“Rankin Ranch”
Review of Rankin Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caliente
Rankin Ranch
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I have been doing a lot of adventures since last July. This was byfar my favorite. Really nice secluded, large cabins. Bike riding in the meadow, hiking in the hiils. horseback tiding in heaven! The Rankin family are very nice and down to earth. Wine and cheese social, hat wagon lunch in the meadow (great BBQ) . Games at night, met some great friends! All Ican say id DO IT! Come ride at Rankin!!!! P.S. GREAT HORSES , GREATPRICES, GREAT !!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HankRay

Reviewed 4 June 2010

Finally, with school out and summer around the corner, it's time to pack and head to "the Ranch".....Rankin Ranch, that is!
This is our 18th year to celebrate the 4th of July at Rankin Ranch...and our excitement to come back as our "family tradition" continues and grows!
When we discovered Rankin Ranch, through a customer, our 3 boys were 10, 7 and 2 years old. They still look forward to returning each summer; even our future daughter-in-law joins in the tradition. As our family says, "it's like going home!"
We've met such wonderful families over the years...some have grown to become lasting friendships. And then there are those families we re-connect with every 4th of July at the Ranch.
You'll find Rankin Ranch in a wonderful area quiet, hills and mountains around the basin and meadows. Dining in the Garden Room or out in the meadow at the BBQ, food is abundant..3 meals a day! You can stay as busy as you want, or just rest and relax! The counselors are busy with all types of activities for the kids...which is great for parents. Sun by the pool or read a favorite book out on the lawn under the huge trees....definitely relaxing!
We look forward to meeting new friends who have discovered our secret...."The Ranch".
Hope it becomes your family tradition!
Now, back to packing!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank wilso5
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I discovered Rankin Ranch twelve years ago on a fluke. I was flipping through the travel section of the Sunday LA Times and saw a story about a weekend trip to this ranch. I read it, thought, “Hey a nearby dude ranch, cool,” and called to book a weekend in September. I didn’t really know what to expect except I knew that the mountains above Bakersfield were beautiful, and I love to ride horses. I had some second thoughts when I got their brochure which details some of the things you won't find as well as what you will (more below) but I needed a break from a lot of things in my life at the time so I figured what the heck.

What I discovered on arrival was the perfect respite from my hectic life. Besides being in just beautiful country the main reason that it is so blissful is that it has basically no contact with society. This drives some folks crazy – for me it’s perfect! No cell phone service. No phones or TVs in the rooms, no internet (OK the office broke down and got wireless – shhh don’t tell my office), radio service is spotty (XM seems to work well though). I find myself immediately relaxing as my car climbs the Grapevine, leaving LA. And at the point in the hills where my cell phone beeps “no service,” it is like a weight is lifted off my shoulders. I can just relax and “be” with no demands on my time from anyone.

Then there are the people, a group who have become like family. I don’t just mean the owners and their family – they all treat everyone like family the first time you come up to the ranch. But the ranch gets so much repeat business, with guests returning year in and year out on the same weekends, folks like me, that by now there is a core group of friends that are always there for each of my trips. One year my friend Claudia and I decided to go in May for my birthday instead of in September when we both usually go. Two of our friends from our September weekend overheard us talking about changing our trip, and showed up in May to help celebrate my birthday.

And then there are the horses. Picture this. Its 6am – the sun is barely lighting the sky and you walk into the meadow and whistle. 30 horses respond – running through the ground fog, nipping each other’s butts, kicking and snorting as they run into the corral. A few of them walk over to the woman who whistled – who isn’t the person who usually calls them in – because they figure that she may have carrots. And they’re right. One, named Twiggy, slaps his heavy head over the woman’s shoulder like a puppy dog – sniffing at her hair, waiting for his carrot – or three or four. The rides are through beautiful country – the creek, the mountain behind the cabin or the meadows out where the cattle are grazing. The weather is usually beautiful and sunny – I can ride in a tee shirt in the morning and in a tank top in the afternoon. The days are peaceful and unhurried and perfect.

Yep, bliss can be found a short drive from L.A.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dianeinla
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Our family of 6 wranglers from the CA desert spent three terrific days at the Ranch enjoying the hospitality of the Rankin family and their outstanding crew. This was our first visit and we recommend the experience heartily. The activities range from "full decompression" by the lovely pool to riding, fishing, and tons of fun for the children. Meals are wonderful. Scenery is fabulous and we'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Micorb
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We decided on the Rankin Ranch for part of out dream holiday because of two things. 1) its location - being near to the other places we were visiting 2) Its excellent reviews on trip advisor

We were not dissapointed. The ranch is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in a lovely basin surrounded by wooded hills. Only 2 1/2 hours from LA but it could be in another world, and significantly beacuse of its elevation its 10 degrees or more cooler than the bakersfield valley.

The horses are wonderful, well looked after and mostt of them are real working quarter horses though ideal for complete novices like us.

The family and staff make you really welcome, and after a hectic 10days sightseeing this was an oasis of peace and calm. Park the car and forget it, lovely walks, no TV, fresh air, early morning rides and pleanty to keep the kids occupied. Something to do every night whether it was Bingo, Hay Ride and barbeque, Pool Competition, magic show, and in the heat of the day, chilling by the pool, or practicing archery in the shady grove near the playing field.

Every night at 5'oclock there was an hour on the patio just for the adults when you could drink the wine you brought and eat nibbles and get to know your fellow guests (some new, some coming back for their tenth straight year). Then into the charming dining room for home cooked food.

Note; If you want the full on ranch experience roping steers and herding cattle, or an upmarket pampering experience with a bit of riding thrown in this is not for you.

But if you want to spend peaceful days in a little piece of heaven on earth, getting back to nature while having all your needs taken care of and the kids occupied and enthralled then you should book now.

All in all it was just about perfect.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Brought up on John Wayne films a holiday on a ranch had been my dream holiday!
So for my 50th birthday present to myself and my 19 year old twin sons was a week long stay at Rankin Ranch. It lived up to my dream in every way and the boys really enjoyed it, although they were a little unsure before we arrived.
The Rankin family and other guests were very friendly (most had stayed many times before). All the staff were really good and made you feel welcome, especially David the head wrangler. He ensured everyone was happy riding out whether they were novices or old hands. The lopes across the meadow were the highlight of the stay – John Wayne eat your heart out!!!

It's a great place to stay as part of a visit to California and the beauty of the ranch is they cater for all ages. No one gets bored.
Worth crossing the pond for. Annie Oakley

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Wonderful 4 days at Rankin - warm and welcoming, great family holiday - we felt like guests of the Rankin family

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Docstone1

Been to Rankin Ranch? Share your experiences!