“Pleasantly average”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Illovo Beach
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel is clean,rooms were suitable & entertainment areas well maintained.There's plenty to keep you busy i.e games arcade,mini golf,squash courts,pool tables,bar & a large swimming pool.There's a lovely bridge walkway leading to the beach however,i must say,this isnt the best stretch of beach the KZN South Coast has to offer.The buffet breakfast was tasty but inadequate for the price(135ZAR).Buffet dinner seemed overpriced at 185ZAR p.p,so we opted to eat elsewhere.Cheesecake was amazing though!Staff were pleasant.Overall pleasantly average experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aleena101

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Two weeks ago I visited this Protea Hotel Karriden and as usual this hotel group doesn't fail that much. Starting from the location, it is so superb, my kind of a location, tucked in the bush but it's difficult if you are using public transport.

I was lucky to be given a room facing the sea, what a view it was and keep on seeing the trains moving past at about 100 metres from the hotel. There is even a walkway to the beach made out of wood, it's like one is in the garden of Eden :-)

They have Volleyball and Mini Golf course for entertainment. The yard is so beautiful and well-taken care of.

As a Prokard member am used to late check-out, but was dissappointed that I was not granted it even to extend by 1 hour, the person on the reception while requesting over the telephone seemed to be impatient with me and even told me that the check-out time was 10H00 whereas in the Information brochure it states that the check-out is 11H00, we ended up leaving in a hurry as if we are being chased away, that was embarassing and distateful

I always visit Protea Hotels but I was never kicked out like that before and especially before 11H00.

Room Tip: Choose the sea-facing rooms, they have a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boo-ngane
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I really enjoyed my trip to the Karridene. The Karridene is very close to the beach and I enjoyed walking the beach in the morning after a fine meal meal at the Karridene. I must say I have stayed at the Karridene before and have a good to very good visit. This time when I stayed I had the pleasure of meeting Nishi Chetty one of the mangers at the Hotel. She understood I was very far from home so she did her best to turn my good to very good stay to an excellent stay. So in short she and her staff made the stay excellent for me and my friends from the USA. So I have to recommend the Karridene as the place to stay on the south coast of South Africa. I can not speak for everyone experience at this Hotel i know I had a great won.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2013

The hotel was Ok, the food was delicious and the conference centre was well organised, the staff was friendly did not rush us even though we came late. There were no technical glitches the seminar was completed with no hassles.The dishes were tasty especially mutton and the chicken was well served.

Room Tip: I did not sleep because the seminar was a day event
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sibongiseni N
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We went to the Protea Karridene camp site.To say that they are in the hospitality business is a tragedy.This is a place were guests are treated as criminals and security guards don't know the description of their jobs ie.TO KEEP CRIMINALS OUT AND GUESTS SAFE.Instead guests are stopped at the gate,prevented from entering,questioned at length about their reason for their visit,number of guests,length of stay and whether they have paid for their accommodation.The management need to really look at whether they are in charge or the security guards are.Would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.If instructions are coming from Management then that's an even bigger tragedy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear sally p

As a valued GUEST at our resort, we at Karridene Caravan Park would like to thank you for your support over the years. We are truly sorry to hear that you felt disappointed during your last visit.

The rules & regulations of the park require payment prior or upon check-in; unfortunately no payment arrangements or site allocations were received prior to your GUESTS’ arrival. It therefore becomes very difficult for us to allow access to any persons into the Park without us knowing on which site they will be accommodated. We do apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this. I would like to assure you that the security procedures are not to inconvenience our GUESTS, but merely to account for the number of people entering the Park. Our valued GUESTS and their wellbeing are our first priority and this system is there to safeguard the Resort and its visitors.

Should there be anything we can assist you with in the future, please contact me directly at gm@karridene.co.za.

Kind Regards
Rob Trehaeven
Protea Hotel Karridene

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We are from India , and six of us booked at this hotel through Booking.com . It is about 60 km from the city centre and we had to book a shuttle taxi (cost Rand 4400 per taxi/ return trip) for each visit to City centre . We ended up paying for two taxis for the six of us .

We reached the hotel at just after ten at night. We had booked through booking.com but the receptionists told us that there was only one booking though our confirmation slip clearly showed three rooms/ 6 persons . After a very long wait we were given three rooms .The restaurant was closed and there was no room service at that hour. We had to drive about ten km for drinking water and food .

The rooms were mediocre , with no mini bar or amenities one normally expects . I had to call reception several times for electronic lock to function. I was not able to make a local call (I think they shut the PBX board at night) . The breakfast was also not upto the mark and it was not included in the room rent. For dinner , there was a buffet spread which we opted out of and instead ordered a la carte. We were told that a la carte was only available at the bar .

Overall it was not a very good experience and will avoid this hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

my wife and i stayed here for a one night stop over. we stayed in suit. the staff was awesome, very friendly. the general manager, Ashlin, went the extra mile to make our stay very pleasant. a great choice if you are looking to check into the south coast. breakfast consisted a very large selection

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 44 in Durban
Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
20 mi away
Selborne Golf Estate, Hotel and Spa

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach? Share your experiences!