“Can't wait to return to this little piece of paradise”
Review of Rankin Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caliente
Rankin Ranch
Los Angeles, California
“Can't wait to return to this little piece of paradise”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Never stayed on a ranch before and it had been my dream to do so. Came with my family who don't (or should i say 'didn't') ride so a little dubious about whether they would enjoy it. I needn't have ever worried. From the minute we arrived, we were made to feel so very welcome by the Rankin family - Amanda & Sara were just delightful and we loved hearing Bill's stories about family life at the ranch and his work on the farm/ with the cattle when he joined us on a few occasions for dinner or after meals.

We just loved the fresh, open air and beautiful countryside, the cabins were spacious and very clean and the whole atmosphere was perfectly relaxed and friendly. My children never asked for ipads/ipods, TVs or a phone once during our stay - a first! For all of us i think the highlight was the riding and the horses though - all very well cared for and even tempered (even my favorite, Lightening!). The wranglers- Kelly and Fernando - took care to understand our needs and experience and match us superbly with the horses. My husband loved Buba and the girls loved every horse they were given - i would have brought Lightening home with me if he'd have fitted in my suitcase! Kelly was so much fun and Fernando showed us many points of interest - both made our riding experiences special. Thanks guys.Oh, i cant forget Rosie (the family dog) - my children certainly never will.

Food is excellent - you wont ever go hungry/ Rudy is a great chef. The children loved Louis, who made mealtimes fun. (Don't forget to take your own alcohol though - keep it in the office fridge) We thought the BBQs in the meadow were just the best thing (especially as luck was on our side for the Horse Shoe competition) and we had great fun during the evening activities/entertainment. My girls even enjoyed the football match in the dark that the new friends had arranged with some of the staff.

The pool was lovely and clean and very welcome after a long, hot ride out. Many friendships were formed during the hours spent in and around the pool.

I could wax lyrical about the Rankin Ranch and Rankin family for a long time, but needless to say, we all loved every minute of our relaxing stay and will certainly look to return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Cabins are traditional but very comfortable and clean. Mt Adelaide, the furthest away from the centr...
3 Thank sallyannbutler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It was our first trip to Rankin Ranch and on a farm. From the moment we arrived , we felt welcome and everybody knew our names. We come from Belgium but we were easily introduced and by the evening well acquainted with the Rankin family and other guests.
We liked the internet and IPhone detox and never missed any. The food was great, the company was superb. Horse riding in this surroundings is swell. The cabins date from the 60s ( the airco makes a lot of noise) but the surroundings make up for this and the cabin is clean and well kept. This is a farm and not a 5 star resort .Everything is comfortable and all you need is there.
The city girl I was , changed in a country girl overnight  .
The pool is great and was welcome in the summer heat. Our children loved the horse riding on Dundee and Pete and Rosy, the dog was their all-time favourite. We liked the BBQ on the meadow and we were very lucky with the horse shoe throwing competition. We also appreciated the adults gathering before diner and the conversations at diner.
We will treasure the memories of this summer all through our cold European winters and will keep in touch with the new friends we made .
Thank you Rankin family, we will mention this treasure back home and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

3 Thank mayadv2011
Calabasas, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

As we pull up the drive way to Rankin Ranch, I can see the Welcome sign on the office door and that is exactly how I feel. The tension in my shoulders just eases up and I listen to the excited chatter of my two kids in the back seat. We have been coming up to the ranch for 7 years as a family and it is our favorite vacation by far.

The hospitality of the Rankin family is unmatched. Bill and Glenda Rankin often share meals with their guests and tell us family and ranch stories. When we visit the Rankins it feels like we are spending a week with our close friends. But, the family doesn't end with Bill and Glenda. Their children and their families all have different jobs at the ranch, but what they all have in common is their ability to make you feel welcome.

The cabins are spacious and comfortably sleep 5, but you likely won't spend much time in your cabin. There is so much to do. Horseback riding is available twice a day, there is a beautiful swimming pool and if hiking is your thing there are plenty of trails with amazing views. There is a rec room fully stocked with games, puzzles, books a foosball and pool table. You can also go fishing and Rudy (the cook) will cook your fish up for your dinner, if you like. They have archery, a tennis court and volleyball, soccer, etc.

The kids camp (for kids 4 to 11) provides good old fashioned fun for your children. They make boats and race them in the creek. They make homemade ice cream, fly kites in the meadow and catch frogs. There is no TV in the cabins and my kids don't miss it because their days are filled with fun camp activities. My kids love this week at the ranch as much as my husband and I do.

Then there are the evening activities. After dinner, the kids go down to Sarah's farm to feed the animals and there is an activity planned for all the guests. It is different every night and could be anything from playing horse shoes, to square dancing, to Bingo. What ever it is there is always a lot of laughing and smiling. Everyone is having a great time.

I can't complete this review without mentioning the food! Rudy is the head cook and he makes the best steak I have ever tasted. Every night is something different and every night is something delicious. My husband and I particularly enjoy the chips and homemade guacamole that is available each night at 5:30 (before dinner). You can bring your own wine or drink of your choice and spend an hour with the other adults at the ranch. We have met so many great families over the years that this is one of our favorite times of the day.

I can't say enough wonderful things about Rankin Ranch. If you take one vacation a year, this should be it!

Room Tip: All cabins are the same, but some are closer to the main rec room than others so if that makes a dif...

