“Stay for the food. It's the secret gem of Mendocino.”
Review of Boonville Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boonville
Boonville Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boonville
“Stay for the food. It's the secret gem of Mendocino.”
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I almost don’t want to write this review, because this Hotel is such a gem of a secret.

The Boonville Hotel’s website shows thumbnail views of the accommodations that made me wary of quality of their establishment. However, since I tend to avoid lacey doily-laden B&B’s with 16 different fabric textures in one room, I decided to call them and book anyway and reserved a dinner table for the first night.

It is about 2+ hours north of San Francisco and is on the way to the City of Mendocino.

I was pleasantly surprised. Their style is what I can only call modern southwestern. This historic hotel was built in 1862 and still retains that well-maintained charm. On the inside, it has been remodeled to contain 8 rooms in the main building and two separate studios out back.

There was a nice living room downstairs with games and books and plenty of room to hang out and a nice bar and restaurant in the back. There are no phones, TVs, or internet, but we did not miss those amenities once during our stay. We did have cell phone service, which was a bonus.

I had read that the owners of this hotel also own French Laundry in Napa, which is deemed to be one of the best restaurants around.

We went up to our room, which had a nice living room area and a balcony with a hammock on it with a view of the beautiful surrounding oak-dotted hills. We walked around the town and were a bit disappointed that the General Store and Wine-Tasting room across the street closed at 5PM. So we walked a little further down to a small market and bought some local fruit and wine.

We returned for dinner and sat outside in their lovely garden. Speaking to the other patrons, I realized that we were surrounded by locals. When the food came out, I realized why. Delicate seasonings paired with quality foods. Add a local wine and it was an excellent dining experience. We spent quite a while on that deck, enjoying the ambience and friendly service before we went to bed early.

My only complaint about my stay is the traffic noise we heard from our front room. Perhaps the interior rooms are quieter.

The next morning, we woke up early, had coffee, locally grown apple juice and freshly baked scones downstairs and drove the 40 minutes to the city of Mendocino. We had considered staying in Mendocino, but seeing how overcast and gloomy it was, we were very happy to be staying in the sunny Anderson Valley at the Boonville Hotel. We then went wine-tasting on the way back to the hotel. After speaking with locals, we decided to eat again at the hotel, as everything else was deemed either horrible or closed. We were delighted once again. The menu had changed enough so that I could have something different, but my wife wanted to have the same thing. We even asked for and received a recipe on the way out.

Bottom line: If you want friendly service, great food, clean, modern accommodations, and a great starting point to visit Mendocino and the wineries of Anderson Valley, this is the place to be.

• Liked — Almost Everything
  • Disliked — Road Noise in Front Rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask the locals where to eat and keep in mind the General Store and Tasting room across the street close at 5PM
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
13 Thank Derek L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boonville
Sea Ranch Lodge
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Been to Boonville Hotel? Share your experiences!