“I'm suffocating!!!!”

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 235 Restaurants in Buena Park
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Los Angeles, California
“I'm suffocating!!!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The side things like mashed potatoes and corn tastes like they have been from the can and the mashed potatoes have no color! Or the gravy!!! And worst, no AC!!!! Even in the summer!!!! Once, I saw a woman's sweat glide on my forehead!!! Worst day ever. Please do something of this!!!! I don't want sweaty food!!!! Also, that's the reason why I go to the to go chicken, next door. Same food, but a little better

1 Thank Kaitlynlola

• Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
“Very Nice Dinner”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have not had this chicken dinner since I was a kid and loved it so I thought it would be good for my family to try and we were not disappointed! Chicken dinner meals were $18 per person and came with 4 pieces of chicken, mashed potatos, side, biscuits and dessert. Only problem we found was the meal was too big and my wife and teenage girls could not finish it all - smaller portions would be great. They do offer to pack it up for you, however we had no fridge or microwave in the room and were definitely not going to eat it that night after being so full.

Orange County, CA
“Just like visiting an old friend”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having grown up in Southern California I had many opportunities to enjoy Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. In the 60's & 70's as a child with my family, in the 80's with my wife, and in the 90's with our children. There is no better place to find comfort food.

Located near the entrance of Knott's Berry Farm, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant has been around for decades. You can safely say that without the restaurant there would be no Knott's Berry Farm. Over the years the menu has expanded a bit but let;s be real, when you go here you just have to have the famous chicken dinner. My wife and I went for lunch and still had the dinner. We got there at about 1:30 on a Saturday and there was no line but when we left around 2:30 a line had formed. Be aware that if you go at dinner time, especially on a weekend, there will be a line out the door and around the corner of the building.

The dinner (currently priced at $17.99) starts with chicken noodle soup and a small house salad. Instead of the soup you can also choose rhubarb. You also get a plate full of hot & fresh biscuits (wonderful). Then the dinner arrives. A full half of chicken, piping hot and fresh, with a large portion of mashed potatoes with homemade gravy. Assuming you are actually able to eat anything after this, dessert is also included. We got our slice of pie (Boysenberry & Peach) to go. The meal was wonderful.

One thing to note; if you want all white meat instead of a mix, the cost jumps to $22.99. However I'm blessed with a wife who is beautiful, desirable, a great friend, and most importantly ... loves dark meat whereas I'm a white meat person. So we just order normal and exchange pieces so she had all dark and I have all white.

Seriously, if you live in So-Cal or are just visiting, you have to come here. Great food, great service, reasonably priced, and overall a wonderful dining experience.

Hillsboro, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just excellent”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Huge size portions, can definitely share a meal. Everything tasted great - apple pie was our favorite!

Visited July 2014
Irvine, California
“Culinary "experts" stay away. Let us enjoy our chicken!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I first visited Mrs. Knott's when I was 17 years old. Thirty years later, I will say that sure, this place can be hit or miss. But for the most part it's always a hit. That being said, I like to keep my reviews real. I'm not a snob from that other site that begins with a "Y". Apparently we have some "experts" here. I'll share a "real" review without all the pretentious stuff. So here we go.

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant is an institution. It's been serving the same recipe complete chicken dinners since 1934. They do chicken dinners like nobody else. It's not gourmet. It's just good. And for $17.99, you get a starter, salad, main course AND dessert. Overpriced? Yeah, right.

In plain English, the biscuits are TO DIE FOR! The portion of chicken (half chicken) is more than enough for most people. It's perfectly fried, tender and juicy. The mashed potatoes are wonderful, as are the cherry rhubarb (my personal favorite) and a fresh, but simple side salad. You also choose between corn and cabbage for sides. Finally, you get to finish your meal with a delicious dessert. And if you don't order the Boysenberry Pie, there's something wrong with you. Boysenberries were invented at Knott's, and they represent the Berry in "Knott's Berry Farm".

This visit was our first time back in over five years. The food was excellent, and the service was great. We ordered the traditional chicken dinner, and the "light eaters" version. On a Sunday afternoon, we were immediately seated, and were finished in less than one hour. Just in time to begin our 7-hour drive home.

Yes, this restaurant is old. It's the original location, and dates back to 1937. But it's kept-up well. This place is all about tradition, and despite the fact that the Knott family sold their interests in the theme park and the rest of the company may years ago, the tradition and legacy of Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant is alive and well today.

I can't wait to return to Mrs. Knott's very soon. And I want to thank those who say they won't return. This means I won't have to wait long next time either. The rest of you don't know what you're missing.

2 Thank jvptravels