“the anza”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calabasas
San Clemente, California
“the anza”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

If you're going to spend time in Calabasas, this is a perfect place to stay. Located in the downtown part of the city and walking distance to Sagebrush Cantina for a 'Sunday Fun-day'. Rooms are very clean, beds super comfy, decor is very tasteful, and rooms were quiet...no outside noise at all. The only knock I would give this place is that the parking is limited so if you're arriving late a night, you'll have to park across the street. Other than that, this place is a gem!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I understand this small hotel was recently updated. It is modern, comfortable, and has some nice amenities. Best of all, it is located near the freeway - a must in SoCal. You must keep the windows closed because of the freeway noise, but it's just fine. Cafe in the lobby is convenient, and there is some basic shopping within easy walking distance, and more upscale shopping within 1/2 mile.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
vancouver
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Anza Hotel is located in a great location and convenient off the freeway. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The lobby decor is very upscale and the little cafe was convenient for all travelers.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The great size and comfortable beds made our stay better than being home. We had a problem in the bathroom and the desk/ service response was immediate. It was beautifully decorated and the staff was very friendly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is the first bad review I have ever had to write. I don't understand why this place is rated as a 3 star hotel, it looks like a case of false advertisement. It's located right next to the 101 highway and the noise level in rooms facing the highway is awful. I booked a room with 2 beds because I was traveling with my 19 year old son and when we arrived at this hotel at about midnight, the front desk clerk informed me that we were booked in 1 king room with pull up sofa, since the hotel considered that equivalent to 2 beds, but she switched us to the last room with 2 beds available. When we entered the room it had a strong scent of burnt cannabis, burn marks on the carpet, and one of the bed’s sheets had stains appearing to be that of a bodily fluid. I have never seen anything more disgusting in my life. When I called the front desk to report all of this, the night security guard showed up and handed me clean sheets so I could change the bedding myself. Then I asked him to come into the room and see all of the issues himself, so he did and then he confirmed the smell, the burn marks on the carpet, and the stains on the bed. He also pointed out that he is not going to change the bedding since he is not the housekeeping staff and he refuses to touch the bedding. I said that I refuse to stay in the room. What kind of the hotel forces the guest to change filthy bedding sheets themselves? It took about 2 hours of phone calls to hotels.com (since the hotel was booked through them) and not getting any help from them either. Since the clerk told them that they could offer me a room with the king size bed and a pull up sofa, I finally gave up and said that I will agree to move to that room, then the clerk informed that that when she tried to check me into that room, the system showed it as unavailable. At that point they did not have any kind of rooms that can accommodate 2 people. Calling hotels.com another time with this new information did not yield any results whatsoever. The night clerk called the manager, who suggested to place each of us in separate king rooms if we wanted so that we could get some sleep (it was around 2 am at this point). I really wanted to just get out of that place at that point, but I was exhausted and not sure where to find another safe and clean hotel at 2 am, so I agreed to stay there until the following morning. The keys to one of the rooms did not work, so we had to be escorted to the room by the same night security guard who never offered any help and was very rude to us. In the morning, I called another hotel and moved out. But before leaving I spoke with a supervisor named Zoe Littlejohn who assured me that she will call Hotels.com to make sure that I will get my refund and agreed with me that this experience was awful and she will conduct an investigation to make sure this will never happen to other guests. So today, 5 days later, I called hotels.com to check the status of my refund and they informed me that no one called them and when they called the hotel, they were told that I was already compensated! After my protests and conversation with the supervisor, it looks like I am finally getting my refund from hotels.com. So it looks like this hotel is not only unsanitary but their staff members are rude, incompetent, and also liars...I recommend to stay away as far as possible from this place. Do not trust the pretty pictures, the new furniture in this hotel is nothing more than camouflage to cover up their disaster of a hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TanyaSha
Genarro M, General Manager at The Anza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear TanyaSha,
We are very sorry that we caused such a difficult check in experience and followed it up by placing you in a room that was not adequately prepared to be occupied. Furthermore there is no excuse for the key to one of the new rooms to be nonfunctional and for our security team to lack any means of empathy during your ordeal. I have already reached out to our overnight security team and let them know that the level of service that they provided you on your recent visit was not acceptable or on par with the level of service the Anza strives to provide. I am though a bit confused that you stated you checked out the following morning as our records indicate you stayed with us for three nights and that we provided you two rooms with king beds one of which was complementary for the entirety of the stay. I will be personally reaching out to you in order to better understand what happened during the remainder of your stay. When I am able to contact you I will ensure that there are no additional charges billed to your credit card that may be in need of refunding.
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Anza following my wife's birthday party at the Sagebrush Cantina. I have seen the evolution of this hotel from the Country Inn in the 90's to the Carllson in the 2000's and now the Anza.

First off I will say "Wow" to the $8 million remodel. They did a great job. Rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Our first room had a broken air conditioner and after a failed attempt to fix it, they moved us to a new room. This one was on the 3rd floor.

I will say that the only spot where the remodel was lacking was the elevator. It was very slow, and creaky. It routinely forgot it was going up and I would have to ride it back to the lobby before getting to my floor. Not awful, just annoying.

The only real downside was the coffee/snack bar. It closes at 10:30 and reopens much later in the day. Now, it's not a very big deal it closes because there's a shopping center just steps away. The issue I had was the sign said "be right back" implying the shop was open but the barista had to step away. But after waiting 10-15 min I was told they were closed. Maybe a clearer sign would help?

Otherwise this is a very nice, clean and fairly priced hotel in the Calabasas area. I would give it an 85%.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I came into town for a festival and we stayed at The Anza. The Anza staff was so accommodating to every need and all with a smile!

Our hotel room was very clean. The hotel was full, yet it was very quiet. The Graze has great coffee and great wine at the end of a long day! We will definitely return for another visit!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabasas
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 5 in Malibu
South San Fernando Valley
Hilton Woodland Hills/Los Angeles

Been to The Anza Hotel? Share your experiences!