“Nice hotel, great staff - Noise a problem!!”

Coast Anabelle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
GreenLeadersBronze level
woodbridge, va
“Nice hotel, great staff - Noise a problem!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2006

My family and I stayed here during spring break to be close to Universal Studios. The location was very convenient to Universal and the drive to Hollywood Boulevard and a few other attractions we wanted to see were very easy.

The Anabelle Hotel is very very nice as far as the accomodations are concerned. No complaints about the room, beds or bathroom. We were very comfortable and the complimentary robes were a very nice touch. Our pillows were very nice and fluffy.

We moved our reservation up a day because of a change in plans and while they didn't have any non-smoking rooms available, we were given a smoking room for the night. They transferred our belongings to the new room while we were at Universal Studios which was very nice. The smoking room was located on the side of the main road and you can definitely hear the outside traffic. Also, with the open atrium the locals and guests that frequented the bar area could be hear while we were in our room with the tv on. We were so tired after a days worth of activity that we were able to sleep through the noise from the bar area even after we turned off the tv. The non-smoking room was located next to a parking lot of another establishment. With the thin windows of the hotel we were awoken the next by the early trash truck.

All of the staff we encountered were very courteous. The front desk even offered to print our boarding tickets since the hotel doesn't have a computer set up for guests.

While the area was very convenient, I would be a little hesitant to stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank amjohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2006

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights with my mother. I usually hate sleeping in any bed that is not my own but this one was great - extremely clean, terrific mattress, large pillows. I was pleasantly surprised. Bathroom was no frills but very clean and adequate. The room did not have that "hotel smell" which usually lingers on your clothes and your suitcase. The lobby was nice, staff was very accommodating and there was a free airport shuttle (Burbank Airport). Also, McDonald's, Von's, Seven Eleven were all within walking distance. Also a bus that runs near the hotel.

Again, this was a very very positive experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If I return to the Burbank area I would definitely stay there again -there would be no need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2006

The hotel looks nice, both on the outside and the inside. The rooms look nice, too, and are clean and nicely decorated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant was nice, the food was good.

But there were some unfortunate details which made the stay at the hotel less than pleasant. All the rooms are located around an open atrium - basically all rooms face each other! Any noise in the corridors or even in the reception area (which includes a bar area) can be heard throughout the hotel. It all looked quite pleasant, but whoever designed this clearly didn't have quietness and sleep in mind.

The bathroom also had design flaws. At least in ours the toilet paper holder was attached to the front of the sink. There was also not nearly enough counter space. The bathroom wasn't actually too small, it just seemed badly designed.

The beds were ok, but the pillows were small and hard, very uncomfortable. (Is this a new trend in hotel bedding? I have found more and more hotels to have small, uncomfortable pillows recently.)

We also had problems with the phone and non-working lamps which never got fixed.

• Stayed July 2004
2 Thank gw0143
Larkspur, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2006

My daughter and I stayed for two nights this past week at the Coast Anabelle, based on reviews from TripAdvisor. We were fairly disappointed. Yes, the room was spacious and well-furnished and the restaurant was decent, but the NOISE from the hallways and the street was awful! I do not recommend a stay at this hotel if you are a sensitive sleeper.

The rooms had nice furnishings and were very clean. There was no tub in the bathroom, which surprised me, there was just a shower stall. We liked having a refrigerator in the room, and it was very quiet. The beds were rather firm, but had nice linens and pillows.

My daughter loved the Wi-Fi for her laptop. I liked the restaurant, with it's coziness, decent prices, and nice waitress. The bacon was burned to a crisp, however (but she offered me a fresh serving) and there is not much on the menu for vegetarians (like my daughter), but the hours for the restaurant (and 24 hour room service)are wonderful for travelers.

The location, in a mixed residential/commercial area is very convenient, especially for those going to the NBC Studio Tours. We were able to negotiate Burbank quite successfully day and night. There is a park nearby, and plenty of stores. However, Olive Avenue is very busy and noisy, despite the clerk's assurance that it would be much quieter at night. It was NOT! Sirens, trucks, etc. at all hours. We also could clearly hear the neighbors in the next room, who were watching a horror movie. The sound came right through the connecting door! We could also hear alot of noise in the hallway, with doors banging shut. I used heavy-duty earplugs and that didn't help much to drown out all the noise. The entrance to the hotel is also very confusing to out-of-towners. The address is on Olive Street, but the parking entrance is on Lamar Avenue! I had to drive around a few times to figure that out.

The front desk personnel was not very perky or gracious. They didn't explain much of anything at check-in, did not ask how our stay was upon check-out...service behavior far below what I would have expected for a "boutique" hotel. We also felt misled by the advertisement of an "outdoor pool and sundeck," "fitness center," and "guest laundry facilities." They are actually nowhere on site! You have to cross the street and go to the neighboring hotel, the Safari to access those facilities.

All in all, we did not have a thoroughly miserable time at the Anabelle, but we also felt that we could have had a much better time had they soundproofed the rooms a little better and paid more personal attention to their guests.

8 Thank MidwestGal60
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2006

The Coast Anabelle is a nice smaller hotel located centrally to the Burbank area. We stayed one night and would definitely consider this hotel again. The room was ready for an early check-in and the hotel provided a crib free of charge as we had prearranged. The lobby was comfortable, not large, but light and setup with a few nice club chairs and an adjacent bar area. The staff was really helpful. Our room was nice but not luxurious; it had a comfortable bed with a white down comforter, a couple of upholstered chairs and a table by the large windows, and a desk area. The bathroom was pretty utilitarian. It didn't have a tub, only a basic fiberglass shower. If you're a light sleeper be sure to request a room away from the busy Olive Avenue. I slept fine as typical traffic noise isn't a problem for me. We didn't take advantage of the restaurant, pool, or workout facilities (located at the hotel next door) but appreciated the free wireless internet, morning newspaper, and lack of add-on fees.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank Watergate
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2006

After spending a pleasant week at the Coast Annabelle, I was extremely insulted to return home and find a letter from the hotel saying they were charging me a "room cleaning charge" for smoking in a non-smoking room. When I informed them that they must have mixed up my room with someone else's, they refused to acknowledge their mistake.

I have never smoked a day in my life and I am extremely sensitive to smoke so I couldn't have lasted five minutes in a room if someone had actually been smoking. Therefore, the only explanation is that they are incompetent, dishonest or they stiff everyone for extra "charges" when they think they can get away with it.

If this happens to you, complain to the Coast Hotels and Resorts head office and the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau. Once they have your credit card, they can get away with scams like this, so be aware.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2005

Just returned from a one night stay at the Anabelle. Nice big room. Good price (120 + tax) and staff was very helpful. I had a ride from the airport but for my return to Burbank/Hope Airport, Anabelle arranged (and paid for) Super Shuttle. A quick 15 minute ride. The front desk also went online and printed out a pre-boarding pass. Although appeared to be a safe area, not much around the hotel. However, hotel has a good restaurant and I did notice a busy chinese restaurant across the street at lunch time (Wok to Go). There is also a grocery store a couple of blocks away. It would be a long walk to NBC studios but they have a shuttle. Will return to this hotel in the future.

Stayed October 2005
2 Thank cbuck8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Safari Inn
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
The Garland
#10 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,886 reviews

Been to Coast Anabelle Hotel? Share your experiences!