“Would stay again”

Palms at Indian Head
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We only had one night in this place. It's small and friendly, only 12 rooms. We arrived late and caught the tail end of dinner - I had a tasty burger. Huge, comfortable bed, lovely room, retro style, well captured. When we woke in the morning the sunrise was outstanding and breakfast outside by the pool lovely. great deal that one main breakfast dish and drink comes with the stay - tasty. Peaceful.

Room Tip: I imagine they are all equally excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fraz161
There are newer reviews for Palms at Indian Head

Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Palms is very unusual. We chose it after reading Trip Advisor write-ups. The hotel has a fabulous history, and the expansive lobby displays many photos, clippings and other artifacts from past times. There are many artistic decorating touches as well. There are only 12 rooms in the hotel, so there is not a desk person on duty at all times, although there is a phone you can use to call for a staff member. There are no phones in the rooms and the TVs are not flat screen (not that we cared). The wifi is OK. The views and solitude are fabulous, as is the pool. Our stay included breakfast at the Krazy Coyote Restaurant, which is on site. The breakfast wasn't usual either - we chose one of the quiches or frittata, which came with a really yummy fresh fruit salad, and a beverage. We also ate dinner there one night and both of us enjoyed outstanding meals. There seems to be a number of ongoing projects around the grounds of the hotel, which is located seemingly out in the middle of nowhere, but is only a few minutes from the main part of town. We had a minor problem with our door lock and I would say the carpet in the rooms could be updated, but all in all we loved it here and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a decidedly different desert retreat.

Room Tip: I would ask for an upstairs room with a desert view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dot13
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have to counter the negative review I saw while trying to make my next reservation here. We stayed here in spring 2011 and 2012. They were full on our dates in spring 2013. We absolutely love leaving the curtains open in the morning and watching the sun rise from bed. We love the laid back atmosphere. Really nice large pool under the clear desert sky. Can walk to the Borrego Palm Springs (10 mi round trip?).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerPaul18
JackpotJack, Owner at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Sun Rises are beautiful in Borrego Springs, too many people sleep through that magically time in the morning. Thank you for being a regular visitor and appreciating the positives in life. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It has been awhile, but, Julian & I drove our dear friends, Louis & Elvira Weaver to The Palms at Indian Head, in 2004 to celebrate the Weaver's 28th wedding anniversary. The Palms management, upgraded our reservations to the darling "casitas" at pool-side (due to some unknown minor water problem in the main bldg.) The accommodations were extraordinary, small fireplace in the "casita" a great king-size bed, great comfort ammenities such as a great bath, nice mini-frig. + small wet-bar in the rooms. The Weavers along with us, were thrilled. I recall having read in the hotel's history, notables like: Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne, Raymond Burr, William Bendix were among their previous guests. And I, did some-what see, in a misty blur Marilyn's ghost strolling beside the pool that evening!! We highly recommend The Palms!

Room Tip: For a "bit more $$" do try the adorable "casitas" accommodations at The Palms at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan R W
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This place is basically a scam. I've been to some pretty bad hotels, but this one takes the cake. I've stayed in better hotels in the middle of nowhere in Burma where there are power outages and limited running water, but at least there are people in the hotel. Here, nobody. My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night in late July 2013 for $160, and it was horrible. I would not go here if someone payed me $160.
We got there a little late at 6 pm and there was nobody at the front desk, nobody in the lobby, and nobody in the restaurant. We were the only people in the entire "hotel." It was utterly deserted and spooky. There was a folder with our room information, keys and treasure hunt like directions to finding our so-called casita, which was a room in a unit, not an independent "casita". Just to begin, the floors were dusty since the doors are not entirely sealed. There were two beetles in the room. We turned on the central air conditioning, which was feeble and noisy, definitely not enough to cool down a room. Then we found that the shower didn't work. Warm water ran from the bath faucet, but when I switched to the shower, I got nothing. Not a drip. After fussing with it for a minute, I got a dribble. So I thought I would see if I could call the front desk in case someone was there, but there was no phone in the room. At this point we were thirsty, dirty, hot, and tired. At least we could jump in the pool? No, the surface was covered with bugs and various plants. I remembered reading on the website that there was ice. So I took my ice bucket to the lobby and looked for an ice machine. What I got was a cooler with a half inch of slushy water on the bottom. No ice. It's a good thing we brought cold water because the fridge was not cold at all.
We began to feel very unsafe in this place. There were no dead bolts on the locks, and the doors to our room were conventional locks, not electronic ones. Since there was no security guard, anybody with a picklock could have come in and entered our room, or any room for that matter. So for the night we put chairs against the doors just in case. The next morning we went to have breakfast and had our first sight of a person, who was nice enough and gave us our breakfast, which was okay. I checked for ice, still nothing. So we packed our bags and went over to La Casa del Zorro, which was like a heaven to this particular hell.

