“Journeying back in time”
Review of Sharpsteen Museum

Sharpsteen Museum
Ranked #13 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
Castella, CA
“Journeying back in time”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Gorgeously appointed museum, immaculately kept, generous inventory and comprehensive historical information. The women who volunteer there were friendly and accommodating. I was inspired to join.

Visited May 2012

california
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Small, but great local history”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

By museum standards, this is a tiny little place located up a side street in Calistoga. For its size, it has a huge amount about the history of Calistoga and the surrounding area. The staff was local, and all extremely well versed in the information, plus we heard several wonderful anecdotes that had not been written down. The old vacation cottage attached to the museum has some of the best preserved historical furnishings I have seen in a long time- no dust, rust, or cobwebs! The history was well presented and well labeled. A current exhibit of older jigsaw puzzles was fascinating, and the owner materializing to check up on how well the exhibit was working was a bonus we were not expecting. Speaking with him was great fun, and we learned a lot more about the puzzles from a very enthusiastic source! I would definitely recommend taking an hour or two and checking out a non-winery oriented piece of the local history.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank bookwoman54
Santa Cruz
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do Not Miss It”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Fascinating place, a man named Sharpsteen was a principal animator on the Disney classics like Snow White, Fantasia, etc, and he spent his vacations in Calistoga for many years. He loved the town and donated a ton of Disney memorabilia.
There are also a number of historical exhibits on the town itself. We really loved it and the curator is super nice.
It's just off Lincoln about 120 feet from the Yo Rey organic coffee shop.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank SantaCruzElvisC
healdsburg
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Self Guided Tour”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were told the second we arrived it was a"self guided tour"... Nothing could be further from the truth. The same person that said those words to me followed me around and would not stop telling me earfulls of unsolicited information. It made the whole experience unwelcoming to me. I simply wanted to explore on my own. Even after telling this person " i will let you know if I have any Questions" They were unyeilding. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to really take the tour or leave a modest donation. As soon as someone else walked in, we made a run for the exit

Visited June 2012
Portland, Oregon
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This was so interesting and educational. The diorama of the original resort here was amazing. I was surprised by the amount of information and collection of period furnishings. This would be a great family excursion.

Visited July 2012