“Great stay at The Anza”
Review of The Anza Hotel

The Anza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Calabasas
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Very nice hotel. Great location close to shops and restaurants. Clean, modern rooms with comfortable beds, nice showerheads, soft towels. Really nice pool with misters. Nice eco-friendly touches like recycling in the rooms. Nice lobby and bar and breakfast options.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I really thought the property was very nice. They recently renovated and all the rooms are upgraded with modern furnishings and nice bathrooms. The only thing I didn't like is the bathroom only has a half-glass wall, (to fit the modern theme), so without a door on the shower, water gets out and it gets cold faster. Other than that, everything was great! Also the downstairs bistro/ coffee area in the lobby should have more extended hours.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our stay started off poorly. When I booked the room, I put in for two rooms that would be adjoining. I even called the hotel and had them note in the system that we need adjoining rooms since we had a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. When I checked in, they told me they were full and I would have two rooms on opposite sides of the hotel. This did not make us happy. After speaking extensively with management and being on the verge of walking out, the manager offered us a 2-room suite for only slightly more per night than the 2 rooms would have cost us. Even though our room was not one of the updated ones yet, it was still a great room and worked well. After hearing that all the updates are done, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Amazing transformation. The staff were exceptional and the rooms were modern and comfortable beyond expectations. I've stayed at Hiltons and sheratons accross the USA and Europe and this little place not only matches them but surpasses lots of them. I like to test the validity of some reviews and the people that said the highway room was noisy well no comments to them but I intentionally asked for a highway room and slept like a baby, infact when I woke up I went straight to the window to see how far or close I was to the freeway and I was surprised that while I overlooked it I couldn't hear a thing. Awesome breakfast sandwiches (the breakfast panini). And a great vibe :-) thank you to the Anza for a great stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed one night for business. Rooms look great, but they do need to pick up on the details. Both the sheets and blanket had stains on them. When adressed to the Front Desk, they aplogized but offered noting in return. After that, we had a sour taste about the room.

Didnt use the pool but it did look on the small side.
Breakfast not included.

We did sleep very well, the beds are comfy, once we got clean linens.

Ohh, and very close to the Commons, for shopping, food, and movies. Even a Ralph's grocery store.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Genarro M, General Manager at The Anza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear SixSix,
We apologize that we did not get the situation with your bed linen right the first time. It is good to hear that once corrected you were able to enjoy the comfy brand new beds that are in all the rooms. As you mentioned breakfast was not included in your rate but we do have some very wonderful options in our all new Graze Bistro that is open for breakfast and dinner. The next time you visit we will be sure to get your morning started off right with a nice cup of java or one of our fresh pastries.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I holed up in this modern hotel for 48 hours to launch a brand new website for my business. I arrived without a car, knowing that the Anza was perfectly situated within walking distance of everything I could need: Restaurants, cafes with WiFi, a grocery store, entertainment (there's shopping & a movie theatre, not that I had time for either). Oh, plus a pool.

Often when I'm traveling to simply getaway & work, I'm on the hunt for places where I can avoid the cost & hassle of a rental car, & just walk about. The Anza & Calabasas was perfect for that!

Furthermore, this staff is SO wired for customer service. I confess that is not my gifting (it's one of the first things I hired help for in my own business) so I am all the more impressed by people who truly are stellar at it. Absolutely everyone I encountered was so above & beyond helpful, kind, genuine & sincere.

The truth is, it's harder for small independent hotels like this to stay open because we all know what to expect at a Hyatt or Hilton or a big chain. But I think the upside of that is when hotels like this know that, & therefore go the extra mile to make someone like me -- who has never bothered to follow-up with a review online before, of practically anything -- feel compelled to sit down & write about how incredible their business is.

Also, the photos online were identical to everything I saw at the hotel. And the beds had crisp clean white sheets & covers, which personally is the #1 thing I look for in photos: A great white bed!

The hotel's only downside is that it doesn't have stellar views. You're really only looking at the freeway or a parking lot. But, that's because of it's convenient location. So if I was on the beach, I'd want views. But to be totally mobile in a small town, I will definitely be coming back to the Anza to hideout & work again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

For a hotel that recently underwent a $6 million renovation, we found it lacking in a few important features. The first thing I noticed was that our window, which overlooked the pool, was filthy with greasy hand and face prints left by a previous occupant and my husband found used Q-Tips on the bathroom counter. But what really upset us was finding my luggage in the hall outside our room when we returned from a long day of sight-seeing. This was the bag where I had packed my laptop, iPad, jewelry and cosmetics. Miraculously, nothing was missing. Management came up to our room and explained that maintenance had been in the room changing an air filter at the same time the maid was there cleaning. She mistakenly thought the bag belonged to them and set it out in the hall, where it stayed until we returned. They were very apologetic and gave us a $10 credit for the cafe downstairs, which we used.

In all fairness, the rooms look nice and are comfortable. I brought snacks that we could heat up since the ad says all rooms have a fridge and microwave, but the cabinet where the microwave and fridge were supposed to be installed was empty. There was a mini-fridge in the room, next to the TV and we were happy to at least have that. The cafe on the first floor has decent offerings, but there was no complimentary breakfast. We could have used more hooks for wet towels in the bathroom and it would have been nice if the toilet paper rack had not been installed on the wall behind the toilet, which was a little awkward. It seemed that in going with sleek, minimalist styling a few comforts were sacrificed. But the bottom line is security and I could have easily lost valuable personal items that were carelessly left where anyone could have walked off with them. For me, that was a deal-breaker.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory stay at the Anza Hotel recently. We take all security issues extremely seriously at the hotel and have already begun an investigation into what may have caused your personal items to be left in jeopardy. I can assure you this is far from the typical guest experience here and we will be using your feedback to make our room security better than it was before. If you do choose the Anza for your future lodging needs I can say without a doubt you will have a much more pleasant stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabasas
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 6 in Malibu
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
#3 of 3 in Calabasas
South San Fernando Valley
Hilton Woodland Hills/Los Angeles

Been to The Anza Hotel? Share your experiences!