“Pros and cons”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
Waihi Beach, NZ
“Pros and cons”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Overall this property met my expectations. It is across the road from Knotts Berry Farm and they also provided a shuttle to Disney land for both days we went. Have an excellent pool area and a very good breakfast. Appreciated the welcome pack and the wine was very good. Our renovated room was ok. Still outdated but was tidy and comfortable. Overall the property just needs finishing off and a good spit and polish. The room was cleaned daily but the same grime was in the lift and stairwell for the three days there. But it was a great price for a place to sleep as we were theme parking for every day and half the night. You will have a laugh when dealing with Albert at the front desk.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I reserved a room for 3 nights at your hotel for August 7 through August 10, 2014. I called the night of August 7th to update my credit card number because I wanted to use a different credit card. It was not because I didn't have funds in the other card I initially booked the room under. I was told by the operator who was a male that I needed to go online and change the reservation credit card because I had made it online. When I did this I noticed my reservation was cancelled. I do not know why I was not told of this when I called the first time. When I called back to ask why, the operator who sounded like he was too busy to take his time to talk to me, simply said he would take my new credit information. He then told me that the other card had been declined and that is why it had been cancelled. I don't know why it was declined because I had funds on this card. I called the next morning to make sure all was okay because the operator the night before had given me an uneasy feeling. This time the male I spoke said my reservation had been cancelled and I only had 2 nights at the hotel, instead of 2. How the heck was the room cancelled from the night before to the next morning?? Why wasn't I told about this at either time I called on the phone? I was not called or emailed on this at all to inform me. So if I had shown up to California I wouldn't have even had a room. The guy said he would work it out with you, the manager, when you got in and fix it and get me another night as I originally booked. What I didn't understand is how you charge the night before for the room for just 1 night and my credit card was declined and then the new one wasn't even charged? Both cards had the funds by the way.
So at 3pm on the day I am on my way to California I am told that now I don't have 2 nights, I only have 1. They also added that the General Manager wasn't in that day after all because he had worked all day the day before ??? Luckily, I was able to obtain a room elsewhere but this was just poor customer service.
I have worked for Hilton hotels for 15 years and I know that I can't expect you to be at that standard but several things would have been key to resolve this issue.
The most interesting part of this was when I showed up at the hotel, the one night had been already charged or authorized on guess which card?? The original card you had declined me on. How the heck did that happen if I didn't have the funds? And if this was correct then why was my reservation cancelled. The gentlemen proceeded to tell me the hotel had called me several times. We checked the number and email on file and both were correct. I never, ever received a phone call from anyone at the hotel except that day when the front desk person called to tell me I only had 1 room. And if you had called why didn't someone tell me about this when I called on Wednesday night???
On top of things you authorized a $50 for a remodeled room???? One of the beds sheets had hair all over on a pillowcase and duvet. The door to the bathroom was loose and falling off. It was definetly false advertising that this room was remodeled and on top to charge this deposit.
. The worst part of everything was your incompetent staff. At no time was anyone able to give me any explanations on what had happened. Or ask how else they could help or even apologize. They just looked at me with a deer in headlights look. I suggest if you aren't going to be at the hotel, you put someone in charge that will be able to handle guess issues with authority and respect.
I emailed the General Manager and have yet to hear from him.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere don't be fooled by proximity to Knotts Berry not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisabel E
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

You get good quality compared to the costs. Very good breakfast. The room was clean, daily maid service. Nice and helpful staff. Also great to have access to refrigerator and a coffee-machine. Minus for bad waterpressure and for slow/partially not functionin Wi-Fi.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2014

After spending a somewhat disappointing (and overpriced) evening at the place across the street, my expectations (at over $100 less) where not too great.
My first surprise was the excellent assistance provided by Tiffany who managed to switch my party to another room when we discovered that the original room could only be accessed by stairs (and my wife is disabled, which I had mentioned while booking the room). This, despite there being not other rooms available. (I guess being a pleasantly disappointed guest rather than an upset one didn't hurt).
Then, when I got to the room I found it to be significantly nicer and with more amenities than expected. Later I even noted that the climate control unit was quieter as well!
After a good night's sleep, we chose to skip the breakfast (our choice, though it looked fine) and went to the check out. The management possibly might want to consider adding a second clerk at the desk, but Albert did a fine job juggling his customers pleasantly and efficiently, even the pushy (being a jerk because his credit card had been denied...NOT the desk clerks fault).
All in all, a good experience.

Room Tip: Book early, be pleasent
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Seriously, this Inn it's even better than the reviews could say. I stayed there with my girlfriend for 2 days when we're visiting L.A.
First the location is very nice, near from good restaurants and general stores (besides the theme parks).
The rooms are super clean, spacious, great beds and shower, also the TV does the job.
The breakfast couldn't be better, seriously, waffles, syrup and some fruits in the morning and you're ready to go. The staff was great with us, very kind and helpful.
Wi fi works great, we won a basket with some chips and drinks.
After all the price looks VERY cheap, because honestly, this is the best inn that i've ever stayed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked this place based on the positive Trip Advisor reviews. We were in the lowest level room so we really didn't expect much. Bathroom had black, moldy tile and was very cramped. Room felt very dingy. The welcome basket was a nice thought but the hotel should use the money spent for renovations instead. Location is great if you are visiting Knott's Berry Farm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lvportia
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I booked the room through an internet travel site. I admit I checked out the reviews before committing to the reservation. The reviews were pretty mixed, so I went ahead and booked the family suite. We arrived at around 8pm on a Friday night, and were checked in by Albert. Great customer service, gave me all the information we needed, etc. We went to the room and the key didn't work (no big deal). Albert quickly rectified the issue, and told me to take a business card with the number on it, so if it happened again, they would come to the room. The key worked upon my return to the room. I was traveling with my wife and three teenage daughters. The room was exactly what we needed. Two double beds and a set of bunk beds. GREAT!! I appears as if the carpet was brand new, no issues with the room at all. It lived up to our expectations, completely. We were there for Knott's Berry Farm on Saturday, then Universal Studios on Sunday. The location for Knott's Berry Farm was perfect. We were able to walk to the park, and save the parking fee at Knott's. There was a complimentary breakfast that was offered, there was a selection standard breakfast foods, I opted for cereal, as the seating area was limited. That's the only real issue, but it was a Saturday, so what else would you expect. There was a nice basket on the table upon entering the room. There was also a personalized letter from the staff. A real nice touch!! Like I already said, the room fitted our needs, as we were out and about most of the time. If your looking for a good place to stay, give them a try. The only downside...the internet was a bit slow, but certainly didn't ruin the weekend. I had the pleasure of dealing with Albert each time I went to the front desk...I don't know if he ever leaves!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family