“Ice cold pizza and where did the waitress go now”

California Pizza Kitchen
Ranked #58 of 430 Restaurants in Burbank
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Came hoping to to try the gluten-free pizza alternatives and had a really poor experience. We ordered two pizzas, one BBQ and the other with mushroom and sausages. Possibly because of the cautious procedures (meaning that they seemed to have cooked the two pizzas in series as opposed to simultaneously) or because of a waitress who was invisible for long periods, The pizzas were cold (And I mean Really COLD) when we got them. I could see them waiting for delivery and wondered who was going to get them.

Now as to the pizzas, the BBQ pizza was not a good choice because there was too little sauce and it was sweet. (For those not on a GF diet, most GF breads are sweet themselves so the combination of sweet on sweet is overkill). Now this was complicated by the fact that the crust seemed to be identical to a commercial crust I can buy in groceries in my home country, seemed to have been under heated, and was rubbery not crisp.

The other pizza was much better but, they should consider a New York style sauce as it would create a better contrast to the very sweet crust. It makes me wonder about the market research involved here.

So here we have bad service and a low quality product. The worst thing here is that one of the nearby steakhouses serves a better GF pizza than this specialized pizza bakery. I would not recommend CPK for those on a GF diet.

There are newer reviews for California Pizza Kitchen

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Order your food over the phone and pick up in the parking structure from your car...Great idea! Chinese and BBQ are still great!

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Overall success! Ki was awesome, one little hiccup and she delivered behind our expectations... She was very personable and made Ashley and I feel welcome, comfortable and free to be ourselves.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

There's a reason this California Pizza Kitchen is always full and it's not the Ikea across the street. I have never failed to receive a cheery greeting upon entering, and the food and service are always good.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We expected a food chain and were positively surprised by the quality of the salads and the pizza. The service was enthusiastic and fast. The only thing we did not really like was the atmosphere. I think - being Europeans - we are spoilt.