“Steps above standard Chinese fare”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Red Pearl Chinese Cuisine
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Best Chinese food. Extend menu including over 200 dishes. Also Serve meat Vegan and gluten-free dishes. Free TV and wi-fi access.
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've lived in Boulder Creek for over 30 years, but have traveled the globe, and feel very fortunate that we have a Chinese restaurant that rises above the boring Chinese cuisine of most other establisments in Santa Cruz County. The menu is extensive, and I'm always happy with my choices, particularly the spicy,slightly sweet and tangy Mango Beef. While they specialize in take-out, they do have a few tables for dine-in. Due to waste water issues in downtown Boulder Creek, they must serve on disposable plates when you eat-in, but they are conscience of eco-friendly solutions. We have a large family reunion venue close by that brings 100s of guests to the San Lorenzo Valley each year, and we always get excellent reviews from our guests about Red Pearl's fast and friendly service, reasonable cost, and exquisite food....and there is almost always something extra put in the take-out bags for no charge. Definately a "must" if you are visiting the redwood forest on your way through Boulder Creek.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had takout and it was delicious. Prompt service and lots of choices. The sweet and sour pork was really tasty

1  Thank journeypal
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This place is a hidden gem. The food is great. The owner is really super friendly and nice. I love going here.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I've heard that some San Franciscans think our little local hole-in-the-wall restaurant serves the best Chinese food this side of The Great Wall. We agree. I've probably evaluated Jenny and Ren's cuisine before, but today I'm here to testify that their Egg Foo Yung is undoubtedly the best I've tasted in my 60 years of eating this delicious dish. Red Pearl's version is a huge plateful of fluffy omelet absolutely packed with fresh vegetables of every variety: bamboo shoot, water chestnut and bean sprouts, of course, but also crisp slices of celery, thin onions, meaty mushrooms, and chopped carrots, plus peas -- and probably more that I can't recall. You can add chicken, pork or beef to the omelet if you're in a carnivorous mood. The "rich brown gravy sauce" is ladled generously over all, and the meal is served with hot or iced jasmine tea if you like -- and a small bowl of either egg-flower or hot/sour soup. Of course there is a truly extensive menu of every kind of dish you might love to order on an oriental-dining tour (including Pekin duck, walnut chicken or prawns, and a lot of the more elegant dishes usually not found in a small place like this. They also offer very thrifty "special lunch menu" combos with a large selection of choices, all including rice and soup. I admit you would not expect to find such treasure in our tiny mountain burg with its country-western ambience; but who built the railways that hauled out our timber and made our redwood economy so prosperous? Ren and Jenny's ancestors, no doubt about it; and these dear people are still around to feed us well today. So take a drive up Route 9 from Santa Cruz and spend a day feasting and enjoying the clear mountain air and beautiful forests where we lucky ones live.

2  Thank GrannieFrannie007
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great menu and many specials listed daily. Jenny is the heart of the Red Pearl, she goes out of her way to make you feel welcome and well fed