“Danger! Stay at your own risk!”
Review of Country Lane Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buellton
Country Lane Motel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Buellton
Newbury Park, California
“Danger! Stay at your own risk!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I were traveling on President's Day weekend and had no hotel reservations. As nighttime crept upon us, we desperately tried to find a place to stay. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere, was booked! There were no vacancies anywhere. After about an hour and a half of checking every hotel/motel in sight, we happened upon the Country Lane. It was both a blessing and a curse. There was indeed a vacancy, which we snatched up in a second, but we had no idea what we were in for. We were given room #1, reminiscent of the Bates motel, and proceeded to take our bags into the room. The room was scary! The bathroom, in particular, was disgusting. It looked like it was built in the '50's or '60's and had not been updated since. The white tile floor was cracked all over the place, and when you stepped on it, you coud feel it squish beneath you. God knows what was living under the tile. The furniture in the room was out of the 1970's and had not aged well. The chairs were all scuffed up, the lamp shades were cracked, and the table base was scratched and discolored. The only thing the room had going for it, is we did not see any bugs crawling around. Not saying there're were not any, we just didn't see them. However, the ancient baseboard heater did work well and kept us wam. This was the worst motel I have ever stayed at, and if we were not desperate, we would have walked out as oon as we walked in. So unless you are desperate, avoid ths motel at ll costs!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kvduarte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wien
Reviewed 5 October 2011

we did a west coast trip and had to find a night stop somewhere halfway between San Francisco & L.A.. First we wanted to stop in Santa Barbara, but our Lonely Planet guide advised to stay somewhere before or after it, because rooms in SB are fairly expensive. It was already 8.30pm, we just got off the 101 at Buellton & first stopped at the Marriott - $ 200 for a night! That was too much. So we decided to stop at one of the many Motels lining up after the 101 exit and took the first one for $ 52 (the next one would have been called 'Sleepy hollow'). The Country Lane Motel was scary enough. Maybe it appeared even worse to us as it was already night.
Anyway the room was ok - bed was comfortable, the bedsheets were clean, TV & heater were working (we didn't try the A/C). BUT the bathroom was not acceptable - there was mold EVERYWHERE. I don't know if it was only in our room and they had a broken water pipe some time, but it was bad in any case.
Besides that, our room neighbor next door had rubber boots standing outside & his door a little bit open - it was like in a scary movie. During the night we figured out that there must be some drug deals going on. We regularly heard the door, steps & cars locking with a honk.
It was not a very relaxing night as we were almost part of a real scary movie, never knowing when the mass murder in rubber boots would step in.. But it was definitely an adventure. Next time i'd probably pick the Marriott - pay more but feel safe ;-)

Room Tip: Only for adventurous travellers!