“Best Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Buena Park
San Diego, California
“Best Hotel”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

One of the best hotels you ever stay in. The room is so big, and comfortable. The parking is so convenience, I park in front of my room. I got to the hotel really late at night, but the service so great, I got service right away. I recommended this hotel to anyone want a good night sleep, and great services.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear john_426,

We can't thank you enough for your excellent review on our Buena Park hotel! It's always rewarding for our entire staff to hear that our dedication to superior customer service is commended by our guests. It is always our pleasure to assist our guests in any way we can that will ensure your stay with us is enjoyable. Once again thank you for all the compliments, it means a lot to our staff. We hope to see you soon!

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 January 2011

OMG! Go to the Hampton Inn across the way! Stay anywhere but here!

The pics are extremely misleading. The beds were decent, clean sheets and and no noticeable stains...so that's the ONLY plus.
Granted, you get what you pay for but what I am about to share is beyond belief.

After a long evening at Disneyland we relaxed on the beds, checked our e-mail (free wi-fi, so that was a plus), and watched some t.v. . .beds were decent. . .so far so good.
Then, it was off to take a shower. . .wait for it! Duh-duh-duh. . .rust-stained bathtub, a white-crusty shower-head in need of a serious CLR soak, and dingy looking "white" towels. I called for cleaner towels and the receptionist (who sounded like I just woke her up, it was 2:30 AM) said they could bring us some in the morning, that she didn't have access. Whoa! Ok. . .now the clincher! While brushing my teeth I notice, in the corner of my eye, that the wall-mounted hair dryer was cover with long, thick, black hairs....DISGUSTING!!! So needless to say we skipped the shower, brushed our teeth and went to bed.

After a decent night's sleep, considering we didn't get to shower, I just wanted to wash my face, brush my teeth, and get the heck out of here! As I patted my face dry and pulled the towel away I noticed a glob of thick, long, black hair (just like the hair in/on the hair dryer). . . .SERIOUSLY?!?!

OMG!!!! This made me sick! I went to speak to the manager, who appeared shocked, but said that the guy who cleans that room is one of his best. I said that I am not trying to get anyone in trouble, but that I didn't feel that I should pay for such an unsanitary hotel room. He said that the best he could offer was a discount or possibly a free stay if I ever came back. . . .What? Seriously? No comp or discount now?

I was amazed and told the "manager" that I would tell everyone I know to stay clear of the Portola Inn & Suites (even if it were free) and that I would be online to share the truth about this place. . .which I did, I just got home 45 minutes ago.

Thank GOD for American Express. I used my amex card and filed a dispute against the charges for this horrible place. . .they were happy to credit me and have an open case on this disgusting "inn".

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I loved how the staff was welcoming and the rooms are cozy and comfortable. The hotel was close to theme parks, whether it was walking distance or driving distance. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 8 January 2011
Dear mali963ma,

Thank you so very much for your excellent review on our Buena Park hotel! Our entire staff appreciates your wonderful compliments on our high level of customer service. We are truly dedicated to deliver superior customer service at all times to ensure that your stay with us is memorable and enjoyable. We appreciate your recommendation and are thrilled that you'll be back!

Thank you.
Fresno, California
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Stayed overnight on December 18 after a visit to Knotts Berry Farm. This was our second stay. We paid $69 for a Saturday night in a room with 2 queen beds. It was a very good value for the price. The inn is located a mile down the street from Knotts and is close to a Sizzlers and Denny's. Room was updated and clean. The bathrooms are sparse and have not been updated yet but room included refrigerator and microwave. There is also a small table with two chairs. Continental breakfast was nice with coffee, packaged danishes, apples/oranges and bread for toasting. Also includes free wi-fi though a bit slow. Front desk clerk was very nice. All things considered this was a good value for the price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Dear pgirl1,

Thank you for your top marks on our Buena Park hotel! We appreciate the opportunity of being your choice in accommodations during your recent stay. It certainly is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience with us. We would all like to thank you for the wonderful compliments on our friendly and helpful staff, clean accommodations and, of course, our prime location! We will look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit.

