“Retro Luxury Under Construction”

Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The property strikes a perfect balance between the old and new, maintaining the feel of a resort from another time with well-executed modern updates.

We stayed in a cottage with a kitchenette. The cottage was spacious, with a nicely updated bathroom and a front and back porch. The bed was super comfortable.

As other reviewers have noted, Indian Springs is undergoing significant construction that you can't avoid. I didn't mind it but I could see it being disruptive if you're easily bothered or perhaps have a lodge room closer to the work.

Surprisingly, Indian Springs is a great place for families. The grounds allow for roaming and there are various open-air games like shuffleboard and bocce. We brought our baby and were a bit worried it would be awkward at the pool, but people were welcoming and there was a toddler enjoying the pool. There is an adult pool, so we felt okay knowing if our baby was really interrupting someones's calm they had another pool to enjoy. The cottage set up was great with a baby and the staff were gracious about our stroller.

We had massages when we were there. Fantastic! The spa locker room is cramped but the massage rooms are updated and tranquil. I would go back for a massage and a day trip. The pool is incredible.

A nice plus in wine country - the town is mere steps from the hotel, so you can get provisions from Cal Market, have wine with dinner or just walk around without having to get in your car.

Small cons:
The check in to the hotel was rude and slow, which started a relaxing stay on the wrong note.
The spa bathrooms were broken and there were hotel staff addressing the issue, which of course is necessary, but that plus a tiny awkward waiting area for the spa didn't equal a feeling of luxury and relaxation. It dissipated once I got on the massage table but I have it seen that addressed with a little more grace in similar properties.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Janegallaghers
Write a ReviewReviews (2,571)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited Calistoga for the day with my sister and husband. We all booked massages and time at the pool. We really enjoyed our massages. The locker rooms were a bit cramped, but the massage suites were nice.

The pool was awesome - huge and warm. Nice towels, nice chairs. The locker room by the pool is very retro, but it was fine.

I would absolutely come back in a heartbeat for this huge dose of relaxation.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at Indian Spring twice and when we return to the area, we will stay there again. The property is tastefully decorated, sitting among a gorgeous landscape located in the quaint town of Calistoga. The property is removed from the hustle and bustle of the wineries, but close enough that it's a short drive to many. Indian Spring has an olympic size pool heated by the nearby hot springs. Along with the spa services, the place is absolutely rejuvenating. The staff is quite friendly, and yet quite "invisible" at the same time. While the property was spotless, I rarely saw cleaning carts or heard vacuums running. The only staff I saw regularly were groundskeepers making sure the pristine landscaping was well kept. As far as Calistoga, I was taken back to a different time. The town is so quiet and the people so friendly. Indian Springs in located at the end of the main street in "downtown" Calistoga. If you get a chance to see the film Bottle Shock, do so as the local town used in the film is Calistoga. It has a couple great bars/restaurants right on Lincoln Ave. I have been through California from San Diego all the way to the north and have been absolutely delighted with my stays at Indian Springs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Indian Springs has been doing it right for eons — way before this area has become a magnet for winos the world over! All class with white bead boards and wainscot, a heated mineral pool, clawfoot tubs for soaking during your spa experience. The mud bath is definitely the tops in the area, with discreet assistants, lots of hydration, a sauna, and, glorioski, a nap cubby! Don't miss a dip in the pool and massages as well — I'd say almost all of the massage therapists have been tops!

Room Tip: The bungalows are little nicer than the regular apartment-style hotel rooms, from what I recall, but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here in July. I would have given it the highest rating except for the construction going on. They are expanding. The huge hot springs pool is fabulous and the town is quaint. It is a very convenient location in wine-tasting country.

Room Tip: Choose a cottage away from construction.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suecjohnson
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have loved this spot since we first visited about 5 years ago. Not pretentious, good customer service and lovely property. The addition of an adult pool is great! You can escape to a totally quiet pool if that's your goal. No cell phones is also a plus!
Loved the message services-

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I have been here at least 10 times. We tried the other hotels in Calistoga, but they just don't measure up. The Solage hotel is too fancy, the other hotels are like motels, but the Indian Springs just has the right feel to it. My mother in law said if perfect... "When you turn of the street into the Indian Spring drive way, your heart just seems to slow down a bit. You whisper at the pool, you walk with a slow swagger, and you breath in the amazing-ness of the garden." They are working on expanding the hotel, so we will have to see how that goes. But I know they will do it right and keep the vibe.

Now here are the tips...

Get there early. Check in is at 3 or 4, but you can use the pool all day. Bring some wine and lunch and just chill by the pool with some magazines or word puzzles.

Go to the pool late at night and/or early in the morning. Laying in the pool at night could change your life.

We like the lodge rooms on the bottom floor the best.

Tea and coffee area in the morning is also magical. Newspapers, coffee and Tea are provided. They have these giant plush chairs for two people. And my wife and I just listen to the water features and talk about how much we love each other. We like to get the pastries the day before and eat them.

The town is very nice. We like to go before dinner and shop a bit. All the restaurants are good.

Lastly this place is built for relaxation and meditation. Take time to really force yourself to use the Indian Springs for all its magic.

I plan to go once a year till I can't go anymore.

Room Tip: Lodge Bottom Floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple