“Understated, renovated, comfortable hotel - good value and location”

Coast Anabelle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, California, United States
“Understated, renovated, comfortable hotel - good value and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Coast Anabelle is one of my company's approved hotels, along with a couple of the larger name chains in the Burbank/Glendale/Universal City region. Having had a good experience with Coast over a decade ago in British Columbia, I decided to leave my usual large hotel up by Citywalk and try the Anabelle. It was less expensive and easier to get to/from my office. So what did I have to lose?

I didn't lose anything. It was a great experience, even though my first two stays were just one night. My third was a full week in a suite room and again I was satsified.

The Coast is a boutique-size hotel, probably 40 rooms on 3 floors around a central room with chairs and reception desk. There's a popular bar and nice quiet restaurant off the lobby, a couple of conference rooms, a small but sufficient parking lot, and easy escapes to wherever work may take you (Disney/ABC and WB are about half a mile away, I think, for example).

The rooms have been renovated, with LED lighting (some incandescent lamps are available as well), very fancy showers with a rainshower head as well as the conventional spray head, coffeemaker, refrigerator, and microwave (all 3 of my rooms there have had these so I believe they're pervasive). The pillows aren't impressive, but out of nearly a dozen hotels I've stayed in over the past two years, they're the only ones I haven't gotten headaches from. And the blackout curtains on the windows are very effective.

The staff is friendly, and I've never seen the front desk unattended. The cost is very reasonable, probably 25% less than other hotels that may not have such spacious and modern renovations. The complimentary wireless Internet service is pretty fast and easy as well.

There is no pool or workout room at the Anabelle itself, but their sister property Safari Inn across the street offers these, and your room key will get you in to those amenities. It's an outdoor pool, the sort I remember from motels in Florida in the 70s, with a deck over the entryway.

The bar and restaurant are well-received. Nothing you'd fly in just to visit, but Dennis in the bar is a Burbank fixture, and Luke in the restaurant is friendly and attentive. I'm sure everyone else who works there is also great, I just don't know them by name yet. They do really like gravy though. And that's not code.

If you're looking for sweeping views of the media capital of the west coast, this is probably not the hotel for you. If you're looking for a good value, comfortable room, easy access to all the LA area has to offer, attentive staff, and a good night's sleep, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The rooms are generally quiet; my last room was a corner suite facing Olive and except for two emerg...
Green Features: The shower amenities are not individually packaged, but rather served in 10oz pump bottles on the shower wall. They offer the usual water conservation options--towels on the floor get replaced, towels up get left for another use, linens every three days. Reasonable and respectable.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your comments! We truly appreciate the detailed feedback as it helps us to become better at what we do. Our renovated rooms have been a huge hit with guests and we are thrilled to hear such positive remarks. Our goal is the satisfaction of each and every guest who stays with us and we're certainly happy to hear that we achieved this with you. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Coast Anabelle Hotel is a great place to stay. We stayed here during our trip to Burbank to see the Ellen show. We stayed in a room that was handicap accessible as I walk with a walker. I was shocked when I entered the washroom to discover that in the shower there was a fold down bench which is awesome for someone like myself who has a walking disability. I have never stayed in a room that has ever had this. The room had a king size bed which was so comfortable and the pillows were great as well. We ate breakfast in the restaurant every morning. The staff were just GREAT!!! I can't say enough great things about ALL of the staff in this hotel. Everyone is so accommodating and makes you feel so welcome. The hotel is also very close to everything such as the studios and shopping centers. I highly recommend it and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind remarks! We recently begun renovating our guest rooms and are pleased to hear you enjoyed the changes we've made. It is always gratifying to hear comments from guests about their positive experience. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

The staff at check-in was very friendly and extremely quick. Our room, on the 2nd floor, had two queen beds with clean linens and duvets. Our experience with other hotels was that we would require extra pillows for the four adults in the room, so we asked for extra towels and pillows at check-in. Housekeeping nearly beat us to the room with the extras requested, and then we found that there were PLENTY of pillows already in the room.
The large bathroom had been renovated with an acre of granite countertop, a huge shower with two shower heads with their own handles, and large, full bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash attached to the shower wall.
We used the room safe and free wi-fi. BUT, the small refrigerator was warm. Even turned to the coolest setting, it stayed pretty warm the three days we were there, and was useless.
We had one night of room service from the hotel's restaurant, the Olive Bistro, which was hideously expensive, but handy and delicious.
My only complaint is that the doors slammed themselves closed - which we heard throughout the night, and we could hear some of the footsteps from the room above.
Also, the second night we were there, our key card didn't work, and when my husband went to the front desk to get another card, there was no one at the desk. He spent about 5 minutes
trying to find some help, and he eventually found the desk clerk (we believe) outside, smoking.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor if you don't want to hear foot noise above you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We apologize for the issues you encountered and will certainly be looking in to them to ensure they are rectified immediately. Our goal is to make certain every guest is satisfied with all aspects of their stay from the cleanliness and comfort of their room to the superior service provided by our staff. Thank you once more for your feedback. We truly appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed during a trip to LA to see the Ellen show. It was a short 1.5 mile drive to the studio. We rented a suite which consisted of a full kitchen, a pull out sofa and a king bed. Would have preferred a separate bedroom but couldn't find such accommodations in the area. The restaurant and bar were great, with staff getting to treat us like regulars after only one day. The bar is small with local guests. The bartender did of good job of making me feel welcome. A famous rock band was even staying at the hotel while we were there. If I'm ever in the LA/Burbank area I will return here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We're absolutely delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel while visiting the Ellen Show. Our staff is one of the most important part of our hotel and we appreciate hearing such wonderful comments about their service. As always, the happiness of each guest is a priority. Thank you once more for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Coast hotels are comfy hotel boutiques. Burbank is a pretty busy place but this hotel is like a comfy getaway from business and gives you the feeling that you are enjoying an entertainment capitol in quiet style. I too would recommend a backside room to avoid the Olive Avenue. It is close to all the studios and rental houses, and to a lot of great Burnank neighborhood restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks. It's truly gratifying to hear a guest comment on how much they enjoyed their stay, Our goal is to ensure every guest that stays with us is completely satisfied from the moment they check in until their departure. We truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

While spending 4 days here at the beginning of August I enjoyed my room and the location, however the internet left MUCH to be desired. It worked for about 5 minutes per day in my room and after calling to the front desk about it 3 times I finally spoke to the manager at the front before I walked down to Starbucks to use their mediocre internet.

While talking with him I pulled out my computer at the front desk and low and behold the internet worked there. The manager then asked me if I had tried using the internet in my room with the door open. In my opinion that is a very ignorant question. Why would I have any desire to leave my hotel door open while I'm in my room just to use the internet? The internet never got better during my stay, however

I have been told that they just revamped the entire system and upgraded their line into the building.

We will see what the next stay holds for us in that department.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for your comments. We would first like to apologize for the issues you encountered with our internet service. We are currently in the process of upgrading our system to improve speed and connectivity for our guests. Our hope is that on your future stay, the internet will be up to your standards. Thank you once more for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Burbank
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Had an absolutely hassle free experience with Coast Annabelle. The rooms were neat, clean and had the essentials for a short stay traveller. For those driving around I would recommend this place. Its not very far from Universal Studios and Hollywood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is extremely gratifying to hear such kind remarks from a guest regarding their stay. We strive to be the best at all that we do and are happy to hear you were satisfied with your overall stay. Thank you once more for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Safari Inn
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
The Garland
#10 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,886 reviews

Been to Coast Anabelle Hotel? Share your experiences!