I get it...it's the desert and nobody wants to work during the summer hours. That being said, it's still the desert. People need air conditioning and ice and showers and if you can't deliver the basic necessities of being in the desert, then close up shop.

I would not recommend this place to anyone and I would warn people with families not to stay here as there is nobody to help you if you need something. Go to La Casa instead and have a great stay there.

Room Tip: casitas are not independent houses all to yourself, so if you want to come here, don't bother wi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank J G
JackpotJack, Owner at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

We are not a scam; we take our business very seriously.

Glad to hear that your breakfast was acceptable. Our property as you can tell from other reviews is not for everyone. Our regular guests look forward to getting the property to themselves and enjoying the peace and quiet that few places still offer. That quiet results in an abundance of wildlife that inhabits our property. In the evening, guests are treated to exceptionally dark skies with the Milky Way visible almost every night.

During the summer, the Hotel is staffed daily from 7:30 am until 10 pm. If you were having problems with check-in, air-conditioning or having shower head issues why did you not go to the restaurant (60 feet from the front desk) as the sign on the front desk next to the after hours courtesy phone suggests you do? The bartender or server would have been more than happy to assist and even get you ice, as opposed to having you cower in your room.

I personally inspected your room and found no problem whatsoever with your air-conditioning or showerhead. There were six very cold soda’s in your refrigerator and 2 liters of bottled water on the wet bar counter. Phone cell service fully available. But that is not really what this is all about.

Our guests embrace the uniqueness that the desert, and our property in particular, have to offer. They don’t freak out about a few bugs or 2 beetles. They don’t cower in their room.

We are certainly not a scam, although we think your review is. This is exactly what is wrong with TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have stayed at the Palms twice. It is quiet, relaxing, and remote with a friendly staff. I found it to be very reasonably priced. If you want a desert visit without the hundreds of thousands of tourists like Palm Springs I recommend this hotel. There is live music in town a few minutes away. The desert hiking is also excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the pool, one that isn't blocked by the outside deck on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilliamNe
Reviewed 6 June 2013

On our route from San Diego to San Francisco, we took a side trip to Anza-Borrego desert and spent two nights at The Palms. So glad we found that gem right in the middle of nowhere! We stayed at one of the casitas with direct access to the huge pool. The casita itself was in top-notch shape - nice bathroom, fully equipped kitchenette, cosy bed. We spent hours at the pool, just hanging out and inhaling the unique, peaceful atmosphere, the palms, the heat, the sun and the special, elegantly weathered aura of the hotel. Every now and then, we thought "Alright, that's how it must have been in the 50s". Great experience - we're definitely planning to come back some time. And when in Borrego Springs, you HAVE to try the spare ribs at Carlee's!

Room Tip: Try to get one of the Casitas!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
JackpotJack, Owner at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

We are very glad you found us. We are a bit off "the beaten path". Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that your stay with us was a special experience. We endeavor to keep the feeling of the 50's, a simpler time, alive at the Palms. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrego Springs
La Casa del Zorro Resort & Spa
La Casa del Zorro Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Borrego Springs
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Club, BW Premier Collection
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Cl...
#2 of 3 in Borrego Springs
#6 of 7 in Borrego Springs
Warner Springs Ranch Resort
Warner Springs Ranch Resort
#1 of 1 in Warner Springs

Been to Palms at Indian Head? Share your experiences!