“Not what I expected”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Buena Park
Las Vegas
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed there March 29th through April 1. The room was descent but it is not in a great area at all. While standing on the balcony my brother and I both got approached by a drug dealer/pimp asking if we wanted any dope or women. I find this very unacceptable; they should have adequate security to ensure things like this don't happen. We were afraid to leave our room because the man kept hovering.

Another issue I had is for the 85$ a night you would think that 1) the internet would work... we couldn't get any of their 3 internet connections to work; and 2) there would be more than just static channels. I also have a complaint because while I was there we were in a hurry to make check out, and I left a very important bracelet that my late grandmother wore at her funeral. When I got home to las Vegas I realized this and we got in contact with the hotel. I know where I left it and I told them this; stephany (the woman who answered the phone) said they were looking for it and couldn't find it. I proceeded to tell her which bed I left it on and her response was "Im not calling you a liar, but all of our maid staff have worked here for years, they turn in expensive laptops and cameras all the time, they know they are supposed to report things they find"....excuse me, but you cannot fit a camera or laptop in you pocket. A bracelet you can. I am very offended that the woman insinuated that I was lying, why would I lie about a priceless heirloom which I know was laying on top the bed?

I really hope that they do something about this; I have worked in hotels in las vegas and arizona and i know that not all maids have integrity. I have seen maids keep small things which cannot be seen (earrings, bracelets, etc.). I wish I got more sympathy and understanding from the staff instead of being called a liar. Let's hope they produce the bracelet, otherwise i will be forced to go to a higher authority.

I thought that leaving a great tip for the house keeper was enough.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms on the third floor towards the back, unless you want to be offered prostitution...
1 Thank Eva Y
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Eva Y,
We are extremely disappointed to hear of the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. Please know that this is not indicative of the typical stay you should expect from our hotel. Our hotel is known to be one of the safest accommodations in the city and we do not allow any solicitors inside the property. We will look into other measures that we can implement to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your time in completing the review on our property and value your feedback.
Guest Relations Coordinator, Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Parkersburg, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The website paints a glowing picture of the hotel. "Luxurious" is NOT a word the website should claim.
Like anything, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
The hotel is in a bad area of the city, the room was large but quite dirty. In one night, the kids had their feet blackened from the carpeting. The bathroom was dirty.
There were no rollaways as promised on the website.
Cable TV channels had little more than broadcast channels.
All in all, pay more to stay in a well known hotel that has pride in ownership.

Northridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Good hotel for the money... hotel is in walking distance to the major attraction and major restaurants. Hotel had a working hottub and a decent complimentary breakfast. Hotel was a little noisey but the stay was still good for the price. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear Mary F,
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at our Buena Park Hotel. We are pleased to know that you found great value in our accommodations. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you by our other guests. We look forward to providing you with excellent service on your next visit to the Anaheim/Buena Park area!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

The hotel was nice, affordable and relatively clean. Your site promoted premium tv with premium channels. Since it was my 4yr olds first hotel stay, having something like the Disney channel available really sold us. Unfortunately when we arrived our tv didn't show more than static on any channel. We called to inform the front desk, someone came to take a look was gone within two minutes and said nothing. When I called an hour later he said he had informed the manager and nothing could be done since it was due to the rain. It was raining pretty hard that day, but the next two days of our stay, there wasn't a rain drop in sight. When i called back again, I was told the same thing. the manager had been informed. No one likes to stay in a hotel room with a four year old and nothing to watch. It really ruined my experience with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear mommycade07,

We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your feedback has been taken seriously and the appropriate members of our team have been informed. Thank you for your compliments on our great location, customer service, affordable rates and comfy beds. We do hope that you and your family will decide to stay with us again.

Guest Relations Manager
Moreno Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel was just average. The carpets felt like they had been cleaned but not dried all the way. Had to fiddle with the prongs to get the fridge and microwave to stay plugged in and turned on. Beds were comfy and the A/C worked. Other than that it was quiet, decent neighborhood, lots of shopping/food choices close by. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rearrange the tables so you have more space and if you plan on using the fridge make sure the plug i...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear SamandJC,
First and foremost, we would like to apologize for having your carpet feel a little wet. Please know we are on a constant quest to ensure a very clean and comfortable stay for our guests. Therefore, our hotel goes through multiple deep cleaning steps throughout the year. We will work on ensuring that this does not happen to any of our guests in the future. At the same time we are pleased to know that your stay with us was of comfort and satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again soon!
Thanking You,
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed in one of the two room suites which was a great deal for the type of room we wanted. Breakfast was a good kickstart for the day, obviously very continental and you shouldn't expect much more for the cost of the room. Spent the days away from the hotel, so the only comments are that the room was good enough to sleep in and wake up.

Room Tip: Take the two room if available, no neighbors!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear FortMacBob,
Thank you for choosing to stay with our Buena Park Hotel. We are pleased to know that your stay at our hotel was one of comfort and satisfaction. We pride ourselves in providing superior value for our guests at affordable prices. Look forward to serving you again on your future visit to the Anaheim/Buena Park area!
-Guest Relations Coordinator, Guest Relations Manager
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel is owned by a young couple who obviously take pride in their property. All staff were very friendly. It is a good value for the low rates they charge. It is clean and well maintained. The small continental breakfast is just enough - coffee, OJ, toast, danish & some fresh fruit options. My only complaint was that they really needed new towels. Overall this hotel is Perfectly Adequate.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Mike H,
Thank you for your wonderful remarks about our Buena Park Hotel. We are pleased to know that your stay with us was one of comfort and satisfaction. We will share your comments with our top management and consider any changes that may need to be made. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the Anaheim/Buena Park area.