San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I personally have not stayed at this hotel but my family has and I have done a number of conventions here as well. This review comes after an amazing experience I had with the staff at this particular hotel. I was stuck in rough place a little under 2 weeks ago when we had experienced a death in the family. I needed to find a place to house my family at an affordable rate the last minute. I contacted the sales department and a gentleman named Michael spoke to me right away...I want to say he was the Sales Manager. He was very responsive and got me information right away. Unfortunately I did not need as many rooms as I first thought which then no longer qualified as a group rate or block. Instead of just shrugging off my request, Michael passed my request on to Daisy. Daisy again worked extremely fast and secured me the rooms that I needed and made sure that I was aware that everything was taken care of. By the way, this all happened within an hour because I was at the airport about to catch a flight to be with my family. Daisy just ensured that on Monday I could come to the hotel and make sure everything was taken care of. When I arrived at the hotel, Justin, the Front Desk Manager, was extremely helpful. He helped me change everything around so that everything was taken care of for my family's arrival. During this extremely hard time for my family, I really wanted to give Marriott kudos for how fast and efficiently they took care of me and my family. It is good to see that big hotels still care about their customers. I really could not thank this team enough for making this process easy for me. I also did receive many compliments from my family about how great the rooms were and that they were able to get a little bit of rest. Again, a big thanks to Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here for my husbands 30th Birthday. It was very nice. I usually love Marriott. Room was very clean and decor was nice. Hotel had a nice bar and patio area that we went to when we felt too lazy to go out on the town. You still feel like you're out and about at their hotel bar because it is so nice. Expensive, but it is San Francisco. Well worth the money!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I left my IPAD in my room and realized it 10 hours later when I was back in Dallas. I called the hotel and spoke to Rudy. He said he would check with housekeeping and call me back. Less than ten minutes later he called and said that Alisha had cleaned my room and turned in my IPAD. Rudy also said that he would mail it to me at no charge. Apparently the Marriott provides that amazing service to all of its guests. They even took it a step further and Rudy called me back the next day to give me the FedEx tracking number. This just goes to show that there are still great people in the world!! What AMAZING customer service. I will recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Bay Area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2012

One reason I chose this hotel was that it had a shuttle bus service. Imagine my shock when I had to chase after the shuttle to flag his attention when the driver cruised on by the main domestic terminal pick-up point without stopping to see if there were any hotel guests waiting in the throng of tired travelers! That certainly did not bode well for the start of my stay with this hotel.

We arrived to a lobby that seemed to be the second busiest spot in the San Francisco area after Fisherman's Wharf. Finding the front desk for check-in was a bit confusing and it was not very impressive compared to the grand front desk lobbies of many hotels as it was mixed in with a busy bar/lounge as a bit of a cramped afterthought.

I may never stay at another Marriott again after 2 disappointing stays with 2 Marriotts during a 3 week trip to the USA. The first Marriott was so upsetting in the number of complaints that we experienced in a 2-night stay that I was finally pushed to complain directly to the management. I was told I would be upgraded at the next Marriott (being this one) but I'm not sure if that was a smoke screen to soothe me or if I was truly upgraded as I certainly felt disappointed after a long, long walk down a confusingly patterned carpet, with many offshoots to other wings, to find that we were in a tiny room, with a yucky view of the nasty brown water below. Perhaps being placed so far from the one and only bank of elevators that serviced the large hotel was an upgrade against busy hall traffic, otherwise I certainly felt I'd been downgraded and blacklisted!

The room was too claustrophobic to stay in long so we did not spend much time in it apart from sleeping. The bed was a bit saggy and the least comfortable of any bed we stayed in during the trip. In the morning, the lobby/bar was quiet and it seemed far nicer than it had on first impression. The breakfast both mornings was absolutely the best of any of the other hotels we had stayed in during our trip and the restaurant staff was attentive and efficient so I was glad that I chose the "Stay for breakfast" option when booking and it greatly improved my feeling about the hotel. Viewed from ground level, the waterfront view was nice and not at all the grim, dirty, lowtide view that we had from our room when we first opened the curtains in the morning.

The path behind the hotel is a nice walk and led us to discover The Elephant Bar nearby where we enjoyed a reasonably priced dinner as the posted dinner menu inside the hotel had outrageously expensive prices.

Overall, I wouldn't chose this hotel again. If you are looking for a larger room, enormous bathroom, quiet hotel with personalized attentive staff, and nice waterfront view, then go to the Oyster Point Inn in nearby South San Francisco. It's about the same distance from the airport and we had a very enjoyable stay there for the same amount of money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Had stayed in the Sofitel at Heathrow the night before flying here and experienced a great hotel at almost half the price we paid for this dreary, out-dated establishment in need of a complete refurbishment. From the moment we arrived, the service at reception was terrible ( not to mention the " decor " ). The room was equally bad and ( oh dear ) the restaurant is truly terrible.

I would suggest that there may be better options if you want to be near the aiport, including the Hyatt and the Westin. I have stayed in many Marriott Hotels..............................but this is much lower quality, relying on airport customers like me !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeoDevon
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Small rooms but close to the airport with a free shuttle. The hotel was filled with mainly business users. Business amenities include business center, shoe shine, etc. Nice pool in out of the way location so noise was not an issue. Very convenient. Shuttle was quick and took less time than anticipated. Ask for Rufus as he was top notch.

Room Tip: Free shuttle to SF airport.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank m w
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Had a 6 am flight, so stayed the night before. This place knows how to handle the airport crowd. First, as a platinum member, I received an email telling me that my check in was expedited and I just needed to go to a kiosk right inside the door. I did and was handed my key with a flash of my ID. The hotel offers a lounge dining and a restaurant. Ate in the lounge - it was very good. Restaurant is a little pricey and heavy. 24 hour shuttles mean no worries in getting to the airport. Room was clean and spacious, although a little dated in appearance. Nice walking trail along the water, great outdoor seating to sit and watch the planes come in. Restaurants up the road - you can walk on the trail to get to them. 2 computer checkin terminals in the lobby with a flight board above them. Overall great airport hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lawdogs1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!