“Nice quiet motel, great place.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Borrego Springs
Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here in March 2013, and had a great time. We stayed in the cheapest room - only $75! Our room was clean, the grounds natural and lovely. The pool was pristine and pretty warm (not quite the mid-80's I was hoping for, but I'm a warm water wimp).

We walked to a cool liquor store with fun novelties to bring home to my son. Also walking distance from a decent Mexican restaurant. It was nice not to have to drive.

Days after we got home, I had lost my keys. I called and the owner (the husband?) was super nice. He found them in the dresser drawer of our room and mailed them to me that same day. What he didn't know was that my dad had died not long before this trip; that extra act of kindness somehow meant all the more to me. Seems hotels never bother with such things when I leave something behind!

I agree with others here that the lady wasn't friendly, but her husband (?) made up for it. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

2  Thank JENCP

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We find it hard to beat this motel while visiting Borrego Springs. A central location managed by Mike who has a great sense of humor and makes you feel welcome. The motel rooms are spartan, but very clean and very tidy for a very moderate price. There are nice cottages on the property and maybe we'll rent a cottage on our next visit.

2  Thank huelani
Hacienda610, Owner at Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you so much for joing us at the Hacienda del Sol on your visit this month. We try very hard to make our rooms as reasonable as possible, while at the same time accommodating your needs. The duplexes and cottages have full kitchens, living room, bedroom, bathroom and private patios. The cottages also have both indoor and outdoor fireplaces and extra large private patios.

We welcome your return to the Hacienda...

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We loved this beautiful oasis and hope to come back for a longer stay next year. We enjoyed the quiet, as well as the convenient location. Reasonable rates are one of the main attractions. Very friendly staff, clean rooms, great landscaping. We also liked the fact that the pool is heated. Future improvements could include wifi in individual units.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have a table, but Mike very kindly provided a card table for us to work on. The picnic...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angelika H
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Just returned from another relaxing stay at Hacienda del Sol. As usual everything was fantastic! Loved the updated shower and bathrooms, Mike always makes us feel welcome and keeps us comming back year after year. As for updating...Maybe a comfortable chair...Anne B.

1  Thank Anne560
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Per tripadvisor reviews,we stayed at the Hacienda Del Sol, in Borrego Springs, in a separate cottage with kitchen. The location is perfect, easy walk--trip, really, to downtown, and the fabulous Anza Borrego Nature store. The room had a wood-burning fireplace, and somebody was selling mesquite wood for $10 a barrel down the road. We cooked all our meals on the propane stove, which had one working burner(which was fortunate!), and an oven that seemed to work well. The kitchen has adequate counter space, and a great, vintage, very deep sink. The whole place was covered with floor-to-ceiling windows, so I used black plastic bags and tape to make the bedroom darker.

The place has a dvd player that works, so we watched Plagues and Pleasures of the Salton Sea again--great doco about the unfortunate Salton Sea, a little ways north of here, and resident humans, fish, and birds. The nearby Anza Borrego State Park is enormous, well-maintained, and the 1.5 mile walk into among the last real palm oases in California is amazingly beautiful--a bit of rock scrambling toward the end of the trail, but pretty easy otherwise. We saw hummingbirds, warblers, finches, heard frogs!. Since it rained last week, there were lots of flowers blooming, and the ocotillos had leaves and blooms on them. Walked by and across Palm Canyon creek--flowing, clear, water in the desert!

We caught an art show at the new art center, and got to see lots of landscape pastels, watercolors and oils, several of which had the (19)50's 'Hacienda Del Sol' neon sign in them.

Hacienda Del Sol needs a little TLC, and the owner might consider a solar water heater for the pool(heater has been out now for a few months, and it was pretty chilly). The shower is spacious and there's lots of hot water--which could be solar heated as well. Funny, we only saw one set of solar panels in all of the desert. There's got to be more than that.....

The decor is quite worn and the bed isn't good--but I always take a ThermaRest pad with me, so every bed is just fine.

The landscaping is very well done, and the patio is lovely, with an umbrella to pull up if needed, and a barbeque pit as well.

All in all, the iconic Hacienda Del Sol is funky and fun, and we're planning our next trip back--Borrego is a fabulous drive from San Diego, through the mountains, and the oak lands I never even knew existed.

Room Tip: There are several room options--duplex, motel-style rooms, and casitas, or cottages, where we stayed...
1  Thank arachne
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My family and I have been attending an annual event in Borrego Springs for 20 years.

We have stayed here consistently because of the following:

1. Friendly, helpful staff

2. "extra-mile" service

3. Reasonable rates

4. It's close to everything - groceries, multiple restaurants, areas to explore

5. They have a variety of units available, including room to park trailers.

6. Privacy and quiet

As a bonus, the grounds and the pool are very well kept.

I don't hesitate to recommend Hacienda Del Sol to everyone that I know.

The only downside to making the recommendation is that they might not have room for me next time.

I would be willing to validate this review.

Ask the staff to give you my phone number or e-mail address

Mike

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I cannot remember dealing with a manager so rude, awful and arrogant. She was an older lady with long, gray hair and a mean face. We asked to see the room we were interested in and she immediately shook her head no and said we couldn't because "if we wanted to see something wrong with the room, we would find it". The cost would have been $150 and we were not allowed to see it. We could not believe how rude she was. I think she figured someone would rent it so she really didn't care and indeed there were people behind us who were interested. We went to The Palms at Indian Head and had just the opposite experience.The woman was delightful and immediately offered to show us the room and took much time answering all our questions.For $20 more, we got a beautiful room,a pool and sauna and an amazing breakfast included in the price. We are frequent visitors to Anza Borrego and we will never try to go to the Hacienda again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Luth H

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Hacienda del Sol. I apologize if you felt mis-treated when inquiring about the property. Under no circumstances is the behavior of our manager acceptable, and I apologize for it. Unfortunately all employees have bad days, and it appears you were greeted with one of those days.

I would encourage you to give us another try. We would be happy to show you any of our available accommodations, and I think you will find our centrally located property, very cliean, comfortable and reasonable. Our duplexes and cottages have full kitchens, living room, bedroom, bathroom and private patios. The Cottages also have both indoor and outdoor fireplaces and extra large private patios. We keep your pool heated year round, have complimentary DVD's, WiFi, daily newspaper and ice machine. We also have a regulation shuffleboard court, horseshoes and outdoor lighted BBQ patios, with outdoor fireplace.

I hope you will consider us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrego Springs
Julian Lodge
#1 of 3 in Julian
2 mi away
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Club, BW Premier Collection
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Cl...
#2 of 3 in Borrego Springs
#1 of 7 in Borrego Springs
Stanlunds Inn and Suites
Stanlunds Inn and Suites
#6 of 7 in Borrego Springs

Been to Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol? Share your experiences!