“A place to lay our head”

Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Buellton
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We only needed a hotel for one night. This place was kind of funky but comfy. The room was OK but clean. The grounds were a bit strange with the huge putting green taking up the courtyard. The danishes in the morning were very good. The coffee was not so good. The staff that we spoke to were very nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather S

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. It was clean and affordable- nothing fancy but had everything we needed.

Thursday and Friday were really quiet but there was a lot of noise on Saturday morning- loud and crying kids, lots of thumping upstairs (we were next to a stairwell), and we must've been next to the laundry room cuz a couple times it sounded like a washing machine was out of balance and shaking violently and loudly... So a bit noisy that morning, but that's to be expected in a budget hotel on a weekend I guess. But I recommend coming during the week when it's quiet. There were still footsteps upstairs on the quiet nights but it wasn't too bad. There was only one other car on our side of the building those nights, and I have a feeling that side was king beds. The other side looked pretty full (when I was young and my family came here, we were always on the other side and it was always queen beds)

Jacuzzi was perfect temperature- not too hot but hot enough.

We were in room 152 (King bed which I thought was pretty comfy), our sliding door opened right up to the jacuzzi. We didn't have an issue with noise from the jacuzzi but if there had been teenagers or kids or drunks in the jacuzzi it might've gotten too loud.

Our room was close to the lobby so our wifi was working but it was too slow for streaming video. We brought an Ethernet cord for the wired internet but it kept saying "it has a self assigned IP address so you won't be able to connect to the internet"- not sure why that didn't work. Oh well.

The tv has lots of channels but the reception was really bad. Most were too fuzzy to watch enjoyably. That's really my only complaint that I wish was better. The tv is a flat screen and not very big but not too tiny either. Maybe 36"???

The shower has a liquid dispenser for blue liquid soap but no shampoo. We brought our own shampoo and soap but they also have soap bars by the sink. There is no electric vent in the bathroom but there is a window high up that you can open to ventilate the bathroom if you need to.

My husband did the "checking in" and "checking out" so I can't comment on the friendliness of staff at the desk, but the maid was the friendliest maid I've ever seen at a hotel. She was very helpful and cheerful. I did go to the lobby at 4:30 one morning to check out some brochures because I couldn't get back to sleep (I had gone to bed really early the night before), and the man there wasn't the friendliest. Not rude but kinda stand-offish. Seemed too busy and I felt like I was bothering him. It's possible he was closing up though- I assumed they were open 24 hrs but it looks like they might have an hour break in there... That would explain it

There's a fridge and microwave in the room but the microwave is VERY old with a manual dial- It was hard to tell where the dial was supposed to be (like maybe it had come off and someone put it back on with the pointer in the wrong place) so trying to microwave my popcorn took awhile to get it popped and then it was burnt. I probably could figure it out if I had played with it more but didn't care enough to. There's a hair dryer also but I didn't try it out. We were able to adjust the temperature in the fridge enough to keep our ice cream hard enough too.

I felt like none of these issues were a huge deal, except the tv reception, and we would come back again, definitely during the week and not on the weekend when it's noisy (unless I plan on getting up around 7 anyway- I'm pregnant and my husband was sick so we wanted a little more sleep). This is probably the best hotel you'll get in this price range in the area for sure though. Only a few minutes drive to solvang too, and not as crowded as solvang either!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mindy M
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Arrived with my wife, made very welcome by a lovely lady on reception, and the room is lovely. Clean and comfortable, and can't wait to try the pool in the morning. Ate next door at the pea soup, which is just fantastic.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had to sleep here because we were tired from driving. Paid $100 odd for a room with 2 queen beds. Room was clean and orderly. However, there are 3 big problems:
1. The breakfast is really really bad. All you get is sliced bread, bad butter, muffins, pastries, juices. No cereal, no milk, no eggs. coffee and tea are bad.
2. Receptionist was very unfriendly.
3. our room was next to a dude who was sitting in his vehicle playing "I am a rock" by S&G loudly at 05:00. Of course, this is not the hotel's fault.

Location of the hotel is not fantastic. There is a spa and a pool to avail of, which is nice. Not a good place for family visits

Room Tip: I would simply avoid the place if possible
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank khandelia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stay here often when we do our wine tasting trips in Santa Barbara wine country. It's the most convenient location from where we go to Santa Ynez, Los Olivos wineries, Foxen Canyon wine trails, etc. Lots of places to go for dinner in Buellton or Solvang after a day of wine tasting within 1 - 2 miles. The rooms are decent size with mini refrigerators and microwaves. Don't expect any luxury. If you want to stay in more luxurious hotel, choose a different place and be ready to pay 3 times more. The two things that bothered me - loud air conditioner and noisy showers. Just hope that your neighbors wouldn't take long showers late at night. That's the reason my grade is 4 (not 5) stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Inna C
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel has a very friendly staff that always willing to help with making your stay great. Good recommendations of local attractions, restaurants and wineries. Rooms are clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Fresh locally famous Danish pastries for breakfast round out a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our stay at the Andersen’s Inn was really wonderful. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The rooms were a good size and very clean. They have a nice continental breakfast every morning in an enclosed gazebo, a putting green, pool and jacuzzi. The location in Buellton is right next to their restaurant – Pea Soup Andersen’s and if you stay at the hotel you receive a discount coupon for the restaurant. Pea Soup Andersen’s is a stop every single time we go to or through Solvang so staying at the hotel was a bonus. We happened to be there right after Christmas to see the lights in Solvang. The decorations all over Buellton & Solvang were amazing. Making it an only slightly lesser rating on our family scale-They have a no pet policy so we left out dog at home with his usual sitter. There was only one problem with our stay, an erroneous extra charge. Our room number must have been relayed accidently by housekeeping to the front desk stating we had a dog and left a huge mess. Our dog is a loud, nervous barker making it impossible to even think about sneaking him into a no pet room and the only way we know we have everything is to clean up our hotel rooms. Since neither claim was true, I called and spoke with the manager. I explained that it could not possibly be our room and the room number must have been mixed up. She reversed the extra charge without any further issue. I was very pleased overall and will stay there the next time we are traveling without the pooch to that area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buellton
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
#1 of 11 in Solvang
Hadsten House
Hadsten House
#3 of 11 in Solvang

Been to Pea Soup Andersen's Inn? Share your experiences!