“An Costly Cuban Restaurant with Underhanded Pricing, Bad Food, and a Lack of Staff.”
Review of Salsa Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Dining style: Casual Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My girlfriend and I went to Guantanamera for our first time the other day and I was not impressed. Actually, I was outright upset when I left the restaurant.

First off- the entire menu is overpriced. Now, I'm OK with spending some extra dough for great food and service- but neither was offered here. The food that I ordered was mediocre, and there was a only a one-man staff responsible for being host, server and bartender to the entire restaurant.

Even this being the case, I would normally just eat up, pay for my meal and never come here again, end of story. But when I got the bill, I realized that I was being charged $8 per margarita- instead of the $3.50 that is clearly posted on a table flyer under "Monday Specials" (yes, it was Monday).

This margarita price was right underneath a food-for-two special, which we decided not to get. I asked the server about the $8 price- and he said in order to receive the Monday Special drink prices, we had to get the food special as well. When asked why it doesn't say this ANYWHERE on the special flyer, or why this was not brought to our attention in any way- the server responded "I'm Sorry".

The lack in quality of food, the steep prices, the bad service, and the misleading and downright sleazy happy hour scheme made my experience one for the books! I will never step foot inside this place again, and I wish you a better experience than I had- should you decide to.

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Going to this restaurant is the one part of my LA trip that I regret. I found out about it from TripAdvisor and liked what I read, but can't agree after going there. The Mojitos were strong. (not always a bad thing.. but I want mine to taste good) I didn't realize that Fried Yucca was basically french fries. (my fault, not the restaurant's) It's not very vegetarian friendly, with only one semi-overpriced vege plate to offer. My boyfriend ordered a chicken entree and wasn't too excited about it. The only thing worth writing home about was the steamed yucca. Everything else was forgettable. Afterwards we just wanted our $60 back. I guess I just expected to be wowed.

(Also, ordered a margarita because they were listed as a daily special for $3.95. Found out when the check came that they are only that price when you also order the daily food special.. $5 lesson learned.)

Reviewed 6 January 2009

Some friends and I got together at Guantanamera Restaurant on a Saturday night and we had the time of our lifes. This place is truely happening!! The food was delicious. We had Grilled Chicken with cuban spices, "Yummy", Oxtail plate was amazing, Pork, oh so good and Salmon very good. Writing about these plates is making me hungry. The service is great! All the servers are cuban and this really adds a lot of character to the place and to the experience. It makes it very Cuban. We have not found a place like this to hang out at and this is going to become our hangout.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Irvine, California
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Excellent Cuban food! I ordered the lengua and it's soft and tender! They also have a decent Cuban sandwich (roast pork, ham, mustard, swiss cheese, and pickles). Recommended!!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook