antiques and local lore, carefully curated by the keeper of the hotel and shop owner. The top floor - the hotel - is modest, yet comfortable. It has an unkempt charm.

The upstairs has two bedrooms. They are close together, so it's possible to hear noises from the adjacent room, but that was not a problem for us. The back bedroom is the smaller and darker of the two. It is nice, but the fillet of the sleeping quarters is really the front bedroom. It is super spacious, has more light and a more romantic feel (I think the bed may be bigger) than the back room, and it just looks like it's built for a couple. We stayed in that one for two nights and were very happy with the comfy bed and the chairs nestled against the front window, which allowed us to gaze upon the street below and the Bolinas happenings and doings, such as they are.

The owner is very pleasant guy but pretty no nonsense (I asked him about Bolinas' shark attacks, hoping for some awesome tails of surfer gashes and underwater harpoon tangles, but he just sorta scoffed and said don't worry. Giving me the obviously outtatowner counterwink.) He did however let us in on a great hike over the Bolinas bluff to the ocean.

The only odd thing about experience at the Grand Hotel was that my GF thought she heard or felt something during the night. It was probably just a dream, and we weren't scared in the least. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a ghost that haunts the Hotel -- it's just that sort of vibe. But surely it is a friendly spirit, and it will only enhance the experience!

I give this place two thumbs up. For the price, the location (just blocks from the beach), and the vibe (open kitchen, fresh air, comfy space), it can't be beat. Not to mention, if you stay here, you will not forget it. It's the type of place that creates memories.

Couple other suggestions: (1) Visit the screen printing shop in town. Some of the best sweatshirts around. (2) Also, the West Marin Biology labs are back in session. My GF was so excited she enrolled in a course and is continuing her studies on Limpets and Nudibranches. (3) Listen to the local radio station KWMR - awesome.

Here's to a great trip!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple