“My stay at the Karridene.”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Illovo Beach
“My stay at the Karridene.”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I really enjoyed my trip to the Karridene. The Karridene is very close to the beach and I enjoyed walking the beach in the morning after a fine meal meal at the Karridene. I must say I have stayed at the Karridene before and have a good to very good visit. This time when I stayed I had the pleasure of meeting Nishi Chetty one of the mangers at the Hotel. She understood I was very far from home so she did her best to turn my good to very good stay to an excellent stay. So in short she and her staff made the stay excellent for me and my friends from the USA. So I have to recommend the Karridene as the place to stay on the south coast of South Africa. I can not speak for everyone experience at this Hotel i know I had a great won.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 19 March 2013

The hotel was Ok, the food was delicious and the conference centre was well organised, the staff was friendly did not rush us even though we came late. There were no technical glitches the seminar was completed with no hassles.The dishes were tasty especially mutton and the chicken was well served.

Room Tip: I did not sleep because the seminar was a day event
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sibongiseni N
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We went to the Protea Karridene camp site.To say that they are in the hospitality business is a tragedy.This is a place were guests are treated as criminals and security guards don't know the description of their jobs ie.TO KEEP CRIMINALS OUT AND GUESTS SAFE.Instead guests are stopped at the gate,prevented from entering,questioned at length about their reason for their visit,number of guests,length of stay and whether they have paid for their accommodation.The management need to really look at whether they are in charge or the security guards are.Would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.If instructions are coming from Management then that's an even bigger tragedy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear sally p

As a valued GUEST at our resort, we at Karridene Caravan Park would like to thank you for your support over the years. We are truly sorry to hear that you felt disappointed during your last visit.

The rules & regulations of the park require payment prior or upon check-in; unfortunately no payment arrangements or site allocations were received prior to your GUESTS’ arrival. It therefore becomes very difficult for us to allow access to any persons into the Park without us knowing on which site they will be accommodated. We do apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this. I would like to assure you that the security procedures are not to inconvenience our GUESTS, but merely to account for the number of people entering the Park. Our valued GUESTS and their wellbeing are our first priority and this system is there to safeguard the Resort and its visitors.

Should there be anything we can assist you with in the future, please contact me directly at gm@karridene.co.za.

Kind Regards
Rob Trehaeven
Protea Hotel Karridene

Travellers are raving about these Illovo Beach hotels

Kolkata
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We are from India , and six of us booked at this hotel through Booking.com . It is about 60 km from the city centre and we had to book a shuttle taxi (cost Rand 4400 per taxi/ return trip) for each visit to City centre . We ended up paying for two taxis for the six of us .

We reached the hotel at just after ten at night. We had booked through booking.com but the receptionists told us that there was only one booking though our confirmation slip clearly showed three rooms/ 6 persons . After a very long wait we were given three rooms .The restaurant was closed and there was no room service at that hour. We had to drive about ten km for drinking water and food .

The rooms were mediocre , with no mini bar or amenities one normally expects . I had to call reception several times for electronic lock to function. I was not able to make a local call (I think they shut the PBX board at night) . The breakfast was also not upto the mark and it was not included in the room rent. For dinner , there was a buffet spread which we opted out of and instead ordered a la carte. We were told that a la carte was only available at the bar .

Overall it was not a very good experience and will avoid this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 August 2012

my wife and i stayed here for a one night stop over. we stayed in suit. the staff was awesome, very friendly. the general manager, Ashlin, went the extra mile to make our stay very pleasant. a great choice if you are looking to check into the south coast. breakfast consisted a very large selection

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

From arrival the staff were very friendly and helpfull. Room and bedding crisp and clean. Beautifull seaview from room. A small barfridge could be added to the room. Buffet breafast a bit expensive. A guard is patroling the walkway going down to the beach but your safety can still be a problem. Shops and other restaurants nearby.

• Stayed August 2011
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The hotel overlooking the sea is well situated. The rooms afford a good view of the sea and the railway line in between. From the dining area one has a view of the swimming pool and the kiddies play area. The rooms are adequately furnished. However, there was no hot water coming out of the shower. There was no time to call maintenance as I had to make my way to breakfast and to the conference. It is an ideal destination for families with little children, especially if they have cycles to ride. Older kids would be bored. Mature couples may find it relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up afford a better view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
The View Boutique Hotel & Spa
305 Guest House
305 Guest House
#1 of 24 in Amanzimtoti

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach? Share your experiences!