“Nice hotel, awful customer service”

Coast Anabelle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice hotel, awful customer service”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

There's a more detailed review of my issues with this hotel on Yelp. I'm too tired to type it all again. Bottom line is -- this is nice hotel. Nice rooms, good food, nice bathrooms. But the staff is awful. I had major issues with the hotel's advertised high speed internet throughout my stay and the staff could not have cared less. They made it clear they were annoyed by calls re: the issue, and refused to even consider switching my room to resolve the problem - something the wireless provider recommended. No one EVER apologized or offered to try and help or make up for it. It was an attitude of "Oh, well…"

Upon checkout, no one even asked me how my stay was. And no one said thank you for staying with them.

There are plenty of other hotels in the area with exceptional customer service and they will be getting my business from now on.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

1 Thank FizzTravel
CoastAnabelleHotel, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your comments. We would first like to apologize for the issues you encountered with the internet as well as the customer service. We contacted our internet provider and had the issues rectified as we want to ensure that guest's are able to properly use the internet services we offer. In regards to the customer service, we have spoken with our Front Desk to make certain they are able to appropriately handle situations such as this. Again, we truly apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will provide us with an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Burbank, California
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Short 2 night stay. Very pleasant. Nice clean room. Good parking. A little oasis from the hustle and bustle. Nice atmosphere inside the hotel. It is an atrium so you can look down at the lobby from all floors. Not closed in by just hallways. Close to downtown Burbank that has lots of shops and a mall and movie theaters and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
SafariInn818, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2015
Thank you for your feedback. We are truly delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future! Our goal is to satisfy our guests needs from the quality of their accommodations to the level of customer service. We greatly appreciate your comments.
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Coast Annabel offers travelers with an outstanding travel experience, a smaller hotel with clean, comfortable rooms (and excellent suites!); amenities that are appropriate but not overdone; excellent food, room service - but most of all - a wonderful staff who really makes you feel that you are at home with them. They 'go the extra mile' for their guests and this truly facilitates the guest experience! It is one of my company's approved hotels in this area and despite the availability of larger chains in proximal areas - the Coast Annabelle is my favorite hands down!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 30 December 2013

On my continued search for a hotel in Burbank that's clean and quiet, I made a reservation at Coast Anabelle. It will be my last.

First the good points: the rooms are clean, the bed comfortable, and the the staff friendly and helpful, especially the room service waiter. A coffee machine in the room with Starbucks coffee was a nice touch. What more could you ask for? Well, quite a bit it turns out.

First, the rooms have very dated decor and the bathroom looks like it was made from items salvaged from a Marriott remodel. Seriously, the sink and fixtures appeared to be from the 1980s and came complete with a cigarette burn (in a non-smoking room?) The carpets were dirty and faded. The cheap beige shower curtain didn't reach the bottom of the small shower stall, which also had mildew. Note that the room was bowling alley large, so the tiny shower was surprising.

Then the details: the trash bin wasn't emptied, there's no bottled water in the room, and the room service menu was missing basic things like orange juice and milk options. I ended up writing up my own order, which room service delivered, but why not update the menu?

All of these things might be forgiven if it weren't for the worst thing about this hotel:

The rooms are oriented around an open central foyer, and in the corner of which is a small bar. The barman apparently likes to entertain late into the night because every night I was there I was kept awake by loud conversation and drunken laughter (you know the sort that knows no volume limits). When I asked the room service waiter he diplomatically said "Oh, he's, how can I say it? Quite a character".

So, if you like bars and want to be entertained in one, stay at Coast Anabelle. At least after a few drinks you'll not care so much about the room quality.

Coast Anabelle can do better, and so can you dear traveler.

Room Tip: A room at another hotel or ear plugs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank n1gels
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We would first like to apologize for the issues you encountered with your stay. We are currently in the process of completely renovating our rooms to provide a more modern and updated look. In regards to the menu, we will certainly look into it and make the necessary changes as well as discuss your concern regarding the bar noise. Thank you once more for your comments. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Exceptional Hotel & Staff! Staff was always polite and professional from the moment we called the hotel all the way through checking out. This type of service starts at the top; therefore, I give credit to the hotel manager for all of the accommodations. When my boyfriend and I stayed, we booked the Disney package which elevated the excitement of our trip! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Burbank area. Even when we ordered breakfast, we were surprised at the high quality, selection, and quantity we received. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend Coast Anabelle Hotel to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks! We take great pride in our hotel, this includes providing exceptional service and the comforts of home. All of our guests are treated like VIP's from the moment they check-in to their departure. Thank you very much for providing detailed feedback as it helps us become better at what we do. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Coast Anabelle is one of my company's approved hotels, along with a couple of the larger name chains in the Burbank/Glendale/Universal City region. Having had a good experience with Coast over a decade ago in British Columbia, I decided to leave my usual large hotel up by Citywalk and try the Anabelle. It was less expensive and easier to get to/from my office. So what did I have to lose?

I didn't lose anything. It was a great experience, even though my first two stays were just one night. My third was a full week in a suite room and again I was satsified.

The Coast is a boutique-size hotel, probably 40 rooms on 3 floors around a central room with chairs and reception desk. There's a popular bar and nice quiet restaurant off the lobby, a couple of conference rooms, a small but sufficient parking lot, and easy escapes to wherever work may take you (Disney/ABC and WB are about half a mile away, I think, for example).

The rooms have been renovated, with LED lighting (some incandescent lamps are available as well), very fancy showers with a rainshower head as well as the conventional spray head, coffeemaker, refrigerator, and microwave (all 3 of my rooms there have had these so I believe they're pervasive). The pillows aren't impressive, but out of nearly a dozen hotels I've stayed in over the past two years, they're the only ones I haven't gotten headaches from. And the blackout curtains on the windows are very effective.

The staff is friendly, and I've never seen the front desk unattended. The cost is very reasonable, probably 25% less than other hotels that may not have such spacious and modern renovations. The complimentary wireless Internet service is pretty fast and easy as well.

There is no pool or workout room at the Anabelle itself, but their sister property Safari Inn across the street offers these, and your room key will get you in to those amenities. It's an outdoor pool, the sort I remember from motels in Florida in the 70s, with a deck over the entryway.

The bar and restaurant are well-received. Nothing you'd fly in just to visit, but Dennis in the bar is a Burbank fixture, and Luke in the restaurant is friendly and attentive. I'm sure everyone else who works there is also great, I just don't know them by name yet. They do really like gravy though. And that's not code.

If you're looking for sweeping views of the media capital of the west coast, this is probably not the hotel for you. If you're looking for a good value, comfortable room, easy access to all the LA area has to offer, attentive staff, and a good night's sleep, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The rooms are generally quiet; my last room was a corner suite facing Olive and except for two emerg...
Green Features: The shower amenities are not individually packaged, but rather served in 10oz pump bottles on the shower wall. They offer the usual water conservation options--towels on the floor get replaced, towels up get left for another use, linens every three days. Reasonable and respectable.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CoastAnabelle, Front Office Manager at Coast Anabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your comments! We truly appreciate the detailed feedback as it helps us to become better at what we do. Our renovated rooms have been a huge hit with guests and we are thrilled to hear such positive remarks. Our goal is the satisfaction of each and every guest who stays with us and we're certainly happy to hear that we achieved this with you. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Coast Anabelle Hotel is a great place to stay. We stayed here during our trip to Burbank to see the Ellen show. We stayed in a room that was handicap accessible as I walk with a walker. I was shocked when I entered the washroom to discover that in the shower there was a fold down bench which is awesome for someone like myself who has a walking disability. I have never stayed in a room that has ever had this. The room had a king size bed which was so comfortable and the pillows were great as well. We ate breakfast in the restaurant every morning. The staff were just GREAT!!! I can't say enough great things about ALL of the staff in this hotel. Everyone is so accommodating and makes you feel so welcome. The hotel is also very close to everything such as the studios and shopping centers. I highly recommend it and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind remarks! We recently begun renovating our guest rooms and are pleased to hear you enjoyed the changes we've made. It is always gratifying to hear comments from guests about their positive experience. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Safari Inn
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
The Garland
#12 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,910 reviews

Been to Coast Anabelle Hotel? Share your experiences!