“Nice Hotel, Very Poor Air Conditioning”

Coast Anabelle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2006

I originally booked a 3 night stay at the Safari Inn, the sister property to the Coast Anabelle Hotel. When we arrived at the Safari, we were advised that they had overbooked and we needed to check in across the street at the Anabelle. I was more than pleased to do so, as the Safari has the appearance of a motel rather than a hotel. It was not at all what I was expecting, but that is another review.

The lobby of the Anabelle is large and inviting. There is a restaurant located just off the lobby called Olive's. We ate there once and the food was reasonably priced and good. The hotel has just one elevator and it is slow. Our mini suite was on the third floor and it took about two minutes to make the trip up, inclusive of the wait for the elevator car.

Our mini suite was beautiful. It was a large room, with a king sized bed, full sized sofa, chair, TV, wet bar- minifridge area, and a nicely appointed bathroom. The bed was dressed in a wonderful down comforter, triple-sheeted, with huge, soft pillows. There was a nice upholstered bench at the foot of the bed as well. Each night, staff knocked on the door to see if there was anything we needed.

The only problem was the air conditioning. We arrived during a heatwave. We turned the thermostat to the highest fan setting, and placed it on cool. The result was warm air trickling out of the vents. We called the desk and we were told it would be repaired by the time we returned from our day trip. When we returned, only a slight cooling was noticed, so I approached maintenance and was told it would be reported. I then called the desk and was told nothing could be done as they have a central air conditioning system, and they were up to capacity, therefore, cooling could not be increased. Luckily, the windows opened and we were able to get some relief; however, we faced the street and heard traffic all night.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank debraacook

Arizona
Reviewed 13 May 2006

We were in the Burbank area for the Ellen show. We did not rent a car, had no idea what to do in the area and the front desk help assisted us in every way imaginable. They called a taxi for us when we needed one, they recommended things to do in the area, they called to make sure the Star Tour bus was not forgetting us. They were kind and considerate and always available. The restaurant in the hotel was also delicious. I could not have asked for a more perfect visit. It was wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver
Reviewed 25 April 2006

This hotel was very nice looking, but in a horrible location - not really close to anything worth seeing. The staff were very nice, but disorganized and could not seem to get the details of our meeting correct.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 April 2006

My family and I stayed here during spring break to be close to Universal Studios. The location was very convenient to Universal and the drive to Hollywood Boulevard and a few other attractions we wanted to see were very easy.

The Anabelle Hotel is very very nice as far as the accomodations are concerned. No complaints about the room, beds or bathroom. We were very comfortable and the complimentary robes were a very nice touch. Our pillows were very nice and fluffy.

We moved our reservation up a day because of a change in plans and while they didn't have any non-smoking rooms available, we were given a smoking room for the night. They transferred our belongings to the new room while we were at Universal Studios which was very nice. The smoking room was located on the side of the main road and you can definitely hear the outside traffic. Also, with the open atrium the locals and guests that frequented the bar area could be hear while we were in our room with the tv on. We were so tired after a days worth of activity that we were able to sleep through the noise from the bar area even after we turned off the tv. The non-smoking room was located next to a parking lot of another establishment. With the thin windows of the hotel we were awoken the next by the early trash truck.

All of the staff we encountered were very courteous. The front desk even offered to print our boarding tickets since the hotel doesn't have a computer set up for guests.

While the area was very convenient, I would be a little hesitant to stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank amjohn
New York
Reviewed 17 March 2006

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights with my mother. I usually hate sleeping in any bed that is not my own but this one was great - extremely clean, terrific mattress, large pillows. I was pleasantly surprised. Bathroom was no frills but very clean and adequate. The room did not have that "hotel smell" which usually lingers on your clothes and your suitcase. The lobby was nice, staff was very accommodating and there was a free airport shuttle (Burbank Airport). Also, McDonald's, Von's, Seven Eleven were all within walking distance. Also a bus that runs near the hotel.

Again, this was a very very positive experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If I return to the Burbank area I would definitely stay there again -there would be no need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2006

The hotel looks nice, both on the outside and the inside. The rooms look nice, too, and are clean and nicely decorated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant was nice, the food was good.

But there were some unfortunate details which made the stay at the hotel less than pleasant. All the rooms are located around an open atrium - basically all rooms face each other! Any noise in the corridors or even in the reception area (which includes a bar area) can be heard throughout the hotel. It all looked quite pleasant, but whoever designed this clearly didn't have quietness and sleep in mind.

The bathroom also had design flaws. At least in ours the toilet paper holder was attached to the front of the sink. There was also not nearly enough counter space. The bathroom wasn't actually too small, it just seemed badly designed.

The beds were ok, but the pillows were small and hard, very uncomfortable. (Is this a new trend in hotel bedding? I have found more and more hotels to have small, uncomfortable pillows recently.)

We also had problems with the phone and non-working lamps which never got fixed.

• Stayed: July 2004
2  Thank gw0143
Reviewed 21 January 2006

My daughter and I stayed for two nights this past week at the Coast Anabelle, based on reviews from TripAdvisor. We were fairly disappointed. Yes, the room was spacious and well-furnished and the restaurant was decent, but the NOISE from the hallways and the street was awful! I do not recommend a stay at this hotel if you are a sensitive sleeper.

The rooms had nice furnishings and were very clean. There was no tub in the bathroom, which surprised me, there was just a shower stall. We liked having a refrigerator in the room, and it was very quiet. The beds were rather firm, but had nice linens and pillows.

My daughter loved the Wi-Fi for her laptop. I liked the restaurant, with it's coziness, decent prices, and nice waitress. The bacon was burned to a crisp, however (but she offered me a fresh serving) and there is not much on the menu for vegetarians (like my daughter), but the hours for the restaurant (and 24 hour room service)are wonderful for travelers.

The location, in a mixed residential/commercial area is very convenient, especially for those going to the NBC Studio Tours. We were able to negotiate Burbank quite successfully day and night. There is a park nearby, and plenty of stores. However, Olive Avenue is very busy and noisy, despite the clerk's assurance that it would be much quieter at night. It was NOT! Sirens, trucks, etc. at all hours. We also could clearly hear the neighbors in the next room, who were watching a horror movie. The sound came right through the connecting door! We could also hear alot of noise in the hallway, with doors banging shut. I used heavy-duty earplugs and that didn't help much to drown out all the noise. The entrance to the hotel is also very confusing to out-of-towners. The address is on Olive Street, but the parking entrance is on Lamar Avenue! I had to drive around a few times to figure that out.

The front desk personnel was not very perky or gracious. They didn't explain much of anything at check-in, did not ask how our stay was upon check-out...service behavior far below what I would have expected for a "boutique" hotel. We also felt misled by the advertisement of an "outdoor pool and sundeck," "fitness center," and "guest laundry facilities." They are actually nowhere on site! You have to cross the street and go to the neighboring hotel, the Safari to access those facilities.

All in all, we did not have a thoroughly miserable time at the Anabelle, but we also felt that we could have had a much better time had they soundproofed the rooms a little better and paid more personal attention to their guests.

8  Thank MidwestGal60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Safari Inn
#3 of 20 in Burbank
Central L.A
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Hotel Amarano Burbank
#7 of 20 in Burbank
The Garland
#15 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Coast Anabelle Hotel? Share your experiences!