“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
New Jersey
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here in April 2013 and did not like it at all--I wrote a negative review at that time. Due to the fact this was the most reasonable, convenient hotel to the airport, and when I called to check I was told the renovations were complete, I decided to give it another try. Boy, am I glad I did! They've done a wonderful job with renovating and I won't hesitate to stay here again. Breakfast was very good, rooms were comfortable and clean, staff was very pleasant. While we didn't need the shuttle service since we had a rental car, I did check out the schedule and they run very frequently.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Janneykins,

Thank you very much for allowing us to be a part of your most recent visit to San Francisco International Airport and for posting a nice review for our hotel. We are happy to know that our newly-renovated property had met your standards and that you enjoyed your stay with us. For any future reservations, please do not hesitate to call us at 659-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to help you. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you once again in the future!!!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel about 3 times in the last 8 months and have been pleased with the experience each time. It is close to the air port although you never hear a plane. The rooms have been recently updated (not with the most upscale materials), are clean & fresh. Staff is friendly & helpful. The free breakfast provides numerous options, including healthy choices. Dining area is on the small side but there are larger counter-like tables in the lobby area that can be used. I continue to dislike how small the bathrooms are & how little counter/storage area there is in the bathrooms. This seems to be a universal issue with HIE in my opinion. On the other hand, all we really do when we are in San Fran visiting our daughter is sleep there and then we are out and about the rest of the day. Given that, this has been a great place for us to stay.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms have a nicer view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear nanag70,

We would like to thank you for staying with the newly-renovated Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review for our hotel. Thank you for always staying with us whenever you visit our location. We are glad to know that you had a good overall stay with us. Should you need any assistance in making any future reservation, please feel free to call us at 650-347-2341 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com. We hope to see you again soon!!!

Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I frequently visit the bay area for business and had the opportunity last week to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The last time I'd stayed at this property was a LONG time ago when it was operating under a different brand.

With the exception of a reservation glitch, which was quickly rectified by Sarah at the front desk, it exceeded most all of my expectations. I must agree with others who have posted, the staff here is friendly and top notch. Their management is doing a great job of hiring the "right" people.

If you've stayed in other hotels along Bayshore in Burlingame you know that the noise from Hwy 101 can be a problem. While initially I was worried about this as I got a room facing the highway my concern was put to rest the first night when I got a great nights sleep without so much of a hit of road noise. They have multi-paned windows and nice thick walls.

The room was fresh and clean and felt like it had been remodeled recently. My bed was comfortable with a good selection of pillows from firm to feathery.

If the location seems away from it all, but there are quite a few great restaurants within walking distance. From Max's Opera Cafe (right in their parking lot) to Benihana to the Elephant Bar. A little farther walk over the interstate via the walking bridge takes you to many more places on Broadway or you can stay along bay and walk to Kinkaids..

Several areas where they could use improvement:

Workout Room: was pretty sparse with a couple of tread mills and only one elliptical. I'm not sure if their standard guest isn't interested in exercise facilities, but some more "robust" equipment would be nice. Also they have the guest laundry in the workout room and the machine odors can find their way into the workout room.

Shuttle Bus: Slow...slow...slow. OK maybe slow is not as good of a word as infrequent. I arrived into SFO at about 6:00 and had to wait a good 45 minutes for the shuttle. I've stayed at other properties who they share the shuttle bus with and it's been a problem for years. They need to add in a couple more buses as it's frustrating to see the 2 (or more) busses from other hotels come and go and not see any from here.

My overall review is: don't let any preconceived notion about the Holiday Inn brand fool you. This is a great property that my well be the best value in Burlingame.

Room Tip: If you can get on the bay side of the hotel, do so.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear FlyingSux,

On behalf of the entire staff of the Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, we would like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and for posting a nice review for our hotel. You feedback is definitely appreciated. We will surely pass along your kind words to Sarah for a job well-done in providing you great service, this is something that our staff takes pride in. We are also happy to know that you were able to enjoy our newly-renovated rooms. We will check and see if we can add more equipments in our fitness center and also see how we can improve the service of the shuttle company who do the service for us. Thank you once again and should you be back to the beautiful city of San Francisco, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to assist you. We hope to see you again in the future.

Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My twin and I wanted to stay a couple of days in San Francisco before going to Hawaii and then several days after we arrived in San Francisco. We were greeted by two wonderfull young women at the desk. Camille and Emily made us feel like we were family not just guest sigining in for the firsr time. When we came from Hawaii what luck the same two women were at the desk and we shared our trip whith them. We had breakfast every day we were there and enjoyed the meals as well as the friendly and helpful staff. We meet some of the other staff at the desk and other friendly personal. Our rooms on both visits were clean and ready as soon as we arrived. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to my family and friends. I do have to say that the price for the hotel was fair and equatibleThank You for having us and making our trip more memorable.

Room Tip: We stated on the 3rd floor in the back and didnt hear any noise On our return triip we stayed on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Rose L,

On behalf of the entire staff of the Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, we would like to thank you for staying with us and for posting a very nice review for our hotel. We are very glad that we were able to meet your standards and expectations and that you were able to enjoy our newly-renovated property. We will surely pass along your kind words to our staff, most especially to Camille and Emily, this is something that the staff takes pride in. Out of curiosity, just a side question, what does RMLF means? =) We hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again in the future. Please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com should you need any assistance in making any future reservations. See you again soon!!!

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I live about 1 1/2 hour away from SFO. Whenever I have a morning flight out of SFO I always stay at a hotel near the airport with a parking package. This time the usual places I stay at were either sold out or charging much higher rates than normal. I have a hard time staying at a airport hotel for $350+ a night. So I ended up here for a still higher than normal $250 with 14 days parking. I think I have found my new SFO hotel. They may not have room service or bell men. But it appears to be recently remodeled, the staff is friendly and the rooms are a decent size, clean and nicely decorated. There is no restaurant in the hotel but Max's Restaurant is in the parking lot. It has better food than any of those 'nicer' hotels. Plus the bar is cool with a piano player. It is close to the airport with a shuttle every 1/2 hour. I could not hear any airport noise from my room. Highly recommend for a stay before a flight. I give it 5 stars for doing what it promises well. It's not a Four Seasons and doesn't pretend to be. It is a great choice for a airport hotel.

Stayed May 2014
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear sgsilva,

Thank you for choosing and staying in Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South and for posting a wonderful review for our hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated. The staff's top priority are your comfort and satisfaction and we are very glad to know that we were able to meet them and that you enjoyed our newly-renovated rooms. Should you need assistance in making any future reservations, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be happy to help you. We look forward to have the opportunity of serving you once again.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The first positive impression is the greeting by the Front Desk (Camille, Emily, Karla, and Mary). All employees are welcoming you and show a genuine happy to see you. The maintenance staff(Mike and Joe) respond to any concern you may have in the room or at the location, The rooms have all been recently remodeled and they look great and are very comfortable with refrigerator and microwave. No parking costs which can save you at least $25/night. Also, the free breakfast provides fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels with cream cheese, bacon, hard boiled eggs, and a lot more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karl G
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Karl G,

On behalf of the entire staff of the Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, we would like to thank you for staying with us and for posting a very nice review for our property. Just to know that we were able to satisfy your needs and standards are enough for us to say that we were able to meet our goal, and that is having our guests feel like we are a home away from home. We will definitely pass along your kind words to the staff, this is something that each and everyone takes pride in. Should you be back to our location, please feel free to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you once again and we hope to have the pleasure to serve you once again in the future.

Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Its close to to airport which was very convient, it was recently renovated which helped make the bathroom absolutely spotless, the overall room condition was very good. Its close to Caltrain and Bart, just one exit north (5 minutes max) with parking for only $2.00 and the staff was exceptional especially Emily and Camille. The sunrise views are striking and breakfast was always very good as usual. One last thing, the rates compared to all the others were reasonable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Paul C,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for posting a nice review for our property. It is always the staff's priority to make sure that your stay is comfortable and to achieve your satisfaction and we are happy that we were able to meet that. We will surely pass along your kind words to our staff especially Emily and Camille. Should you be back to our location, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to assist you. We hope to see you again soon!!!