“the worst experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“the worst experience”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

i re-booked my flight for a later one so that i can sleep in, i walked in the room put my bags down and was about to sit my cup on the table to see that they didn't clean the room very well there was two cup rings on the table from the previous guest i was so tired i couldn't even go back downstairs to complain uugghh , i then get in the and look up and one of the ceiling tiles is falling down. so i put the do not disturb on the door but that didn't matter because when the house keeper came to clean the rooms across from me and next to me she made so much noise it woke me up on-top of they had worker next door to me and above me doing construction drilling , hammering and who knows what else so i paid for a extra day for nothing because sleep is what i didn't get frustrated and upset with the whole experience. and by the way there internet is slow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Brendan D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Benu,

First off, I just want to apologize for the unpleasant stay you had with us. I’m definitely going to look into the condition of the room and follow up on who cleaned the room to ensure that this does not happen again. It is completely unacceptable and definitely not up to the Crowne Plaza standards. I’m also sorry to hear that you were not able to get the rest you wanted due to the noise from the construction. We are currently renovating our windows to allow for better sound insulation from the freeway. I do apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. At your earliest convenience, please contact me. I would love an opportunity to make this up to. We do appreciate you taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

Email: bdbeckett@sfocp.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
central nj
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have traveling to San Francisco Bay Area for the last 6 years, as my company is headquartered in Burlingame. In the past I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza with no issues, and generally enjoyed the experience. On my most recent trip (still here) I have been displeased with two issues that I feel are totally avoidable. (1) I always request a non-smoking room, which I was provided; however, there must be a smoking room directly adjacent to my room as the smell in the hallway and into my room was quite unpleasant. (2) They are currently working on a window replacement project, which is great; however, they should restrict their room bookings to areas which are not close to the actual repair schedule. I have listened to drilling and hammering in the early morning and up until 9 PM at night, which to me is totally unacceptable.

This hotel has declined in recent years, and there are just too many options in the area to validate the increased room rates they are demanding. I plan to share my comments with hotel management, and also with our corporate travel team, so they can direct new joiners to another hotel venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Natalie_Jetsetter
Brendan D, Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Natalie_Jetsetter,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback. Let me just start off by apologizing for the construction noise you experienced during your recent stay. I assure you that the drilling and hammering was not to surpass 5PM. They did go well into the night the very first night of construction, which was a major problem for us and we have since talked to our contractors to ensure that this does not happen again. On the other hand, our hotel is an entirely non-smoking property. Any smoking of any sort inside our hotel is not authorized by the hotel. At your earliest convenience, please contact me; I would love to get more feedback from you about your recent stay. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us, I look forward to hearing from you soon and getting an opportunity to make this up to do.

Penang
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Checking was okay, the elevator was abit too far from the reception and the hallway was a little bit misleading. the hall way to the room was shabby and not appealing

Room - room was just okay for maybe just 1 or 2 person. The bed is comfy and there's a big flat screen tv. I like the point that they provide a small sachet and spray for aroma therapy. The toiletries supplied was good quality and toilet was clean too.

The room heater was not good enough.. I tried to maximize the heater yet still it goes off every now and then. The heater too very old and worn out. Was there during early march winter storm. Too cold to survive with that worn out heater.

Location - far away from local attraction but near to airport. They have free airport shuttle that pick up every 20 minutes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MissyIb
Brendan D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Missylb,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the aroma therapy spray in our “Sleep Tight Spa Kit” during your stay. I’m sorry that the heater in your room didn’t seem to be working properly. I will follow up on this personally with our engineer to make sure that it is working properly, so this doesn’t happen with any other guests. We hope you get a chance to come back and stay with us again.

The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Checkin was smooth. Parking is well arranged. Room was clean, yet a bit dated though and relatively small. Breakfast was horrible. Empty supplies all the time and the guy doing our table was rude. Addressing guests from two tables away, rather than coming to the table. Debating about whether we had continental or American breakfast. Limited supply, and the quality of the food was mediocre. The next few days, we decided to go to a bagel shop for breakfast instead, so an easy fix. However what will not make me return again is the noise in the rooms from 101. The hotel has a serious issue, the windows are not isolated and it felt like the cars pass by 10ft from your room. Really not acceptable at all.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear DutchB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Paris
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I chose this hotel at the last minute due to its location (and the fact that my favorite SF airport hotel was booked for the night). The downstairs lobby area has been recently re-done and I was expecting a nice stay - until I noticed the bellman turn 180 degrees away from me when I pulled up with my car full of bags. I had to get my own luggage cart, load it and bring it up to my room. Exhausted from my travel, I was looking forward to relaxing in my room. First of all, the remodel on the hotel rooms was the bare minimum - really cheap and shabby furnishings, uncomfortable and tiny bed, no room safe, and, to my unfortunate surprise, a noisy major freeway right outside the old, single paned window. I called downstairs ad they told me that there were no rooms with two beds on the non-freeway side of the hotel (not none available, but no such rooms exist), but they were proud to tell me that the hotel includes a complementary set of ear plugs in our room! Even ear plugs were not enough to drown out the constant noise from highway 101.
I left my bags downstairs after I checked out the next morning (I put them on a luggage cart myself). When I returned later (around 1 PM), I handed the bellman my claim slip, he pointed me towards the luggage cart and walked away. So, no help loading my bags either (and I was planning on tipping him). I immediately approached the front desk asking to speak with the Manager. This request produced the response that there really isn't a Manager but I could leave a message and someone would get back to me. So, for the amount I paid for one night (>$300), poor room quality and poorer service, my advice is to stay as far away from this place as you can! There are much nicer and less expensive options near SFO.
The Crowne Plaza SFO doesn't deserve to wear a crown.

Room Tip: There are no rooms with two beds on the "quieter" (non-freeway) side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SeanExpat12
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear SeanExpat12,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to read that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The US-101 is right next to the hotel and the noise due to the heavy traffic can be heard clearly from inside the hotel rooms (very loud, trust me). I booked two rooms, one on the fifth floor and the other on the second, facing opposite directions, but neither is quite. If you are a light sleeper of some kind, like me, definitely avoid a stay here because it will make you stay up all night!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Chenyu L,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback. We understand that not getting a good night’s sleep due to traffic noise is a huge inconvenience for you, and I’m truly sorry for that. I am very happy to notify you about our current renovation project. We have started replacing the windows in the guest bedrooms with state of the art sound proof and climate control windows to eliminate the highway noise. This will provide all of our guests with a more comfortable and quiet stay. Once we complete our renovations, we hope you get a chance to come back to stay with us again.

General manager

Phone: 650-373-7001
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel close to airport. Staff nice and friendly. Paid parking only downer. Nice buffet breakfast for a nominal fee. Love the fireplace. Quick check in and check out. Nice area outside to sit. Pretty area surroundings with plenty if food choices nearby to walk to.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lisa L
Brendan D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We are happy to hear you had a nice stay with us and that you found our staff to be nice and friendly. We would love to have you come back and stay with us again.