“Noise, dust, and inappropriate artwork”

Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Davis, California
“Noise, dust, and inappropriate artwork”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We called and reserved a room at the lodge for a Tuesday and were NOT told that landscape crews were working on the adjacent grounds. When we arrived there was dust everywhere from a large tractor and a "ditch witch." A manager apologized and offered a room discount. When calling for a reservation be sure to ask exactly where the construction is being done.

The lodge room was nice, but we noticed that the pictures of the Buddha pond had been replaced by a painting of a semi-nude woman who appeared to have been beaten. Her clothes were torn and there were red and blue blotches on her skin. The woman accompanying me said “gross” when she saw it. Two women in another lodge room said they had a similar painting that was “scary.” A manager told me that the Merchants, the owners, had an artist friend and were involved with a small gallery. Please fill out the feedback forms if you find the artwork offensive. The manager didn’t think the Merchants would remove the inappropriate paintings until several people complained.

We tried to schedule facials at the spa, but the two estheticians were booked. When all of the new buildings are complete, it may be even more difficult getting spa appointments. However, there are several other spas within walking distance.

Room Tip: The best room in the lodge is #30. It's downstairs and farthest from the roadway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jonpan2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Wasn't told about construction when I booked via phone. Ditch witch and excavator outside our room all four days starting at or BEFORE 7:00am. Our stay was not relaxing. Front desk comped 2 of our 4 nights. Would not have booked at all had I been told about the construction beforehand.

Rooms were 1940s funky and small but adequate. Some disrepair but ok.

Pool was fantastic. On site food would be a plus especially with kids but restaurants are close enough. Cafe Sarafornia was great!

It will be a real shame when construction is complete and occupancy is much greater. The end of an era has come.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Mark F
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The biggest problem with my stay was that despite being told there was "some" construction on the property... there was construction EVERYWHERE. Why didn't they do this in November if they were going to do it all at once? I mean, CAT's by the room, digging outside the room, circular saws all day at the pool. Would have booked elsewhere had I not been completely mislead.

When it's done, I would expect it will be awesome - the pool is phenomenal and the grounds are really great, but the construction was really disruptive to a "relaxing" visit.

I would also hope they add some sort of dining. While there is enough nearby, all the competing resorts seem to have their own in house.

Rooms were nice size, beds plush and comfy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 212Girl
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was staying at a Motel in Napa and wanted a day at a meditation resort/spa.
I called at 7AM and they had the time I wanted for a same day service for the Volcanic Mud Bathe. I was shocked at the deal-- $85 bucks for all that-- other spa's I looked at had massages for 180 to $240.
I was excited about the pool heated with hot springs, and their Buddha / zen area.

I stopped at whole foods and packed a lunch and headed up since my pass was good all day for the pool
The pool was awesome and relaxing- not overcrowded on a Friday in June. BUT I am surprised they allow kids at all. Kids want to dive and splash- this is not ZEN LIKE -- it wasn't too crazy though.

The mud bath was amazing, I have never done that before, get ready to sweat out your toxins! I highly reccommend it!

Rewind-- When I arrived I was a little shocked to see almost the whole place under construction, dirt roads, beeping sounds of trucks backing up, fences galore.. It made me nervous that i wouldnt have a relaxing day- and unfortunately I couldn't meditate anywhere because of the noises.

HOWEVER I thought this place was amazing and I want to stay here when construction is DONE! Can't wait!!! --- so just be ware.. wait to book this-- then it will be heaven for sure!!

Other:
Labrynth
Shuffle boards
cucumber water free
various seated areas for relaxation
on a street with cute caffe's

Room Tip: Go when construction is complete!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jessica L
Monterey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I only utilized the spa and pool facility at this location but was extremely pleased with both.

We called (2) days before Memorial Weekend to see what the availability was for a mud bath... we were lucky enough to score the last few appointments for Sunday morning. We walked from our hotel and arrived a few minutes late, the gals at the front desk were super friendly and said they set their clocks back 15 minutes to accommodate guests (unheard of in spas)!
We were sent back to a modest locker room and got dressed in our preppy seersucker robes (loved).
I have to say the entire experience was fantastic... it is definitely an experience with the mud, bath, steam and relaxation but one that I would whole-heartedly book again - especially for $85 which I thought was a screaming deal! We also got access to the gorgeous pool for the rest of the day - amazing, it felt like we were transported back into the 1940's.
*Staff was friendly and even out of their way accommodating for a request to purchase some of their towels
*Beautiful property with fun outside games (bocce, shuffle board, etc.)
*Undergoing some renovations but since I didn't stay there it didn't affect me
*Love the cucumber lotion and mint soap that I bought from gift shop for home
*Love that they had a sign posted offering a free mud bath to any Military personnel for the Memorial Day Weekend!
*Will definitely return for the spa experience... hopefully can add a massage on next time
*Would consider staying at resort... seems a little pricey though
Overall absolutely fabulous experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This property is lovely, but is currently undergoing an expansion. Our noisy week of machinery working from 7:30 am until 6:00 pm and the fabulous geyser pool closed for maintenance, was compensated generously by the owner discounting our stay. We did appreciate that since we were very disappointed with the extent of the construction.
The purpose of this trip however was wine tasting, so we were not on property as much as we usually would be - and when we did enjoy the second "adult" pool, it was pleasant, despite the construction. This was a visit during the week which was clearly the construction heavy period.
We look forward to our next visit - as we have had many in the past - construction free!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have been to the Napa Valley several times and every time I make a trip back to Indian Springs. I think that the resort has a rustic charm that makes it unique. I usually stay in the lodge...the rooms are comfortable with thoughtful touches like a fleece throw for nights stargazing. I like the first floor room because of the front patio with fountain.

My husband and I love the pool...we could float in there for hours. Also, the spa is wonderful and everyone should enjoy a mud bath there.

I understand that they are adding more rooms. I think this is great but I do hope that the resort can maintain the level of tranquility and charm that I love.

Room Tip: I like the end units on the lodge rooms. bottom floor for a nice sitting area (small patio).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PandMinDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Solage, an Auberge Resort
#2 of 15 in Calistoga
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Indian Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!