“Worst place I've ever stayed”

Sleepy Hollow Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burney
Sleepy Hollow Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Burney
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I'm in general a low budget traveler and have stayed in a ton of motels with a pretty high tolerance. And this was by far the worst place ever. We reached there late on 4th July and checked in pretty late i.e. post 10 pm. There was probably just one other car parked in front of the motel. eerie! We go to our rooms and it just goes downhill from there. It was a very badly maintained motel. For e.g. the bathroom had no latches. Well, that is fine but if the door of the room was opened, the bathroom door popped open as well. Now that's how badly maintained this *motel* was. The bed covers, etc. were disgusting. It looked like they were never washed in their lifetime. The lame attempt to decorate the room was successful in making it a set for a horror movie shoot. The towels in the bathroom were stained and torn and tattered. The shower seemed like a coffin totally. I get it that it is an old motel, but if it is not good, you gotta fix it. It was not even that cheap! Well, I would not even stay in this dingy hole if someone gave me money to do that leave alone me paying out of my pocket. NEVER EVER!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anon444
There are newer reviews for Sleepy Hollow Lodge

Reviewed 14 July 2013

How this place receives 4 or 5 star reviews is very questionable.. or my family got stuck in the worst room of the motel.
First - the good - the lady that checked me in was very warm and welcoming. She brought her infant son out and was so proud of the cute little guy. She seemed sincere and very friendly. If it wasn't for her warmth and friendliness, I would have requested my money back and driven somewhere else... maybe Red Bluff.
Second - the bad - and there was lots of it. To begin with, I was even supposed to stay in this motel. I had a confirmed reservation at the Burney Motel on the other side of town. Through a discrepancy on their end, they double booked the room and called me while I was on vacation to apologize and said he reserved a room for me at the Sleep Hollow Lodge. Go figure. The place was beyond a pit. We travel about 40 nights a year, and this was the worst place we have ever gotten ourselves into. (And I truly don't think I even have very high standards.) When I first went into the room, my first reaction was "quaint." Quaint was soon replaced by repulsive. The carpet was filthy and sticky. It was a hot day (upper 90s) and the air conditioner didn't even cool the room down to the mid 80s. There was an electrical extension cord gizmo dangling down across the wall with the frig and microwave and lamps plugged into it. It looked like some weird contraption from a college dorm room. The bathroom : Yikes! The towels (although I assume they were laundered) were stained yellow and brown. Ever hear of bleach? My wife and daughter wouldn't even use them and instead used our own beach towels we had with us. Another reviewer referred to the shower as a "cement coffin." That's the perfect description, although I might suggest "moldy cement coffin." Imagine a cement box with a leaky shower head surrounded by moldy walls, and all very dark inside of it. It was the oddest and scariest thing I've ever stood in. I'm 6'2" and couldn't even stand upright in it. There was a used toothbrush left above the sink and a used razor left by the window. The toilet had one of those nifty paper strips across it signifying "freshly cleaned." Huh. I guess they missed all of the diarrhea splatter underneath the seat when it was cleaned. As of 8 pm on July 4th, we were the only customers in the place. I guess that tells you something. (Two more unlucky customers were there when we left.) The defining moment of how bad it was..... my teenage daughter who wants nothing more than to lay in bed all morning... was packed and ready to go by 6:25 am. We were on the road by 6:30. That was probably a record for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IndyDad65
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I agree with Sonomatraveler, you really have to wonder about these faceless reviews. I've been to this hotel many times, its the only place I stay at in Burney and everytime I receive a warm welcome and wonderful service. I further agree that the lady that runs the place is a real delight. I only wish I had more time to spend chatting with her. But the place is always clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank momto3gsds
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I often look at these reviews and wonder who writes them. This is a budget hotel. It aint the Ritz Carlton. If that's your standard don't look at budget hotels you'll never be satisfied. My wife and I stayed here for two nights in late October. The room we had was clean and the hotel offered everything we would want. It's an old 50's place that has been fixed up and now looks pretty close to what it was when built. Sure the rooms are small, sure the shower is an old design, and there is no refrigerator. But it's clean and quiet. You get what you pay for and this is excellent value for money. I read some of the other negative reviews and can only conclude the guests were either too demanding or rude or both. The woman who runs the place is a delight and very helpful. We would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonomatraveler_12
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The 'red flag' started rising at check in when the owner in her sweet, cockney accent said, "I am too old to be doing this."
We are a 40+ country world traveler and returning home from a summer road trip to Oregon. Burney Falls is a beautiful locale.
We called ahead to inquire. Owner seemed put off when we asked about a discount for AAA or cash. The property sounded nice...and it is for a 1950's motel.
Only two other rooms booked in the motel. Owner placed us between them. No smoking in the rooms, but our 'neighbors' were heavy smokers...and you know where their smoke went.
Requested ice two times during the late afternoon and early eve. The second time the owner seemed very inconvenienced.
Upon check out, we tried to inform the owner of a toilet leak. In no uncertain terms, the owner told us the units are perfectly maintained! And then the, "I'm glad to see you leave!" With that comment, so were we!
We do agree with her that she is too old to be doing this!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very old motel but extremely clean. Owner very friendly and helpful. No fridge. Decided to stay in area to see Burney Falls. Shower extremely small but water pressure was Great!! The little flower pots on a/c unit shows how much love and care are put into this Old motel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I take a road trip about once a year, with no real plan or direction. The best places we have ever been to, are the ones you just happen to stumble across. Sleepy Hollow was definately one of the best. We were greeted by the sweetest and most cheerful people we have come across in a very long time. The place was small and on the outskirts of town, which was just what we were looking for. The rooms were very clean and cozy. We will definately stay there on our way back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple