“Old Fashioned Motel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Borrego Springs
Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol
alexandria, Virginia
“Old Fashioned Motel”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is a modest, old style motel (there are also separate cottages) of about 10 rooms where we spent one night on our way from San DIego to Temecula through the desert. The room came with good towels, soap, shampoo, and a coffee maker. The lighting was acceptable and there were space heaters for the cold morning. Wifi is available in the lobby and there is a Kendall's Cafe across the broad main street, which serves basic but adequate American fare. The motel takes one back to the 1950's.

Room Tip: Make sure you understand that you are getting a basic, old fashioned, motel room. Nothing special...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Fontana, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our frist time staying in Borrego Springs, and it will not be our last becuase of the hotel. When we arrived Mike greeted us with a smile and made us feel at home, his help with POI within walking distance made my wifes day. The duplex was great, quit and very clean, the kitchen was well supplied with the small things I always forget. My wife spent more time taking pictures of the wildlife on the hotels grounds than most any thing else. I highly recomend you stay with these folks and enjoy the simple things life can give.

The Bielman family

Room Tip: The odd numbered duplexs have a great view of the sun rise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Shaun B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We found the Hacienda del Sol simple, but very good - exactly what we were after. We stayed in a kitchenette unit which had plenty of space. Clean, bright, well organised, and an excellent base to explore the desert and the town. Well worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DSaunders065
Fareham, Hampshire
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hacienda del Sol, with its iconic illuminated sign, is a a great place to stay for 1950s style. It's suitably dated but clean with characterful hosts. The shower defeated me and I needed help but, once I knew the secret, there was plenty of lovely hot water. No fridge but snag some ice for the cool box and your drinks will be perfect. Lots of good places to eat within a short walk.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I went back to the Hacienda for another visit...the pool has been redone, the driveway repaved and the rooms redecorated! A tree blew over in a big wind a few months ago, typical of the desert. Still a friendly and fun place to visit!

Room Tip: try a duplex!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMSTUDIO
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We decided on a whim to drive from Los Angeles out to Borrego Springs on a Saturday night. Mike welcomed us and left the light on and door open for us and gave us great directions to our duplex. We arrived at 12:30 am and he had left the a/c on for us so we arrived to a comfortable room.

We woke up to a gorgeous moonscape desert with little cottontail bunnies running all over the place. It was already 92 degrees at 9 am and we jumped into the perfectly clean pool. We had the place to ourselves, because the summer heat isn't for the faint of heart. There were a few other guests but they seemed to stay in their rooms. It felt like our own private pool.

We walked to the market and gas station next door for morning coffee. We crossed the road to the mall and got blueberry pancakes at Kendall's Cafe. Later on we had chicken enchiladas at Carmelita's (also across the street in the mall).

We are definitely coming back to this hotel ASAP. We felt relaxed and calm in our little oasis, an unusual and priceless feeling for us. The duplex room had a living room with sofa, a bedroom with king size bed, and a small kitchen and bathroom (shower only, new tile). Our 9 year old child slept comfortably on the sofa in the living room (we didn't check if it was a sofa bed, she just slept on the top with a blanket). The cottages looked nice and had patios with BBQ and fire pit, but they are better size for couples. The duplexes look better for families but don't have the same patio.

The only negatives were that the shower didn't drain very fast and started to pool up, but I probably should have just told Mike that rather than blabbing it on the internet. I'm sure they'll fix it. The room was otherwise perfect and clean in in good repair. And the shower was brand new, attractive glass tile. Also, the a/c was a bit loud, but given that the a/c is the only thing making conditions livable in the desert I am thankful to have it.

Room Tip: Duplex for family, cottage for couples.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SnoodMama
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here in March 2013, and had a great time. We stayed in the cheapest room - only $75! Our room was clean, the grounds natural and lovely. The pool was pristine and pretty warm (not quite the mid-80's I was hoping for, but I'm a warm water wimp).

We walked to a cool liquor store with fun novelties to bring home to my son. Also walking distance from a decent Mexican restaurant. It was nice not to have to drive.

Days after we got home, I had lost my keys. I called and the owner (the husband?) was super nice. He found them in the dresser drawer of our room and mailed them to me that same day. What he didn't know was that my dad had died not long before this trip; that extra act of kindness somehow meant all the more to me. Seems hotels never bother with such things when I leave something behind!

I agree with others here that the lady wasn't friendly, but her husband (?) made up for it. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple