“Not good for the price you pay”

Mount View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Not good for the price you pay”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Rooms can have nasty views. It's on the expensive side. Breakfast is not good. Feels like you are in a cell. I asked the staff if I can get another room that doesn't face the air-conditioning system of the building, or a wall, and they refused, saying the hotel is full. It clearly wasn't, so I was lied to. Only the hot tub has mineral water in it, and it is a not very big. The other pool has regular water and you smell like pool chemicals when you get out of the pool. For such a high price per room, stay somewhere else, you'd be better off. I would never return, very disappointed, definitely not matching the money paid to stay there. The only good thing is the location. This is what comes to mind when I think of this hotel one week after I visited.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank venera1122
MountViewMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hello Venera1122, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Mount View Hotel. More than that, I am sorry you feel as if we lied to you. Since all of our rooms are individually appointed, it is policy to show a guest another room if they wish, we try to show the same room type, but will also show upgraded rooms if available. If you were told the Hotel was full, it was indeed full. We understand that not every guest would like to sleep in a room with red walls, or purple walls, so we accommodate room changes when requested and when possible. We do only advertise our Mineral Whirlpool, as our swimming pool, is not built with the Mineral waters. It should not however smell of chemicals, so I will have this checked by our maintenance team immediately. That you for your comments and I do hope you give us another try on a future visit.

Hospitality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent stay! Front desk staff was amazing at recommending wineries, arranging tours and setting up the shuttle service for us. Room was small - but clean and comfortable. My husband and I aren't into sugary pastry breakfast - but we found an excellent spot a few doors down at Sarafornia.
You can find amazing cheese, wine and California IPAs a few doors down at the grocery store to enjoy back in the room.

Historic hotel - with modern finish.

Highly recommend Mount View and Calistoga - worth the extra drive!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cassi D, Guest Relations Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Hello Tanya S. Thank you for the wonderful review! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Mount View Hotel as well as Calistoga as a whole. I agree, it is worth the extra drive. We hope to have you as our guest again.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My mother and I stayed here for us to venture out into wine country. I will say for the price we paid and received two twin beds was a little overrated. I thought the hotel was really nice and good condition however we ran out of hot water. So literally we had to take showers at the spa which was definitely inconvenience. They were nice enough to give us a $100 dollars off for one night. The hotel I will say was in a very convenient location to get around the area. I don't know if I would come here again and stay, but would probably check out St. Helena or Sonoma the next time around.

Room Tip: tell them not put you on the first floor as you will hear everything.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cassi D, Guest Relations Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Hello Jackie R.

Thank you for the review. I do wish to apologize to you again for our water heater going out during your stay. That was in deed a very unfortunate morning and we have had the water heater replaced. We had several rooms affected by that situation and we had it fixed as quickly as possible. Still, the option to shower in the Spa rather than in room is inconvenient. Luckily, water heaters do not go out regularly and with a new heater, we should not see this issue again. Knowing that, I hope you reconsider and stay again. If two Twin beds are not accommodating to your needs, we do also have two Queen Bed suites.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I enjoyed "The Couple Indulgence" at the spa and were very happy with the experience. Very clean and calming atmosphere, the staff were very inviting and lockers for your personal items - great time and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ryanjbrown,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I love hearing that you enjoyed your Couple's Indulgence Spa Package. We hope you are able to come back for some R&R soon. Keep in mind, anytime you book Spa, you are welcome to come and enjoy the full day in our Backyard, with our heated pool & Mineral Whirlpool.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was there on a business trip. The hotel is well located and offers everything that you will need during your trip. The pool is heated, it has hot tub and a lot of restaurants are close by. They offer complimentary continental breakfast delivered at your convenience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Calistoga. The room was a corer room, rather small, but well designed and two large windows overlooking the back of the garden. Everything was very clean. I felt like “back in times” when Calistoga was a small sleepy winery and spa town for the well to do people from San Francisco. We got our towels and slippers at the front desk and enjoyed the lovely quiet pool and hot tub, away from the street in the back of the hotel.

A breakfast was brought to our room next morning at a requested time. We were asked what time we would like our breakfast to be brought to our room after our arrival while registering at the front desk. The breakfast was small, juice, some fruit and pastry with coffee.

The staff was pleasant and courteous.

There are two restaurants in the hotel. We didn’t eat there, but they both seem very nice with elegant menus.

Definitely stay here when you are in Calistoga.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great place , Centrally located in the middle of everything Calistoga. All of the Help was respectful and went out of their way to make our stay the best in the Valley. Serina and Matt at the front desk started our stay off incredibly well offering us tips around town as well as setting up massages and spa treatments we were going to look elsewhere for. Top of the card place at reasonable rates thanks to everyone at Mount View. Defiantly coming back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Bergson
#11 of 15 in Calistoga
Calistoga Spa Hot Springs
Calistoga Spa Hot Springs
#8 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to Mount View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!