“Very Nice Experience, Except Horrible Police in Solvang”

Santa Ynez Valley Marriott
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Buellton
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Very Nice Experience, Except Horrible Police in Solvang”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Santa Ynez Valley Marriott is ideally located for your stay in Santa Barbara Wine Country at the intersection of the 101 and State Highway 246. The hotel is located sort of caddy-corner to the Days Inn - Windmill Inn, where Miles and Jack stayed in the movie Sideways, but with the amenities one would expect from a full service Marriott resort hotel. The hotel has nice meeting facilities as well, a very good dining restaurant, and is decorated in an attractive western ranch style decor. Nearby Danish town Solvang is very much worth spending a bit of time in. Nearby Los Olivos is a small early 20th century victorian California town with many excellent tasting rooms. While driving around wine country, the California Highway Partol is visible on occassion. These officers are friendly and helpful if you see one. Beware of the California Sherriffs used by the town of Solvang as its local police. In Solvang, crosswalks are poorly marked with faded white lines; and, no crosswalk signs exist to alert drivers as to the location of the crosswalks. If a pedestrian extends their foot an inch beyond the sidewalk into such a crosswalk on the opposite side of the road, Sheriffs may nab you for a $250 ticket. Even if you had no way of seeing the pedestriansdue to oncoming traffic. This is an unfortunate fee grab on the part of the town of Solvang. This is the only real negative I have encountereed in Santa Barbara County wine country, which I have visited a number of times.

Room Tip: Two side of the Hotel. One looks out to the pool, but also you get a little bit of noise from the 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 623EastCoastTraveler
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hi 623EastCoastTraveler,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide us with very valuable and detailed feedback. It sounds as though our full service amenities provided you with a positive travel experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate experience while touring the local sights. We do hope you will return for a future visit so that we may extend our hospitality once again!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here 3nights in November. Had two rooms as there were two couples. Rooms were standard Marriott (bed wonderfully comfortable), they do not seem to have a concierge but they provided breakfast buffet daily, which was very good. Fresh made to order eggs, omelets, etc. They did have the ready scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc. Large bowl fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. Location was perfect for Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez Valley wine country touring Easy access to Solvang, Lompac, Buellton, Los Olivo, Los Alamos, Ballard. Definitely would stay when in the area.

Hi BUNNYBOYFLOHIO,

It is wonderful to hear that you found our location perfect for touring our wonderful Santa Ynez Valley wine tasting opportunities. It sounds as though the comfortable beds and fresh breakfast options made your stay an enjoyable one. Thank you you taking the time to submit your review and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for many future stays!

New York NY
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very good. Not excellent. Very good.

Definitely not the nicest Marriott but good nonetheless.

Nice guest rooms - very clean. Balconies are very small. Beds are very comfy. Upgraded toiletries. Restaurant is alright - not especially exciting but alright.

Fire pits outside are very nice but the noise from nearby Highway 101 really detracts from it being "special"

The pool area is somewhat sad and uninviting.

The lobby is very nice and the staff are very pleasant.

Hi MoreFFmiles,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. It is good to hear that you found our guest rooms amenities to your liking and our staff’s hospitality and lobby very pleasant. We are sorry though, to hear that you found our pool and fire pit area not as inviting as possible. Please keep in mind that we would love the opportunity to welcome you back again should your travels bring you back to our area.

Newbury Park, Ca
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed there one night this week. Completely decorated for the holidays, and will get you in the Christmas spirit if you're into that kind of thing. I thought it looked very festive. Nice room, big and comfortable with all the necessary amenities. The bed was very comfortable and we got an great nice sleep. Breakfast was included in our "deal" and it was a very nice buffet with an omelet bar with fresh ingredients. If you're staying in the area you can't go wrong with staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Hi regalaone,

We are delighted you chose to stay with us! Thank you for submitting your feedback and sharing your experience with us and future travelers. Nothing make us happier than hearing how much a guest enjoys their stay! It sounds like our holiday spirit, comfortable room amenities, and fresh breakfast offerings made your travels truly enjoyable. We definitely look forward to the opportunity to host you again, should you visit our area in the future.