2 Thank Janet L
San Jose, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Let me first start this off by saying that I LOVE Rankin Ranch and the Rankin family themselves!! I have been coming to this ranch going on 10 years now with my dad and my brother to meet up with family friends every year (we all met here!!). I'm 23 and my brother is 20, so I guess you could say that the fact that we still come back after so long and love it means a lot. We've become close with the Rankins and consider them like family and are welcomed back as family to them every year we are there. The outrageous amount of kindness, generosity, and love the Rankins hold for their ranch, their guests, everything, is amazing. It always feels like home. The food is wonderful, Mexican food night is my favorite, and the home cooked factor is a HUGE plus!! You'll never go hungry here! The landscape, rolling hillsides, fields, and pastures are BREATHTAKING. I Have witnessed some of the most gorgeous sunsets and sunrises here at Rankin Ranch. It's wonderful to be surrounded by fresh country air, solid earth, greenery, and that good ole' back road smell that you can't find anywhere else in the world beside your favorite countryside. There are tons of activities for all ages here, from a kids "camp" to talents shows, from happy hour to horseback riding and fishing, you won't be bored with all the things they offer to occupy your time. The horses are amazing, my favorite being Bear (Teddy Bear, who I've ridden for almost every ride the past ten years but seems to have been retired to the kids horses), and each one is sweet as can be and is usually fitted for your liking or riding style. I have never had a horse I didn't like! Galloping the Old Saw Mill Trail is one of my favorites and the Sunrise Ride is to die for; it's early but so amazingly worth it! The horseshoe tournament and BBQ Dinner in the meadow is a great way to bond with the people you meet and spend time with your family and lounge with the staff. You will never be greeted or talked to by any of the Rankins or staff without a smile on their face, it's so pleasant and warm to see such happy people loving what they do and spending time with the guests. The cabins are so cute and comfy with their quilted beds and country decor, it's the perfect getaway for peace and quiet without the distraction of technology and every day life. A breath of fresh air and much needed time away when things get hectic. Each year I come back I literally am GIDDY with excitement, to me, it's like Christmas morning when you're little in the form of horses, family time, and country everything. There has never been a time where I didn't want to go, and I expect that I will be going for a very long time and cannot wait to introduce my family and kids, whenever that is, to this wonderful place. It has become a vacation we treasure every year and look forward to. The first week of August, with the Rankins, our family friends, and the ranch is probably my favorite week of the year. And that still stands even now, ten years later, and I know it will for many more to come. I can't wait to be back again next year!! We love and miss you, Rankins! Much love, The Walsh's!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bayarea1321
Bodfish, California
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We took our Granddaughters aged 10 and 12 with the expectation that they would get immersed in Ranch life. It was SO much more. The rode horses, swam, played shuffleboard, ladder ball, foosball, games in the rec room, fed baby animals, square dancing! Bunko!, and all under the watchful eye of the counselors. What I didn't expect was the camraderie, friendship, and sportsmanship they exhibited. They were so gracious and made friends with the other guests ... all of this is fostered in the family environment of the Guest Ranch. Grandpa and I relaxed and enjoyed watching our girls have so much fun. We will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: All the cabins are quite comfortable, clean and roomy

1 Thank monical488
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Our family of six spent 4 nights here in May. We had a wonderful week and our kids are angling to return. The Rankins go out of their way to make every guest feel special and welcome.

Of course the highlight is the horseback riding, but there was plenty else to do for our non-rider. In addition to riding twice a day(!), we explored the nearby surroundings, went fishing in a little rowboat on the pond, hiked around the expansive property, Fed
The baby animals at the little petting zoo, swam in the swimming pool, played foosball and board games from their ample supply in the game room, and ate far too much "down-home cookin' !"

The food is tasty & filling, but beware to those watching their weight: the menu, though yummy, hasn't been changed in about 40 years, so those who grew up on old-fashioned church potlucks will smile at the jello salads, the meatloaf, scoops of cottage cheese & canned peaches, friend chicken, macaroni salad, etc. Our kids had never had jello salad (fruit cocktail included!) and delighted at its presence at many a meal that week. :-). Apparently the ranch's matriarch, long gone, did the menu planning back in the day, and the ranch took the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. I gained five pounds but boy, was it tasty!

Another reviewer wrote that the rooms are "comfortable, neither rustic nor luxurious" and I would definitely echo that. The cabins are dated but comfy. Basic comfortable, accommodations, nothing fancy but very adequate. The service staff is friendly and the rooms
are clean.

The ranch does offer a kids program in high season, but we weren't there during high season. They did have evening activities every other evening: fun things like bingo night, and a hay-ride picnic out to the meadow, where they held horseshoe contests and had good old-fashioned fun.

It seems that this place tends to draw nice folks: everyone we
met there was friendly and interesting to talk to, from the Rankins themselves, to wranglers, to the kitchen staff, even the guests! We thoroughly enjoyed our week and hope to be back!

Ps: we thought it had very good value, though at first pass it seems expensive, I think it was about the same, maybe a bit more, than it would have been for our whole family to spend the same amount of time at Disneyland, since the Ranch is all-inclusive, from food to entertainment.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MamaBug
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Last week, on a whim, I decided to drive up to Rankin Ranch and spend a weekend on a real working ranch. I love to ride and I had heard about horseback vacations before, but had never partaken in one. The experience was amazing, the ranch and landscape was beautiful, the horses were friendly and affectionate, and the staff was super friendly and accommodating. My cabin was super comfortable, with a heater provided for the chilly nights.

You can also visit my blog post to see more images of the ranch and horses:

Enjoy, and may you find yourself lost in the rustic beauty of this place!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caliente
Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi Hwy 58 / Mill Street
Lake Isabella / Kern River KOA
Barewood Inn & Suites
Barewood Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights

Been to Rankin Ranch? Share your experiences!