Dharmesh Ahir, General Manager
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed here for two nights on a recent family trip to Disneyland because the price was reasonable and the reviews were good compared to other hotels/motels in this price range. Since we weren't planning to be in the room much and had a car, we weren't too worried about it being away from anything. There was a liquor store and a restaurant within walking distance, but that was about all we saw in the area.

The rooms were clean and they were a decent size, but the beds were uncomfortable and the HVAC unit didn't work well, so the room got too stuffy and uncomfortable. On our first night, we heard the owner's guests leaving and there was loud conversation outside the exit to their unit (attached to the lobby) in the parking lot area for about 30 minutes around 11pm. Since we were getting an early start, this contributed to a poor night's sleep. A car alarm also proceeded to go off for quite some time, and the walls are relatively thin so we heard it, as well as everyone who opened their doors to see what it was.

Staff was friendly upon check in & check out. A continental breakfast is available in the lobby, but not until 7am and we had to leave prior to that on both mornings, so I cannot comment on what was available.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Dear MMM2001,

Please know that we absolutely do care and are currently in the process of undergoing several improvements to our Buena Park hotel. We certainly appreciate all of your comments and suggestions, as we always take them very seriously and are eager to listen to what our guests have to say. We hope you will reconsider and decide to visit us again. We are working on making some changes that we know you will enjoy!

Regards,
Dharmesh Ahir, GM
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 November 2010

This place was ABSOLUTELY amazing! Checking in was so easy and the fellow behind the counter was incredibly nice and helpful! I cannot say enough about the service of this hotel. We had an amazing view that became more amazing as night fell. Also, we needed a cord to hook our computer to the tv screen - the staff went out and purchased one for us! I recommend this place to anyone looking for a hotel in CA.

Definetely among the best hotels I have stayed in. Among the pros : beautiful decor, perfectly clean, great food, great location, wonderful staff, friendly concierge, etc... . I can not think of anything negative to say abouth the Portola Inn and Suites. Congratulations to the manager and to all the management and staff.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 27 November 2010
Dear MKach88,
Thank you for such an excellent review on our Buena Park hotel! We are thrilled that you and you had such a great experience with us. We would all like to thank you for the wonderful compliments on our friendly and helpful staff, clean accommodations and, of course, our prime location! All of our guests enjoy the convenience of being so close to the attractions, as well as many restaurants and shops in our immediate area. We are happy that you found quality and value at affordable rates here at the Portola. Thank you for your recommendation to all of your friends and family. Come back and see us again soon!

Regards,
Kabir Bhagat | Guest Relations Manager
Orange, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2010

This is a very nice little motel, clean and was convenient for us, and is great value. We walked to Knott's Berry Farm, and the pirates and Medieval Times dinner shows, all only about 15-20 minutes walk, and Disneyland is about a $30 cab ride away. I would suggest hiring a car if coming from LA airport though, as we payed about $35 each, I think, for a shuttle to disneyland, and then another $30 cab ride from there.
The free wi-fi is also a great bonus. It did have some dropping out problems, but it is more than a lot of places offer, especially at this price.
I ended up leaving a bag behind in the cab on the way here and losing my passport, camera, holiday photos etc. and while trying to get it back I had a lot of help from several of the staff here, and they were all extremely helpful and friendly, and I did end up getting my stuff back in the end, so thanks to all your staff, and I definately recommend Portola for a great value budget motel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dear TJW97,
We agree with you 100%: Portola Inn is a very nice place to stay if you are planning a trip to the local attractions! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our property as much as we do! We can't thank you enough for all of your wonderful compliments on our friendly and helpful customer service. We truly have the best staff, including Dharmesh, that is at your service 24/7! It's always great to receive such positive feedback, as we are very proud of our what we have to offer. Thank you for completing the review and giving us your feedback. We're looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Buena Park area. Also, we are so happy to hear you had found your belongings.

Best,