Chicago
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'm a big Marriott fan--been brand loyal for a couple of decades. I've seen all the Marriotts from around the world and always had good stays. I do agree with some of the previous posters that this Marriott could be spruced up and apparently, it is going to be. I must say that they have a wonderful fire pit out back surrounded with sofa's and I loved sitting out there with a glass of wine, gazing at the stars. So thanks Marriott for that. However, how I was treated at Thanksgiving was a little odd so I'll comment on it. When I checked in, the day before Thanksgiving, I asked what time their Tgiving day buffet was being offered and did I need a reservation? I was told it was all sold out and not available to me. I explained that I was a guest, and it was just going to be me and my 5 year old son, so I asked if I could be accommodated as we didn't have any other plans. I was told no, I could not be accommodated because they had over 600 people reserved. I explained to the front desk clerk that 600 people, in a 4 hour time frame, for a buffet, isn't really that huge of a deal that one more adult and a 5 year old couldn't be served. I was told no way. So I went down to the restaurant, and saw a big sign telling me to join them at the Tgiving day buffet. I asked about it, and I was told "no more people--we have 600 people coming and we can't take you". (then take down your sign)...By this time, I'm stunned that a giant hotel with a worldwide reputation for meetings, parties, events, etc seem so overwhelmed at 600 people coming to a buffet that they refused me. The next day, Thanksgiving, after breakfast, I asked to speak to a manager and told her that I was a long time Marriott Silver member and I was being refused a brunch. The manager told me I could come at 11:00. I explained since I just finished breakfast, I could not have brunch in a half hour. Anyway, she finally relented and let me come at 2:00. I appreciated that but was kind of put off when she said "But we won't do this for you next year--this is it". Well, no worries because not only will you not see me next year, you'll never see me again." And here is the kicker: I get there at two with my 5 year old son and I get seated in a smaller room with many open tables! So I do a quick peek in the ballroom where there were the majority of tables and there are many open tables there as well. It's not over crowded at all. All this drama being tossed at me and it was perfectly fine and my 5 year old son and I were blips on their buffet. It was very odd customer service. The buffet was very nice though and had many delicious items including a really nice dessert table. The one thing I was surprised to see is the chef that was managing the pasta station had a tip jar out. Kind of tacky and I felt it a little below Marriott's command of customer service. I felt like I was in a Dunkin Donuts. But at least I was accommodated but a guest should never have to beg to eat at a holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HappiTravelerChicago
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hi HappiTravelerChicago,

We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to share your travel experience with us and future travelers. We would like to extend our sincerest apology for the situation you encountered regarding the holiday buffet. Please know that this is not the type of hospitality we wish to extend to our guests and we are very sorry you experienced this with us. Your feedback will be shared with management and all of our associates to ensure that these matters are addressed appropriately. We hope you will reconsider a future visit so that we can provide you with the type of stay you deserve.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Clean and comfortable to Marriott standards, but completely lacking in any kind of charm. The room was almost depressing it was so drab. The bathroom was a decent size and the bed was comfortable, and that's about all you can say about it. Granted, you don't go to the Marriott off the 101 at Buellton for a resort experience, but you'd think with the tourists in the wine country (the reason for our trip), they would try to spruce it up a little.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hi redheada1,

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay were less than ideal. Be assured that we continually strive to provide our guests with the best travel experience possible and so we are excited to share that we have plans for renovation to begin in the second half of 2014. Should your travels bring you again to our area, we do hope to get a chance to welcome you back so that we may share our updates with you.

chicago illinois
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a weekend of wine tasting with my daughters. Let me just say at the outset that this hotel is very dated, decor almost what you'd expect to see at a place during a 60's road trip. Furniture very old and dated, as was pretty much everything else. But the staff here are excellent - friendly and helpful and accommodating. There is no concierge lounge here- so they do give you breakfast vouchers. The breakfast is buffet but does have a great omelet bar. It was always very busy but the staff were attentive. The parking is free, there is a bar on property and a coffee bar off of the lobby. The rooms are large with furniture that was mismatched. There is a fitness room with some limited weights as well as cardio machines. This is right off of the highway and a great location for tasting and exploring. And it was pretty much packed the whole weekend. Over all can't say I thought the place was great , but the employees sure were.

Stayed October 2013
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hi lawdogs1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your travel experience with us and future travelers. It is great to know that our staff’s dedicated hospitality, our location and our breakfast buffet made your stay an enjoyable one. We apologize however, for the aspects of your experience that you found satisfactory. Currently, we have plans for renovation to begin in the second half of 2014. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back then, and to provide you with truly fabulous guest experience.

Guest Experience Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buellton
Hotel Corque
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Hadsten House
Hadsten House
#3 of 10 in Solvang

Been to Santa Ynez Valley Marriott? Share your experiences!