There are good and bad things about this hotel. I will list them separately.
(1) I complained 3 times about the television in my room. The picture had lines across it on all channels, some channels were much worse than others. My partner says its a sign of a problem with the installation - electrical interference affecting the cabling. People did come to look at it, but nothing they did actually removed the problem. Eventually I gave up complaining.
(2) The carpet in my room had several stains on it (have photos)
(3) Several tiles in the bathroom were cracked (have photos)
(4) Mould in the bathroom (have photos)
(5) Dirty window in my room (slightly spoiled the nice view for me)
(6) Musty smell in the corridor and signs of water damage (have photos)
(7) Musty smell in the chest of drawers
(8) While we were fetching our dessert at the buffet supper the first night, our table was prematurely completely cleared, including my unfinished Appletizer. That and the cost meant we didn't go back for dinner the next night.
(10) The shark nets have been removed from the beach. The lifesavers don't know when they will be brought back again. Since safe bathing was a reason for choosing this hotel, this was quite dissapointing.
(11) There is litter alongside the wooden walkway to the beach.
(12) The change rooms next to the pool smell strongly of urine
(13) There is an unpleasant stagnant smell coming from water dripping from the gutters on the games room building.
(14) A pocket-pack of tissues in the bathroom room instead of the expected box of tissues
(15) Soap scum on the back of the bath mixer.
(16) The shower curtain on the bath often stuck to me while I was showering. A glass shower door may well be a better idea.
(1) Staff was very friendly
(2) The linen on the bed and the towels were very clean.
(3) Housekeeping promptly replaced the down-filled pillows with non-down ones, once they understood what it was I was talking about.
(4) The breakfast buffet selection is good.
(5) The mutton curry at the dinner buffet is excellent
(6) Nice view from my sea-facing king room on the third floor- could sit in bed and see the sea.
(7) The nightly chocolates by the bed were a nice touch
So, in summary, my weekend trip at the end of January 2012 was dissapointing. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'd go again to this hotel, unless they did some thorough refurbishment, upped their maintenance game and did more staff training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel Karridene Beach - Where Business and Pleasure Meet. Only 20 minutes south of Durban, this modern and luxurious South Coast hotel resort is well-known for its excellent accommodation, wonderful food, friendly hospitality and first-class service. Nestled between the lagoon and the beach at Illovo; views are a given. It also boasts an award-winning caravan park. Bring your rackets, clubs and swimwear because there is plenty to do nearby. A wheelchair-friendly boardwalk is also available, leading onto the beach! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Karridene